Pasty Wars - The Beast of Ginsters Revelation

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Goatman, Feb 27, 2011.

?

A Cornish Pasty is

Poll closed Apr 1, 2011.
  1. A gift from the Ancients tor suffering humanity

4 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. A gift from 3663 and the RQ, invariably half thawed

5 vote(s)
    19.2%
  3. A gift from my piso Auntie in Coverack

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. A gift from the heart of Cornwall to the world

17 vote(s)
    65.4%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Oh dear.....its all gonna kick off.....damn those Ginsters

Source

2. Please don't mention 'Ginster' in the same planet as 'Cornish Pasties'; they may technically meat the EU definition, but I've often had to take stuff out of them that I have great difficulty in identifying as Terrestrial organic material.

3. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

CF thread title....the Ginster Heresy is everywhere and must be resisted by all right-thinking persons wherever they may find it ....

4. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Mrs Muller should just advertise them as Oggies. A Ginsters' may be a euro-Cornish Pasty but it can never be a real Oggy.

5. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

When we were building the Blackwater Bypass we used to get a couple of dozen from a place in Scorrier, God it was a full Sunday lunch in pastry, ruddy marvelous. Mind you the fresh Lobster in the "Prince of Wales" was pretty damn good too

6. Isn't there a chain of pasty shops called Traditional Cornish Pasties? Which are cooked on the premises, where does that leave them?
    Personally I find they promise much, but deliver little. One eighth meat, Swedes, and unidentified pig food vegetables.

Now a fresh made meat pie with mash, liquor, gravy and chili vinegar!

7. Excognito - it begs the obvious question. Why repeat the experience? If it happened to me once, I wouldn't touch that same product with a barge pole.
    Mind you, it I am on a long motorway journey and need a quick scoff, Ginsters does the job. I totally agree though there is no comparison between a Ginsters mass produced and the real deal to be found down in the south west. After reading the article posted by Goatman, I will be tempted to hunt down these real pasties when I am next down that way in early April.

8. For the love of the blessed Saint Piran, this is not a surprise surely? As soon as Euro-standards come in the door, common sense and decent standards **** off out of the windows. Ooops sorry, euro-amenity-apertures.

Make a pasty five inches wide and nine ells long, weighing sixty four drachms and tell the euro-fascists to take a running **** at a five bar gate, using an approved run up of five chains, two rods and a furlong!

9. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

ahhh wotesaid an all.....bad joss to all they furriners across the Channel

( nine ells would be a bit of a mouthful though)

Not sure if empanadas is specifically Argie though....they serve them onboard ships of the Chilean Navy every Thursday :)

Ahem...Mus Muller does mail order - check it out now LINKY THINGY

10. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

Rosa's cafe in Stanley used to do smashing Empanadas, but not as nice as a Scorrier pasty, no gravy

11. The West Cornwall Pasty Co. make some good pastys as well. I believe that they used to be based in Porthleven. The funny thing is that they do not have a place selling their pastys in Kernow

12. That's the badger, will they have to change their name to The West Cornwall 'Style' Pasty Co?

13. Hmmm denby Dale pie, that trumps a pasty.

14. You'll have to be a little more precise than that. Exactly how long should the run-up be? Is there a standard, approved running gait? You'll need to know the applicable ISO standards by which one should fcuk. And as for five-bar gate? ... well, bar separation? width? wood/metal? corrosion standards? configuration control? And don't even get me started on health and safety! :evil:

15. Or, perhaps, Kernovian or Cornovian Pasties.