PATELLA TENDONOSIS

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by HENDO, Feb 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Has anyone ever had surgery for this whats the success rate and how long did it take you to get back into training

2. I belive knee problems are usually a big 'NO NO' for the ole army...

P.s Im sure google will give you all the information you'll need.

3. Was diagnosed with acute bi-lateral chodromalacia patellae, due to various factors, including aircraft vibrations and running in unsuitable footwear (and being a touch overweight). Continued to fly on a restricted PULHEEM until I couldn't climb out of a Lynx unassisted (even when sober), so I gave up and left the Army.

It would appear that if you don't have knee problems when you join up, you will have one day.

The advice I was given when offerred an arthroscopy to investigate the damage was to refuse, as the rate of being reduced to travelling about in a wheelchair was rather high. This from an Australian Doctor on attachment - Major R***s, I thank you.

4. Sit in a chair, put foot of problem leg on another chair so leg is straight and supported. Move knee cap towards and away from you. Do same with other leg and compare. Return problem leg to same position and dig fingers firmly into muscle tissue below knee. Gritty or painful? If so, move fingers in a circular motion to assist drainage.
    Many knee problems are ligament/muscle based and do not require surgery, just good hands-on physio.

5. IS Ski Geek

IS Ski Geek War Hero Moderator

i have just ruptured my Patella Tendon (had it stitched back on) ACL/PCL and tore off my IBT.

Been sat at home now for 3 months. Just learning to walk again. After 18 years service have been informed that I will be P7 (uk) for at least 18 months and then rest of time maximum P3 LE. (ie not fully back to normal)

Not sure how they will play your case however if you are having problems at the start of your career not sure how it will affect you.

No they are not discharging me however I only have 5 years left and have a kind of desk job.

6. Redux, you say physio will help ligament/tendon trouble. I'm pretty ignorent to the world of sports science etc (which is probably why my knee gives me grief every so often).
    I can understand how it may help, but will a course of phys' CURE you of the problem?
    Cheers.