Patrolling SOPs

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Schoolboy error. You don’t really provide the greatest patrol value with dead weight. Unless those weights belonged to him, true patrol skills would entail it being his own equipment or personal possessions. They are less likely to accidentally fall out of his bergan once their presence is confirmed.

Real patrol value is found from his iron, his books, his best boots etc.
Also ensures that said individual, if necessary, can successfully partake in an impromptu change parade.

Don't wear a wedding dress and wellington boots on patrol.

Unless of course, you are an African Infantry man.

When passing messages down the patrol using official and approved hand signals, make sure to invent and inject a few of your own, thus leaving the man behind utterly confused and shout whispering "What the **** does that mean?' , getting no answer and attempting to send the Chinese whisper signal further on the line adding greater and greater confusion as the message moves on.
Extra stress can be induced by sending them in Braille on soggy paper.

Truxx

LE
Quiet communication is vital

creep creep creep

Sperlashhhhhh!!!!!!

muffled voices to the chap behind...

Ditch.......

ditch.......

ditch.......

Ditch......

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Issuing each soldier with a kazoo will enable the patrol to disguise itself as a swarm of malarial mosquitoes, thus deterring the enemy from close approach and facilitating an unhindered reconnaissance of his* forward and in-depth positions.

*Other genders are available. Probably.

I seem to recall spams referring to an inverted L......
That's an HF antenna . . .

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Evening,

I am currently writing a list of Patrols SOPs, the stuff that you know but they haven’t been taught in a formal lesson such as ambushes or Section Battle Drills.

Such as the tap up and down before setting off to make sure everyone is aware your about to move or the all round defence procedure of PACESSDO etc,

What have you been taught / introduced to? share away.
So, Leo.

Thread going as expected?

When on a covert patrol don't fall through an old grave and get your foot stuck in the coffin, as this causes the rest of the patrol to hurt themselves by trying to laugh quietly whilst rolling around on the ground !
Trust your oppos to not leave you behind after all round defence during the elections in 1979,near Jonesborough heading for an OP on Kilnasaggart Bridge.
Then blame you-------- (1 time RM ML cpl, later Major/1 time-later SBS WO2}.
There were 8 in the op---- or 7,not including me,for a short time-- Didn't help that radio had been knocked off frequency. ;)

When you have read, digested and taken on board, ALL the none SOP's listed above and finally make it out on your 1st patrol.

Should you happen to get bumped and actually manage to engage the enemy, the flying lawyer / debrief team really do not want to hear the following answers.

Q - How many rounds did you fire ?

A - All of them.

Q - Why did you stop firing ?

A - I ran out of ammo.

Trust your oppos to not leave you behind after all round defence during the elections in 1979,near Jonesborough heading for an OP on Kilnasaggart Bridge.
There were 8 in the op---- or 7,not including me,for a short time-- Didn't help that radio had been knocked off frequency. ;)
Could it be that they just didn't like you, and were trying to make a point.

When you have read, digested and taken on board, ALL the none SOP's listed above and finally make it out on your 1st patrol.

Should you happen to get bumped and actually manage to engage the enemy, the flying lawyer / debrief team really do not want to hear the following answers.

Q - How many rounds did you fire ?

A - All of them.

Q - Why did you stop firing ?

A - I ran out of ammo.
Reminds me of bludy sunday.

As a matter of interest. As a Royal Marine, do you pack your little black cocktail dress and heels in your fighting order. Just in case.

I've heard stories of Russian Toms who had the tread pattern from our BCH/DMS boots on their boot soles, so as to confuse our trackers.
Allegedly they used to also mount the soles backwards to make it look as if they were moving in the other direction.

When you have established your OP and your weapons are loaded with live ammo ensure your boss creeps up to your position at first light to check your cam.

Without telling you.
That must be like moving in and securing a location and whilst you are waiting for the others to bimble up an unknown team arrives all tooled up. Turned out the boss did’nt tell me he was expecting company.

I think both those examples come under the heading of “effective communication”.

Latest Threads