Paternity Leave

Discussion in 'Officers' started by insert_witty_slogan_here, Nov 17, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have a 9 week old daughter but I'm at Sandhurst so don't get any paternity leave. I will (should) commission in April when my daughter will be 8 months old. Will I be able to get paternity leave when I get to my unit? What's the Army's policy?

2. I understand you get 16 weeks off at full pay and then you go to the national rate at aboyt £100 a month. To get the real answer speak to your Pl Comd who can put you in touch with the SPS/Welfare Dept .You should be able to get time off when you get to your Unit, barring courses!

However, I am a bloke, so don't take my word!!!

3. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

16 weeks. Dream on! Paternity leave is for 2 weeks, either taken in a two single weeks or one block.

However, If you at RMAS now I'm sorry to say you may not qualify.

To qualify you need to have served a period not less than 26 weeks ending with the week immediately preceding the 14th week before the expected week of the child's birth.

i.e If your wife was pregnant BEFORE you signed on, you don't qualify.
    If she was became pregnant AFTER you signed on, you do.

There is also a cap on how long after the birth a CO can grant Paternity leave, this being 56 days after the birth unless he chooses to delay it "for operational reasons".

Saying that COs are known at times to be human, so I would write and throw yourself at his mercy... Fingers crossed!

For all the details, see DCI JS 40-41 dated 28 March 2003

4. Paternity leave!!??

The military world, as all over, is very much changed since my little girl was born!

5. I think the 16 weeks is the new entitlement to UNPAID p/l, came into being very recently.

Not much of an entitlement really, if you are rich enough to take 16 weeks off you are one of about 11 blokes in the country who are, and if you ain't working anyway it makes no diference. Therefore, to most people, an irrelevance.

I don't know if it applies to HM Forces, but it came into being after the DCI quoted above.

Congrats on the rug rat btw, mine is a week old tomorrow! 15 nappies done so far.... 2,985 to go if he's average I believe.

6. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

I don't think our DCI has been updated yet although there is rumour of a change in the rules for serving women with children born after Apr 07. Their maternity leave then allegedly will go to 9 mths paid rather than the six months of present. Something to do with bringing it in line with other govn depts.There was also talk of the blokes being allowed to take some of that leave in addition to paternity leave but don't hold out much hope.

Congrats, Steamywindow! I have 10 wks to go before our first. Looking forward to endless poo and sleepless nights too.....

7. Rayc

Rayc RIP

It very interesting to know that one can get Paternity Leave in the British Army.

I wonder how many armies the world over give such concessions.

8. ... ta very much. Hot news: poo from breast fed babies doesn't smell as much.

9. I always understood that the small print on the paternity leave legislation said 'Not applicable to HM Forces', and that it is a case of 'if its manageable you can have it'. I see no other way of allowing it in the army.

10. For heavens sake.

11. You appear to have some sort of 2005 related fetish duffdike, this is possibly the 10th thread you have resurrected over a weekend................

12. If you can't take a joke .............
    So why did you join? For the benefits?

13. Can you now get paternity leave for illegitimate children ? :) Some regiments wouldn't have enough men left to mount the guard on the front gate. .

14. Pa -what- leave???? My first missus was having a bad time birthing the first nipper at a local hospital in 1963. Doctor asked if I could stay around to support her. Got a cab back to the Depot, tabbed into the RSM and asked if I could get someone else to do my Guard Commander duty that night. Bollocked from ARRSE hole to breakfast, had to do that night AND a months extra duties for daring to ask. Yeah I hated you Bill B!