Patrick Leigh Fermor DSO OBE

Died today, aged 96. A great writer, fine raconteur and a gallant soldier - and, one gathers, a monster on the piss. RIP.

P

pp0470

Lived life to the full I see:

At the age of 18, Leigh Fermor decided to walk the length of Europe, from the Hook of Holland to Constantinople.[2] He set off on 8 December 1933, shortly after Hitler had come to power in Germany, with a few clothes, the Oxford Book of English Verse and a volume of Horace's Odes. He slept in barns and shepherds' huts, but also was invited by landed gentry and aristocracy into the country houses of Central Europe.
Patrick Leigh Fermor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

p.s. worth a look out on radio4 obituary program, Last Word.

What lunatic picked a raging poof like Dirk Bogarte to play Paddy Fermor? What a waste of an amazing story. (Ill Met by Moonlight)

A very dignified funeral service today at St Peter's Church, Dumbleton. PLF buried next to his wife. "Flowers of the Forest," on the way to the grave and an Irish Guards bugler sounding Last Post. Irish Guards and Int Corps well represented.

A very dignified funeral service today at St Peter's Church, Dumbleton. PLF buried next to his wife. "Flowers of the Forest," on the way to the grave and an Irish Guards bugler sounding Last Post. Irish Guards and Int Corps well represented.
Glad to hear that, would have liked to be there myself but work got in the way.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Agreed, But I also enjoyed the Cretan runner, which although is not his book gives a good account of his exploits in Crete.
Agreed, but how does one pronounce Psychoundakis (spelled from memory)?

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
What lunatic picked a raging poof like Dirk Bogarte to play Paddy Fermor? What a waste of an amazing story. (Ill Met by Moonlight)
Not fair. He did his bit in WW2.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Damn, of course he was. I knew that, thinking about it, I was confusing it with a hazy memory of his being in Crab Air rig in some forgettable movie or other. Thanks for the correction, FF, my bad.
'Appointment in London' I think. Bomb on the green TI.

Latest Threads