Patellar Tendinitis

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Draft Dodger, Jan 13, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. i've had problems on and off with my knee for the last decade but i've generally managed to crack on as generally it just aches like an old tooth. in the last 12 months the pain has increased and i got tired of getting fobbed of by doctors so i used the private health care through work, saw a consultant, had an MRI and it turns out i have Patellar Tendinitis. i've been given 3 months of physio and then he'll reassess.

i'm waiting on the physio appointment now and i sacked running a few months ago due to the pain but if anyone has had this before should i be sacking x-trainer/spin bike/rowing etc as well? they dont seem to aggrivate it but to be honest it aches pretty much constantly now.

2. walkyrie

walkyrie Old-Salt Book Reviewer

When I was (mis)diagnosed with it I was told to avoid any and all physical activity whatsoever.

How long until Physio?

3. Tendinitis is inflamation of the tendon. A tendon connects muscle to bone. The Patellar Tendon is actually a Ligament that connects your knee cap (patetta) to your Tibia (shin bone). Everytime your knee bends you will engage your Patellar Tendon. Therefore to reduce inflammation you would be well advised to RICE rest, ice, compress and elevate the affected area. I would say resting as much as possible until your next review, otherwise the benefits of the physio will be negated. I imagine no phys will be a frustration but try and look at the benefits long term.

4. thursday next wk.

pish. swimming? i've been RICEing it up for years but to no effect in the last twelve months. starting to wish i'd done something about it a bit sooner, say 2002.

5. If it was me i would stop ALL phys between now and Thursday next week. Havent you asked said Doctor or Physio about your training limitations?

6. walkyrie

walkyrie Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Hopefully physio works out for you. As has been said I'd hold off on all Phys until then.

7. just called them up after my last post and they said i could train unless i felt it getting aggrivated during the exercise or it increased in pain afterwards, i said that i was mainly experiencing an almost constant low level pain (like toothache) and he said that if it didnt make it worse carry on. so running and rowing are out but i should be okay for the x-trainer.

8. Like everyone else is saying, keep it low-impact and take it easy. Not quite the same thing, but I had a problem with my knee a little while back. Instead of listening to people who knew better, ******** over here decided that resting up because of constant low-level pain was something that only a limp-wrist would do and decided to carry on training as normal. All well and good until a week later when my collateral ligament went pop five miles into a tab, crippling me for nearly six months.

9. just a follow up question for anyone who's had similar problems but physio didnt solve anything and an ultra sound confirmed that it was a problem with my patellar tendon, up shot is i had a topaz microdebridement about 12 wks ago (as far as i can make out they opened up my knee and stabbed it with a knitting needle which had a laser on the end), the theory behind this is to damage to tendon and stimulate healling.

has anyone had this done? my physio says there's no reason i shouldnt make a full recovery but it can be a very slow process, which i accept and will keep plugging away but i just wanted to see if anyone had had this done and what their recovery times were like.

10. Don’t know if this is any help but:

I was diagnosed with Patella tendonitis about 10 years ago as well. I’ve undergone steroid injections, manipulation (now that ******* hurt), ultra sound and infra red therapy. Nothing stopped it coming back until about 3 years ago when on posting to my new unit the physio was a fully qualified sports physio.

The first thing she did was to send me off to the podiatrist, who identified that I needed custom insoles. These with more manipulation (ouch), no running, cycling (worse than running with this injury) breast stroke, rowing or any exercise requiring the repetitive bending of the knee started a slow recovery.

The exercise of choice was step ups! Not more than 5 reps of 10 step ups per leg per day!

As she described it, it would never heal but it can be controlled by building up the muscles around the knee to take more of the strain and stabilise the joint better.

The insoles made a hell of a difference, but I did twice almost revert back to the start with “I’m fine, she’s being too cautious, I’ll go for a run”, and as result was back in the med centre the next day.

When she finally allowed me to run, it was only on a treadmill, starting off with one min light run followed by one min walk. This enabled the joint to build up and for me to stop as soon as that tell tale twinge started to come back. As time goes on you can increase the time and speed of the runs, but still keeping walking rests between reps/laps.

Downside:

1. It’s a long process and every trip to the gym includes at least 10 mins on a step machine.
    2. Any period of inactivity results in less time running on the treadmill and more time walking.
    3. Due to the insoles the best trainers for me are Silver Shadows!

Good luck.