Patient dies after lighting up

Having had firsthand experience of the Northern General in Sheffield I can believe that NOBODY bothered to ask if he was a smoker and NOBODY told him that he was a walking firebomb. Sue the barstewards, I would. Smoking doesn't kill in this case, medical negligence does.

RIP mate and have one for me wherever you are.

Rabbi_Cait said:
"Nurse i'm just nipping outside to burst into flames"....... she didnt realise he ment it literally.
Yer, you've got to laugh but that hospital was bad and I mean bad.

He only had a fag because the Nicobollox patches kept falling off.

mistersoft said:
Having had firsthand experience of the Northern General in Sheffield I can believe that NOBODY bothered to ask if he was a smoker and NOBODY told him that he was a walking firebomb. Sue the barstewards, I would. Smoking doesn't kill in this case, medical negligence does.

He was at Doncaster Royal Infirmary when he torched himself and was then moved to the burns unit at Northern General.

I have always found the staff at Northern General very professional and kind.

Bennett said:
mistersoft said:

He was at Doncaster Royal Infirmary when he torched himself and was then moved to the burns unit at Northern General.

I have always found the staff at Northern General very professional and kind.
Thank you, I sit corrected. Still not exactly a good advertisement for care on the fire escape.

mistersoft said:

Hmmm why do you think he was on the fire escape?!? Because there is no smoking in hospital...how would the staff know he was off out for a fag?!?

It is not medical negligence, was not the medical treatment that killed him it was his lack of willpower!

Spot the nurse.....and no I don't work in Doncaster!

Wasn't there a similar case a few years back; someone sparked up a fag whilst on some intensive oxygen treatment, ended up in the big ashtray in the sky?

As for the family of the dead suing the NHS - The guy was simply unlucky, my condolences to his family, friends and his tobacconist.

CC_TA

Apparently he was told not to smoke by a nurse but he didn't hear the advice as he was listening to the "yeah yeah yeah song" on his Walkman. :lol:

...Coat!

CC_TA said:
Wasn't there a similar case a few years back; someone sparked up a fag whilst on some intensive oxygen treatment, ended up in the big ashtray in the sky?
i doubt it, oxygen isnt actually flamable, it just supports combustion.
my boss at the metalwork factory proved it by holding a fag in a stream of oxygen vapor, and it made it burn very hot, and very quickly!

as far as the poor cnut that caught himself alight goes, unlucky, but if he was told not to smoke, and did it anyway, T.S
if you sued for every stupid thing that happened, we'd be in America....and no-one wants that....right?

I agree with F_S.

For all we know, he may have been told NOT to smoke and he just went ahead and ignored the nurses/doctors. If so, unlucky and as they say in the Russian Navy, toughski shitski.

If, on the other hand, he wasn't told, then well, toughski shitski again, smoking is bad for you!! And RIP....

finbarr_saunders said:
my boss at the metalwork factory proved it by holding a fag in a stream of oxygen vapor, and it made it burn very hot, and very quickly!
Yep. Thing is, go above a certain oxygen concentration (50% or so rings a bell, but I'm not sure) and all sorts of things start becoming extremely flammable. Bed linen for instance...
To see just how much hotter things can get, google for the video of someone dumping several litres of liquid oxygen onto a lit barbecue. It was safe (they knew what they were doing) but very spectacular.

mistersoft said:

Sorry have to disagree here. According to the article, 'hospital staff followed the correct procedures.' I have presumed therefore that he was warned about the dangers and of his own free will chose to have a cigarette.

Some people will try and sue the NHS for anything. I've worked in the Dept of Health and had some woman complain about the terrible level of care received by her daughter at the birth of her child immediately after a c-section. Labour was fine, birth was fine, baby healthy, so far, so good. What could it be? Her daughter was 'made' to walk down three corridors after major c-section surgery dragging her own drip ... wait for it... so she could have a fag. Outrageous! Those cruel nurses!

For someone to need a fag that badly after birth probably meant she was smoking throughout pregnancy anyway.

Nurses are needed on wards not to babysit grown adults indulging themselves!

Phew! glad to get that off my chest!

mistersoft said:

The first nurse on the scene was quoted as saying "It was just tragic, my marshmallow fell off the stick".

pdf27 said:
finbarr_saunders said:
Yep. Thing is, go above a certain oxygen concentration (50% or so rings a bell, but I'm not sure) and all sorts of things start becoming extremely flammable. Bed linen for instance...
To see just how much hotter things can get, google for the video of someone dumping several litres of liquid oxygen onto a lit barbecue. It was safe (they knew what they were doing) but very spectacular.
There's an old tale that has been doing the rounds in Crab Air since Pontius was a pilot about a Nav or AEO on the V Force who took his mask off (left it dangling near his chin) to eat a cheese sandwich. The grease on the cheese went up and he lost his eyebrows- not mention the pants-wetting experience of a fire cabin fire on board an aircraft in flight. No idea as to its authenticity though.

I pi$$ed myself laughing. What a mong. At least he has freed up a bedspace. Personally I would refuse to treat any smoker on the NHS. Compulsary nicotine testing by GP's or A&E or upon admission. If you have any traces of of nicotine in your body or on your fingers then you have to pay for treatment. Regardless of your injury/condition. Broken leg ? Smoker ? Then fcuk off and pay for private medicine. It will soon help weaklings quit tobacco.

58_Pattern said:
I pi$$ed myself laughing. What a mong. At least he has freed up a bedspace. Personally I would refuse to treat any smoker on the NHS. Compulsary nicotine testing by GP's or A&E or upon admission. If you have any traces of of nicotine in your body or on your fingers then you have to pay for treatment. Regardless of your injury/condition. Broken leg ? Smoker ? Then fcuk off and pay for private medicine. It will soon help weaklings quit tobacco.
I totally agree with 58_Pattern. After years of working in the NHS and daily coming into contact with the numbnuts that think smoking is 'harmless and not a big thing'! If memory serves me correctly I was on the team assisting a below knee amputation on a heavy smoker. Poor circulation caused by vascular disease, resulting in toes going manky!
Two days later while leaving the theatres I noticed this herbert in his wheelchair having a fag 8O The surgeon at the time had warned him to stop or the other leg was at risk. Duh!!
Some folks just want to go AWOL body part at a time :? :?

Just to compound matters he had his oxygen cylinder and mask in his lap. :x :x

Roast the weenie :twisted: :twisted:

TopChick said:
mistersoft said:

how would the staff know he was off out for a fag?!?
Maybe because his bed was empty?

mistersoft said:
TopChick said:
mistersoft said:

how would the staff know he was off out for a fag?!?
Maybe because his bed was empty?
Have you ever worked in a hospital? It is not always possible to observe every patient all of the time- and occasionaly they tell lies so they can sneak off for smokes and stuff! So do not blame the nurses for failing to notice the patient was AWOL.

Latest Threads