Patrick Moore: A Touching Message From A Real Friend

From The Telegraph Online, today, a clearly heartfelt and thus touching message from Brian May, Author of A Survey of Radial Velocities in the Zodiacal Dust Cloud, and part-time musician with the popular beat combo 'Queen':

Brian May: the truth about Sir Patrick Moore's estate

All hail Sir Patrick, the inspiration for many generations of stargazers, some who turned out to be thinkers and reasoners consequent to his eccentric, endearing and ultimately fascinating ramblings.

Nice One, Pat

His sci-fi books about Mars and the moon set me up for a life time love of science fiction.

His sci-fi books about Mars and the moon set me up for a life time love of science fiction.
I don't do Sci-Fi as a rule, but this was the guy who made me want to look at encylopedias and such, and spend more of my time at school checking out every mere suggestion the old chap invoked, rather than the dreary ins and outs of Bathsheba Everdene's love life, and even Sillitoe and Lawrence who, it turns out weren't bad. But Patrick was Bad.

Given what was known when he started out, and what's known now, I reckon he'd be chuffed to fuck.

Last edited:
He was doing the drake equation and possibility of ET. The Q&A at the end had quite few moon howlers and was most entertaining.

I asked him what his first telescope was, and what did he look at with it.

”A scavaged lense and eyepiece attached to a plank, the whole gubbins tied to a chimney pot. The moon, always the moon.”

He replied. He was eleven if I recall correctly.

Read his autobiography, very un pc. Last of the true characters on TV.
Aye, hated Krauts for killing his beloved in a bombing raid, something he held on to for the rest of his life. While I don't subscribe to that point of view, I, never having a fiancée bombed out of existence, feel that the chap was fully entitled to his stance and, having experienced what he did, was fully entitled to his thoughts.

Read his autobiography, very un pc. Last of the true characters on TV.
Not read that. I'll buy the wife a copy for Christmas.

He wrote a book on how to annoy beurocrats; rubbing a candle stub over any box on a form marked “For Official Use Only” being a piece of advice that comes to mind.

Last edited:
Aye, hated Krauts for killing his beloved in a bombing raid, something he held on to for the rest of his life. While I don't subscribe to that point of view, I, never having a fiancée bombed out of existence, feel that the chap was fully entitled to his stance and, having experienced what he did, was fully entitled to his thoughts.
Yet he had the same sentimental attitude to cute furry animals that Badger-Botherer May has, that's always struck me as a curious dichotomy.

Yet he had the same sentimental attitude to cute furry animals that Badger-Botherer May has, that's always struck me as a curious dichotomy.
I fail to see the dichotomy, unless the Dorniers were piloted and crewed by Badgers, an unlikely scenario, given the Krauts had bred, over many years, Dachshunds (Badger Dogs) 'cos they're even more weird about the things than we are.

A lovely man who inspired generations.

I have a lifelong love of astronomy courtesy of a small book he wrote half a century ago I was given to read at school. He also produced a small textbook for O level astronomy that I bought from my pocket money in the 70's and sat the exam 'on spec' - I passed, one of only 13 people to sit it that year.

I got to meet the great man himself in the 80's. He's donated a small telescope to a local astronomy club but it had a broken clutch. My then boss mentioned it in passing and I offered to repair it for them. He came to the society and thanked me in person.

A unique man, a true renaissance man.

B

bumgrapes

Indeed, something sorrowful about holding on to such hatred for 70+ years though

Indeed, something sorrowful about holding on to such hatred for 70+ years though
Having spoken to some of those who went through it, it's clear that attitudes were, in certain circles, different than they might be nowadays: for every 'Through The Barricades' love story, I imagine one of hatred and enmity might exist, rightly or not, and we, or at least I, can only accept and understand.

Sorrowful is a splendid word to describe what the poor old fucker's 70 years of hatred meant to him, and his love for Lorna. We can't adjust that.

I saw Sir Patrick doing a slightly bizarre evening's entertainment at Lancaster University when I was 7 or 8. It was mainly astronomy lecture, with him talking about the planets interspersed with him playing the xylophone accompanied by a full orchestra.

Some were his own compositions if I remember rightly, mixed in with well known pieces from the classical repetoire.

It's stuck with me for getting on for 40 yrs as being a fantastic evening with one of Britain's true eccentrics.

Latest Threads