• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Past and Present Dinner

C

cloudbuster

Foolish like what, shagging the CO's daughter?
This could only be construed as foolish if the deed was done on the top table, between main and dessert. One should really wait until after the speeches before bumping uglies.

would really like to go this year, however the last couple I have been to have been absolute shite! Since leaving the RMAS they really went down hill, but I think this years would be good as its not Fort Blockhouse junior ranks canteen, but unfortunately I have put myself down to work this saturday and apart from weekends being mega bucks its a bit late to say im not working.

Ventress

LE
I think the CRSM has his hands full getting the P&P back on track. I appreciate the tempo of Ops doesn't help and the costs and locations are also a problem. Any solutions would be help!

The honoured guest did a splendid job!

I dont believe that the tempo of Ops has anything to do with it, its a pish poor excuse, at the moment there is probably less going on than there has been for years! Was it the cost of Sandhurst that moved us away? if you hold it in a JR cookhouse you get JR standard food and service, the P&P deserves more than this, the last 2 or 3 years of poor standard functions is going to drive people away just like it did a few years ago when people wouldnt go because it was basically a forum for people to get leathered and want to fight people that they didnt like! A lot of work went into correcting this by Russ when he was CRSM, the current CRSM needs to sort out the standard of service and food, without having to go to a civvie establishment in order to start bringing people back.

So will an ex member of 2AFA LAD(88-92) be allowed to attend, I propped up the Mash bar in Roberts Kaserne Traz for over 3 years, saying that I was a young Craftie at the time and was banned to ever waitering on again or attend any function for drinking the COs port decanter and lobbing spuds at the RSM whilst at Vogelsang......luckily I used to take the RSM (G B) back up on leave to sheffield so he let me off. Promise to behave if invited.

Ventress

LE
I dont believe that the tempo of Ops has anything to do with it, its a pish poor excuse.
Well it was the one being banded about.

The whole night needs a major overhaul as most of the retired chaps wont be attending next year.

They can't tag it to the Army/ Navy rugby weekend- as there is too much going on.

They didn't use a seating plan as that's what the "youngsters" wanted- didn't see many there. (I thought the CRSM told them what they wanted!)

Chelsea pensioner not marched in and greeted. (Just the one)

No photo- no loss.

Food, wine and service was under-par, by a long way.

Whole units (not on ops) not in attendance.

Not sure of the way ahead.

its going to go back to the way it was, where very few people attend! needs to go back to some where like Sandhurst, that is used to doing top functions, with top quality food, drink, service and a cracking Mess to go back to afterwards (the Sjts Mess not that attic thing above the toilets that they used a few years back).

FF, I agree with what you are saying about the event itself but the problem with Sandhurst, and indeed many other locations that can provide the desired level of service, is the lack of accommodation.

I mentioned this to the AcSM and he told me himself that it would be highly unlikely that RMAS would be able to host the event in the foreseeable future. I also spoke to one of the Gaza based RSMs and the new mess there could easily host the event but there is nowhere to get your head down, and that would put some off our tighter comrades from attending. Strensall has been mentioned previously but we would be in the same situation as St Omer except the accommodation is shit!

I think it's a tough one but hopefully the CRSM will get it sorted (with a bit of assistance) and will be able to bring it on. We will have to wait and see.

Big_M, not sure where all this space is in Keogh Bks. Cookhouse maybe, but its not open like it used to be and then you are back in the realms of cookhouse standards of food. The Mess just isn't big enough.

I think there are a couple of reasons why the P & P as we knew it is probably finished:

All the Messes are now run by contractors. To get the level of food/service you would want, outside of the contract, would be very expensive - meaning people whinge and don't attend.

T & S for events like the P & P are a thing of the past. In the current financial environment some units cannot even use military transport. It can be a very expensive night out if you are travelling great distances for a dinner - meaning people whinge and don't attend.

The number of messes that are large enough to host the event are getting less & less. There are some great messes but not many with a suitable amount of accommodation - meaning people whinge and don't attend.

Venty, I have to disagree with you about the number if youngsters attending. I thought there were plenty of new faces there, many of them attending for the first time. There were certainly more Sgt/SSgt there than old and bold. I think that we need to remember that you, I and the CRSM are not the future of the P & P, it is those same Sgt/SSgt, and I think that the CRSM should be listening to their views. He shouldn't necessarily act on them, but he should listen.

Ventress

LE
Venty, I have to disagree with you about the number if youngsters attending. I thought there were plenty of new faces there, many of them attending for the first time. There were certainly more Sgt/SSgt there than old and bold. I think that we need to remember that you, I and the CRSM are not the future of the P & P, it is those same Sgt/SSgt, and I think that the CRSM should be listening to their views. He shouldn't necessarily act on them, but he should listen.
Yes, I see your point, we certainly are not the future, but we are the past who know how a function was run properly and traditionally. I have also see the MoD put out to tender all manner of contracts and there will impact on the ability to produce a cost effective evening. But to told the Dinner couldn't be tagged into the Army/ Navy Rugby weekend because there was too much going on was surprising. The rugby has become the biggest reunion tool in the A.M.S. thanks to the hard work of several people and is a great success every year.

I appreciate things move on but how far do you let it, does the P&P just become a sit down dinner and forgets all the 100 years+ of Medical Services tradition and therefore the foundations of the P&P itself? The dinner at St Omer didn't even welcome the In-Pensioner- be it just the one.

I appreciate the round table, non seating plan concept- do not necessarily agree with it, as it doesn't go towards mixing up people.
I know the CRSM couldn't even give a date for the next one or a location-surely one of the best ways to get people planning whether to attend or not, as done in the past.

I appreciate I am now just a ex-crusty moaning old git who's input will be taken with a pinch of salt, but having seen how things should and were done, its is disappointing how the mighty have fallen from a Regimental Dinner to soup in a basket- and not a great soup at that.

Ventress

LE
T & S for events like the P & P are a thing of the past. In the current financial environment some units cannot even use military transport. It can be a very expensive night out if you are travelling great distances for a dinner - meaning people whinge and don't attend.

The number of messes that are large enough to host the event are getting less & less. There are some great messes but not many with a suitable amount of accommodation - meaning people whinge and don't attend.
The accommodation would cause a whinge, as I wouldn't like to get bladdered and end up on a gym floor with 40 others on camp beds. Great as the offer was, I have done enough time on a camp bed to know how $hit is. I agree there is no where in the Corps that can support the P&P.

Latest Threads