Pathfinder Platoon Officer

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by the drake, May 13, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello,

Just curious what positions are available for officers in the Pathfinder Platoon. I understand that the OC is almost always a Major. What positions are available at LT and Capt.?

Also, how much experience is necessary as a platoon commander before attempting PF selection?

Thanks.

2. I assume you're not already a serving officer, otherwise you wouldn't be here asking.

3. Cha Wallah, I believe.

FBG

4. Unless things have changed since it was last explained to me: OC PF is a Captain. When 16AA Bde deploys (to Afghanistan, at least) the PF Pl becomes the core of the sub-unit strength 16BRF, which is indeed commanded by a Major. I would assume that in its guise as a sub-unit, it would have a structure like any other BRF, which would include Lts or (more likely) Capts as Tp/Pl Comds. I suspect that because all of the other Army Bdes (not sure about 3X) are getting established sub-unit strength BRFs, in the shape of one of the three Sqns from their BRRs, that 16X will somehow adjust its establishment to ensure that the PF Pl becomes a PF/Recce/BRF Coy (although I suspect not based on a BRR Sqn for obvious reasons).

I should say that I have no recent insider knowledge of the 16X establishment and am more than content to be corrected by someone in the know.

5. daywalker

daywalker LE Reviewer

On the last PF cadre there were 2 types of pass handed out, a PF pass and a BRF pass. The ones with BRF passes were only taken on strength for the herrick tour and were to be rtu'd afterwards.