Pat Finucane - No charges

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by DozyBint, Jun 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From the BBC:

No police or soldiers will be charged in connection with the murder of Belfast solicitor Pat Finucane, the Public Prosecution Service has said.

Mr Finucane, 39, was shot dead at his home by loyalist paramilitaries, the Ulster Defence Association, in 1989.

The killing was one of the most controversial of the 30 years of the Troubles in NI due to allegations of security force collusion.

The PPS said insufficient evidence was "critical" in its decision.

[align=center]...[/align]

Sinn Fein's Alex Maskey said: "This is an absolute scandal that no action is being taken."

Hmmmm, people allegedly getting away with murder in Norn Iron? Noooooooo, I don't believe it... :roll: The hypocrisy of SF and its representatives never ceases to amaze me.

2. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

[align=center]...[/align]

Sinn Fein's Alex Maskey said: "This is an absolute scandal that all these murderers and terrorists have been freed under the Good Friday Agreement"

3. thank god no one from the security forces are getting done with helping murder that scum bag if i werent for him there would have been more IRA behind bars got his just desserts

4. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

No. He was murdered. In a civilised society lawyers don't get murdered for defending people, no matter what the criminal may have done. That's the point of having laws and its what makes Britain different from North Korea, Zimbabwe or Iraq.

And, yes I'm aware that in the Naafi I'd gladly call for the death of all lawyers.

5. you didnt have to live here when the fcukers that he was keeping out of jail were murdering all around them so i my eyes he got what he deserved lets not be coplacant his bro is an IRA man and he was a suspected IRA man ie never caught!

6. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

No I didn't have to live there and I hope I never have to live in a place where that happens. But the whole point of that 30 years of confrontation and violence was the British determination to up hold the rule of law and the basic principles of living in a democracy. One of those principles is that murder is wrong, no matter who committed it and who the victim was. Can you really tell me that the UVF didn't have their own slick, smart lawyer who got "innocent" verdicts for guilty men by using the law? And did Finucane's death mean that more IRA men went to jail? I doubt it. I bet another slick lawyer picked up where he left off.

7. I have to agree with both of you. There were lots of nasty rumours that it was FNU SNU lawyer who smuggled the pistol into the Maze. Only a rumour mind and never proven.

8. What was proved and what was in the your patrol brief only differ by the fact that patrol briefs were more accurate.

A short trip down notebook memory alley, turns up some now born again scrotes and their well known former activities.

Can't say i am overley fussed who colluded with who so long as it resulted in disruption of IRA activity at any level.

Despite the current fashion for seeing history through 2007 eyes, it was a different world over there and there's just no frame of reference to use to explain to anyone who didn't live through it.

9. not much point trying to explain on how and why he was killed then to you as you didnt live here or experiance it but he was murdered by agents being run by the FRU who were operating on bealf of the government of the day who were voted in by the majority of peole in GB at that time so in squaddie speak he needed to go the govt seen it so could us on the ground glad he got it oh and the UVF thing probably not they werent smart enough 4 that lol

10. Oh and Alex Maskey can fcuk off and all!

11. Good.

His death was only a loss to the IRA scum.

12. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

It's an absolute scandal that people who were locked up for their paramilitary activities are now allowed to masquerade as respectable politicians, but that's the myth of 'normalisation' for you.

13. The Only ABSOULTE SCANDAL was the GFA that allowed murdering scum out of jail from both sides of the divide, I do not see Tony allowing anyone out of a mainland prison that has murdered a member of the Police Force but it is ok to allow scum out that murdered civilians, police and army in Northern Ireland and then turn them into politicians, seems like we already are like North Korea, Zimbabwe or Iraq, we just don’t like to admit it.

If his death stopped the murder of even 1 innocent person that it was justified, war is a dirty business and he new the rules! Big Boys Rules! :x

14. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Johnty Browns book on his time in the RUC said in it he had a suspect on tape who confessed to him that he shot Finucane & he knew details that were'nt known outside the killer or authorities.The killer was protected by Special Branch & was linked to a attempt on Browns life.
    see here;

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Northern_Ireland/Story/0,2763,737008,00.html