Pat Finucane - No charges

From the BBC:

No police or soldiers will be charged in connection with the murder of Belfast solicitor Pat Finucane, the Public Prosecution Service has said.

Mr Finucane, 39, was shot dead at his home by loyalist paramilitaries, the Ulster Defence Association, in 1989.

The killing was one of the most controversial of the 30 years of the Troubles in NI due to allegations of security force collusion.

The PPS said insufficient evidence was "critical" in its decision.

[align=center]...[/align]

Sinn Fein's Alex Maskey said: "This is an absolute scandal that no action is being taken."

Hmmmm, people allegedly getting away with murder in Norn Iron? Noooooooo, I don't believe it... :roll: The hypocrisy of SF and its representatives never ceases to amaze me.

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
DozyBint said:
From the BBC:

No police or soldiers will be charged in connection with the murder of Belfast solicitor Pat Finucane, the Public Prosecution Service has said.

Mr Finucane, 39, was shot dead at his home by loyalist paramilitaries, the Ulster Defence Association, in 1989.

The killing was one of the most controversial of the 30 years of the Troubles in NI due to allegations of security force collusion.

The PPS said insufficient evidence was "critical" in its decision.

Sinn Fein's Alex Maskey said: "This is an absolute scandal that no action is being taken."

Hmmmm, people allegedly getting away with murder in Norn Iron? Noooooooo, I don't believe it... :roll: The hypocrisy of SF and its representatives never ceases to amaze me.

Sinn Fein's Alex Maskey said: "This is an absolute scandal that all these murderers and terrorists have been freed under the Good Friday Agreement"

S

stevieni22

thank god no one from the security forces are getting done with helping murder that scum bag if i werent for him there would have been more IRA behind bars got his just desserts

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
stevieni22 said:
got his just desserts
No. He was murdered. In a civilised society lawyers don't get murdered for defending people, no matter what the criminal may have done. That's the point of having laws and its what makes Britain different from North Korea, Zimbabwe or Iraq.

And, yes I'm aware that in the Naafi I'd gladly call for the death of all lawyers.

S

stevieni22

Bouillabaisse said:
stevieni22 said:
got his just desserts
No. He was murdered. In a civilised society lawyers don't get murdered for defending people, no matter what the criminal may have done. That's the point of having laws and its what makes Britain different from North Korea, Zimbabwe or Iraq.

And, yes I'm aware that in the Naafi I'd gladly call for the death of all lawyers.
you didnt have to live here when the fcukers that he was keeping out of jail were murdering all around them so i my eyes he got what he deserved lets not be coplacant his bro is an IRA man and he was a suspected IRA man ie never caught!

Bouillabaisse

LE
Book Reviewer
No I didn't have to live there and I hope I never have to live in a place where that happens. But the whole point of that 30 years of confrontation and violence was the British determination to up hold the rule of law and the basic principles of living in a democracy. One of those principles is that murder is wrong, no matter who committed it and who the victim was. Can you really tell me that the UVF didn't have their own slick, smart lawyer who got "innocent" verdicts for guilty men by using the law? And did Finucane's death mean that more IRA men went to jail? I doubt it. I bet another slick lawyer picked up where he left off.

stevieni22 said:
Bouillabaisse said:
stevieni22 said:
got his just desserts

you didnt have to live here when the fcukers that he was keeping out of jail were murdering all around them so i my eyes he got what he deserved lets not be coplacant his bro is an IRA man and he was a suspected IRA man ie never caught!
I have to agree with both of you. There were lots of nasty rumours that it was FNU SNU lawyer who smuggled the pistol into the Maze. Only a rumour mind and never proven.

What was proved and what was in the your patrol brief only differ by the fact that patrol briefs were more accurate.

A short trip down notebook memory alley, turns up some now born again scrotes and their well known former activities.

Can't say i am overley fussed who colluded with who so long as it resulted in disruption of IRA activity at any level.

Despite the current fashion for seeing history through 2007 eyes, it was a different world over there and there's just no frame of reference to use to explain to anyone who didn't live through it.

S

stevieni22

Bouillabaisse said:
No I didn't have to live there and I hope I never have to live in a place where that happens. But the whole point of that 30 years of confrontation and violence was the British determination to up hold the rule of law and the basic principles of living in a democracy. One of those principles is that murder is wrong, no matter who committed it and who the victim was. Can you really tell me that the UVF didn't have their own slick, smart lawyer who got "innocent" verdicts for guilty men by using the law? And did Finucane's death mean that more IRA men went to jail? I doubt it. I bet another slick lawyer picked up where he left off.
not much point trying to explain on how and why he was killed then to you as you didnt live here or experiance it but he was murdered by agents being run by the FRU who were operating on bealf of the government of the day who were voted in by the majority of peole in GB at that time so in squaddie speak he needed to go the govt seen it so could us on the ground glad he got it oh and the UVF thing probably not they werent smart enough 4 that lol

It's an absolute scandal that people who were locked up for their paramilitary activities are now allowed to masquerade as respectable politicians, but that's the myth of 'normalisation' for you.

The Only ABSOULTE SCANDAL was the GFA that allowed murdering scum out of jail from both sides of the divide, I do not see Tony allowing anyone out of a mainland prison that has murdered a member of the Police Force but it is ok to allow scum out that murdered civilians, police and army in Northern Ireland and then turn them into politicians, seems like we already are like North Korea, Zimbabwe or Iraq, we just don’t like to admit it.

If his death stopped the murder of even 1 innocent person that it was justified, war is a dirty business and he new the rules! Big Boys Rules! :x

That article suggests that he worked both sides of the divide. Any truth to that?
Many people here think that the British Government sold out to the IRA, but if as suggested the murder of Finucane was justified, then would it not also be fair to say that allowing people out of prison would also be justified to end the war?

Brown did have a Catholic bloke as a CI who was involved with the Wombles (UDA I think) although Brown had to warn him off a few times as it looked like he was being set up a few times.SB tho protected the alledged killer of Finucane with ,well basically,hostile jelousy.
When Brown interfeared he was threatened & indeed SB arranged a hit on Brown.

Loyalist who helped police admits killing Pat Finucane
By Jason Bennetto, Crime Correspondent
Published: 14 September 2004
Pressure for a public inquiry into the murder of Patrick Finucane, a Catholic solicitor, grew yesterday after a former police informer admitted shooting him dead.

Pressure for a public inquiry into the murder of Patrick Finucane, a Catholic solicitor, grew yesterday after a former police informer admitted shooting him dead.

The killing has been at the centre of a 15-year inquiry into collusion between Protestant paramilitaries and the security forces in Northern Ireland.

Ken Barrett, 41, pleaded guilty in Belfast Crown Court to shooting Mr Finucane 14 times in front of his wife and their three children at their home in north Belfast in February 1989.

Barrett, who was a member of the loyalist paramilitary Ulster Defence Association at the time, was working as an informant for the then Royal Ulster Constabulary's Special Branch.

Two of his former associates also allegedly involved in the shooting have since died. William Stobie, who provided weapons used in the killing, was shot dead by loyalists in December 2001. Brian Nelson - an agent of the Army's ultra-secret Force Research Unit - who helped provide information on Mr Finucane's whereabouts, died of lung cancer in Wales last April. Mr Nelson had warned his handlers that a shooting was about to take place, but nothing was done to prevent it.

Evidence against Barrett was first obtained in October 1991, when he met Detective Johnston "Jonty" Brown.

In a secretly taped meeting, the killer told Mr Brown he fired several shots into Mr Finucane's head. A statement from the retired policeman said: "He said: 'You never tire of doing this, Jonty'.

"He said he killed Mr Finucane so quickly that he still had a fork in his hand as he was lying on the floor."

The confessions were recorded by Mr Brown, but the tape went missing and was never recovered. Furthermore, because Barrett was an agent for the intelligence services, no arrest was made and prosecutors were never alerted to the confession, the court heard. Barrett again revealed his role in the crime in August 2001, telling a BBC Panorama team of police involvement in setting up loyalist hits.

A third inquiry into the murder by Sir John Stevens, the Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police, secured a fresh confession from Barrett.

In a conversation with two undercover policemen, Barrett admitted "whacking" Mr Finucane - not, Barrett insisted, because he was a solicitor, but because he was a republican and an IRA man. He also admitted "whacking" other people, and added: "That was my way of life at the time."

Following yesterday's guilty plea, Michael Finucane, the son of the murdered solicitor, called on the Government to set up a public inquiry.

Mr Finucane said: "They said they would set out the way ahead at the conclusion of all prosecutions.

"The only prosecution has now been held, so when can the public inquiry be held? That's the only question the British Government has to answer."

He added: "The system makes it possible for these guys to kill with impunity. They get the means to do it, the resources and protection afterwards."

Inquiries are already due to take place into the murders of the Catholic solicitor Rosemary Nelson, the Loyalist Volunteer Force leader Billy Wright, and Robert Hamill, a Catholic killed by a loyalist mob.

FIGHT FOR JUSTICE

* February 1989: Pat Finucane shot dead.

* September 1989: John Stevens beginsinvestigation into security force breaches.

* 1992: Brian Nelson, a UDA intelligence officer revealed as army agent who tipped off handlers about plan to kill Finucane, jailed for 10 years for conspiracy to murder.

* April 1999: John Stevensstarts investigation into Finucane murder.

* April 2002: Retired Canadian judge Peter Cory appointed to carry out inquiry into six murdersinvolving allegations of security force collusion.

* April 2003:Nelson dies of cancer. Six days later, Sir John Stevens confirms security force collusion in Finucane murder.

* May 2003: Loyalist Ken Barrett charged with murder of Finucane.

* April 2004: Coryrecommends public inquiry. Government refuses until proceedings against Barrett are completed.

* September 2004: Barrett pleads guilty.

As a high profile lawyer with Republican links, he always was going to be a loyalist target, and so it turned out.

What I always found irritating about this case was the tone adopted by many mainland based journalists, lawyers and commentators whose outrage over his death seem to be based more upon the fact that he was a lawyer and a member of the professional classes than any other reason.

Bouliawotever said 1. No. He was murdered.
He then went on

2.No I didn't have to live there and I hope I never have to live in a place where that happens. But the whole point of that 30 years of confrontation and violence was the British determination to up hold the rule of law and the basic principles of living in a democracy. One of those principles is that murder is wrong, no matter who committed it and who the victim was. Can you really tell me that the UVF didn't have their own slick, smart lawyer who got "innocent" verdicts for guilty men by using the law? And did Finucane's death mean that more IRA men went to jail? I doubt it. I bet another slick lawyer picked up where he left off.

Well Boulli, well done firstly you are indeed showing a great knowledge on this case! Yes it certainly does look like Pat was indeed murderd. I dont think it was suicide, but then forensics would have said if it was. Kicked in door, no face etc etc etc.
Reading your posts you seem to be taking the moral high ground. I wonder how many friends or work collagues, coffins you have walked behind murderd by the organisation which this high upstanding human rights lawyer defended? What about Rosemary Nelson? Before you accuse me of being sectarian or a bigot, well im neither. I never said if these murders were right or wrong.
Northern Ireland was a very dirty war, on all 3 sides, the Republicans, The loyalists and our very own Governmeant. So please spare me the democracy and rights crap! Finucanes murderers should be brought to justice when the murderers of soldiers, policemen and civilians also face justice. Not given jobs in local Governmeant. When this happens i will pull out my dusty caubeen and eat it!

As for not living in a place were that happens or never will, could you please forward me your address, i would like to live there also. Perhaps you are in Disneyland or Heaven if there is such a place with such great virtues of honesty, democracy etc etc etc.
Wake up my friend, have a look around you and see whats happening in the real world. By the way in my world a lawyer has no more right to life than a soldier, policeman or innocent civilian.
You play with fire you get burnt!
PS . A slick UVF lawyer? I dont think so, thats why so many of them went straight down.

I'm having a hard time giving a fcuk.

Finucane defended IRA terrorists. He did his best to keep these scum on the streets.

Big boy's games, big boy's rules.