Patients stacked in ambulances parked outside A&E

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Blogg, May 31, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A major incident? No, result of understaffing and more fcuking numbers games around the 4 hour A&E wait time target to hide the dreadful truth.

Patients forced to wait hours in ambulances parked outside A&E departments

"Ambulance chiefs have warned that lives are being put at risk "on a daily basis" by long delays allowing patients into Accident and Emergency units.

An investigation by The Sunday Telegraph has found that thousands of 999 patients are being left to wait in ambulances in car parks and holding bays, or in hospital corridors – in some cases for more than five hours – before they can even join the queue for urgent treatment.

Experts warn that hospitals are deliberately delaying when they accept patients – or are diverting them to different sites – in order to meet Government targets to treat people within fours hours of admitting them."

Appears that since family doctors stopped providing routine out-of-hours care five years ago emergency hospital admissions have risen by 30 per cent. In that same period the number of hospital beds fell by more than 20,000.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/5412191/Patients-forced-to-wait-hours-in-ambulances-parked-outside-AandE-departments.html

2. Don't worry, things in Canada are just as broken as the NHS. Though I'm happy to say no one has ever waited in the back of my ambulance before, being stacked up in hallways for hours at a time is par for the course these days. Some times you're actually better off going in on your own rather than by ambulance as the hospital staff are forced to take responsibility for you rather than relying on us to continue care for all eternity. My personal record is 8 hours and I know of patients who've had entire shifts change around them, 20+ hours!

3. Been happening at The University Hospital Of Wales for years so as to comply with New Labour targets

4. Having been through the NHS emergency system from injury to current operation 5 ops and counting (2 years in total) I can say the emergency part of the whole process is the most efficient and professional part of the whole shooting match...............

5. Targets?

What about that frightfully old fashioned notion of "Triage"?

Have dedicated Nurse and/or Doctor who checks every incoming patient and assigns them a priority. (or talks to the paramedics and assigns priority). You know 1, 2, 3 etc.

A handy computer system could easily help out. Identifing the next patient to be seen, and upgrading priorities if they have been waiting too long.

Doesn't have to be expensive a simple Access database could do it.

6. An entire generation (going on generations) of people who walk in to the emerg for every stubbed toe, and splinter sure doesn't help matters either. Or the flood of newly landed who are experiencing modern medicine for possibly the first time. Does no one tell these people that come winter that gooey shit leaking from your nose is snot and not brains and you've just got a cold not the plague and all you need is a cup of tea and a warm bed?

7. They'd get the idea pretty swiftly if they were sat in A&E for 48 hours though :D

The Triage party could give simple advice such as "you'll be here for days mate, why don't you fcuk off and rest for a while?"

8. P1ss Heads!

Thats who is causing this problem. People who get so bladdered they can't stand, but their sh1tty civvy mates who couldn't give a fcuk about them just leave them to it in the street rather than throw them over their shoulder and carry them back to their scratcher. (We've all been there but then as they say day 1 week 1. Your army mates are your real mates).

Then you have the brand of P1ss Head that can't have a night out anymore without fighting. Then because they are hammered they seriously hurt themselves or some innocent passer by then they need medical aid.

Lastly you have the lonely p1ss head. Who gets smashed every night and probably becomes suicidal or just angry with everyone other than themselves. These ones are well known to the hospital staff and are on first name terms in quite alot of cases with Police, Paramedics, Nurses and Doctors. (Usually in that order).

This fcuk wit culture of Booze Binging we have at the moment is pushing the NHS through the floor. The staff are absolutely swamped with drink related patients. So much so if like me you spend alot of time in A & E watching the world go by you see that the old coffin dodgers, genuine hard working types and kids (Even babies) quite often find themselves being pushed further and further to the back of the queue.

So next time your on a night out and you see that random character who is smashed falling in and out of the road. Ask yourself; Is it really that funny?

Personally I think a system needs to be in place for handing out fines to those who get so bladdered they need an ambulance and a hospital bed to look after them.

9. Like what C-J says. I am a police officer, my OH a paramedic, I would say we spend half our lives at least dealing with drunks of various types., and it all costs you money in taxes and takes resources away from more deserving cases. And i got headbutted last night, :roll:

Trotsky

10. the NHS lacks Leadership and is morally incompetent. I have experinced this first hand when my daughter was Born (4 weeks ago) the problems we encountered were because of depressed staff (who were over worked) and over commited to Scum (who should not be breeding)..

11. This is a continuation of the NHS thread. With regards to A&E, the triage system is still in place but government targets still state they should be dealt with in 4 hours so sticking someone with a minor cut to the back of the queue still means they have to be dealt with in 4 hours.
    Minor coughs, colds, toothache, acne, needing the morning-after pill etc are all cases dealt regularly by the A&E despite 24 hour doctor clinics and emergency dentists being available. A&E staff get a lot of abuse (verbal and physical) when they tell the patient to go elsewhere as they are busy dealing with drunks, car accidents and (sometimes) serious cases like heart attacks and respiratory failure.
    The GP surgery I worked at (very high SE Asian population) was full to the rafters every day with minor things which used to be dealt with by Mum sticking a plaster on or using a bit of Dettol. Now they queue up out the door for "emergency" appointments for the most stupid, mundane reason. Oh, and they insist on antibiotics for colds and coughs despite being told they won't work. They then complain like f**k when they have been waiting a couple of hours to get the free prescription for Calpol or Bonjela.
    Make free (which are really publically paid for) prescriptions only for something costing over £2 and it'd cut the queues by half.
    A&E in Leicester has the out of hours GP surgery right next door but people still insist on going to A&E for the minor cr@p. Telling them what A&E stands for might be a step in the right direction and refuse to see anyone else. Plus, charge the drunks for their treatment and prosecute them if they cause havoc.

12. I can attest to the 'oo best see a doctor, lets go to A&E'.....

I have been to A&E ONCE in my lifetime, and that was for a serious head injury requiring stitches. I did not grow up needing a doctor for every little complaint, arguably, yes my mother was a nurse but I still have the attitude that if I can walk, talk, and breathe, and am not pissing out torrents of claret, I will survive, and I will self treat, sometimes more than I should.

Wifey on the otherhand, insists that every little complaint is a sign of AIDS/cancer/lou gehrigs disease and has been to the doctor more times than I can remember. It seems she was raised to be mortally afraid of sickness, and this lasted through her adult years.

I put the difference down to my military, not quite right side of tracks upbringing (something hurts? take aspirin, soldier on! or more likely a case of not wanting to be seen as a biff) and hers a very liberal, middle class, suburban upbringing, the kind of people who complain of rain/drizzle in england in winter, then go on holiday to the middle east and complain about the heat.

Drives me up the wall.

I agree with most of the above, toss out the losers who want a free plaster or calpro, treat the drunks to the bare minimum, then put the bill in the mail (or arrest them), and TRIAGE, losing the 4 hour target in the process.

13. When I did a 3 day work placement in an a+e i was told/gathered the following:

Whilst the four hour target is clearly causing issues in this case, on the whole it has done some good, as other depts no longer ignore the a& requests for help/refferals, so on the whole people are getting treated quicker.

However 4 hours was an arbitary figure chosen by suits, not doctors, and is applied to everyone. And if a patient is in a & e four over fours hours, the dept reponsible gets fined :roll: Great help. Also in some cases the a&e may want to keep people for over four hours. And the amount of old people coming in with serious fall realated injuries during the day time, and the refusing to go to the falls clinic to determine what caused them to fall as staggering.

14. People need to start and take responsibility for themselves more and stop wasting the paramedics and nurse/doctors time with shit.

15. And also **** off PC brigade and let me tell people what i really think of your waste of time 999 call!