Pathe news, P14, SMLE, FN and EM2

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by ugly, May 15, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

2. Try this.

3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I did!
  4. £30 for an FN. Just a tad more now for the SA80 :lol:

5. the EM2 "not much use for squad drill" perhaps the real reason why this amazing rifle was binned. Can't blame the yanks for everything.
  6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

We can for this although it was WSC common sense that prevailed as to binning the No9.
    The rifle would have been drilled in the end as the L85 was. The manual was substantially rewritten for the L1A1 so it was coming anyway.
  7. Was the 280 MG an FN MAG prototype?
  8. No - there were several British prototype MGs around at this time, from the likes of BSA and Enfield. Think the one in the film is the Enfield X11E2, which was also made in 7.62. Some of the Brit designs were very promising (eg Bren gun mechanics modified for belt), but all fell victim to good old procurement politics and budget constraints. Both MAG and FAL had to be bought off-the-shelf after native programmes fell victim to MoD clusterfnuck. Luckily for us, both weapons turned out to be excellent.
  9. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

*sigh* I miss my old FN
  10. Don't we all!
  11. I really enjoyed the SLR. Oh and the Small Metal Gun!

Bring us back some real gats and none of this poncy stuff 8O

12. If the Yanks could drop 7.62 infavor of 5.56- And lose a major war at the same time, then we could have gone with our rifle. It was lack of will, I can't see a rifle costing as much as some of the other procurement fiascos. Personally I blame the same retard factory that ignored the Whitworth rifle- namely the British Army.

That MG in the video seemed to have a fearsome rate of fire- a reversed engineered MG42 p.raps?
  13. Good grief. How far ahead of the game were we with the EM2 system?

The TSR2 of Infantry rifles?

Liking the LSW/MSW very much indeed.
  14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

The GPMG was also in .280 it was called the Taden I think, it was effectively a belt fed version of the Bren.
    The EM2 was accepted into service by the Labour Govt as the rifle No.9. The tories under Churchill canned it in a fit of reality quite sadly. Slim reputedly had its full auto capability removed rendering the ammo supply situation more complex with the need for 9mm sten and .303 bren to be kept in the inventory. Quite a sad affair really as all those who have ever handled one would testify I believe that it was a well enginered design almost free from accountants!
  15. Ugly's hit the nail on the head about the EM2/ SA80. There's nothing instrinsically wrong with the 5.56 rifle(or whatever they call it this week) It's just been put together by the British Leyland of rifle manufacture.