Patrick Leigh Fermor DSO OBE

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Glad_its_all_over, Jun 11, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Died today, aged 96. A great writer, fine raconteur and a gallant soldier - and, one gathers, a monster on the piss. RIP.

2. Lived life to the full I see:

Patrick Leigh Fermor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

p.s. worth a look out on radio4 obituary program, Last Word.

3. How sad - I was just reading about him yesterday in Antony Beevor's excellent 'Crete'

4. Very sad.His books are terrific-a portal into a byegone world.

5. What lunatic picked a raging poof like Dirk Bogarte to play Paddy Fermor? What a waste of an amazing story. (Ill Met by Moonlight)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Agreed, But I also enjoyed the Cretan runner, which although is not his book gives a good account of his exploits in Crete.

7. A very dignified funeral service today at St Peter's Church, Dumbleton. PLF buried next to his wife. "Flowers of the Forest," on the way to the grave and an Irish Guards bugler sounding Last Post. Irish Guards and Int Corps well represented.

8. Glad to hear that, would have liked to be there myself but work got in the way.

9. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

Agreed, but how does one pronounce Psychoundakis (spelled from memory)?

10. FORMER_FYRDMAN

Not fair. He did his bit in WW2.

11. No probs at all with his bowling from the gasworks end, the issue is that the ****** was a crab.

12. FORMER_FYRDMAN

13. Damn, of course he was. I knew that, thinking about it, I was confusing it with a hazy memory of his being in Crab Air rig in some forgettable movie or other. Thanks for the correction, FF, my bad.

14. FORMER_FYRDMAN

'Appointment in London' I think. Bomb on the green TI.