Password forgotten

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by happybonzo, Jun 14, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Due to an excess of Gin the Mem. has forgotten the password on her laptop.

It is a Toshiba L300 - any suggestions other than reformatting the system please?
  2. Hi happybonzo, is that the password for the computer or windows? We can help as soon as you reply :) .

3. The password is for the computer - and it's running Vista.

Personally, I think that it is the password for when you have two "accounts" on one PC. You get a screen come up and you can designate names to each person on that machine - but I could be wrong

Edit: fat finger typing
  4. By that I assume you mean the user log on screen?

Like this:

If there are two accounts, i'm assuming there are both administrators, f this is thecase you can change the password for the account you can't log into through the other account.

Click on the start menu and if Vista is the same as XP, clik on the picture at the top of the menu to take you to the user accounts area where you can change the password. Sorry I can't be more specific.
  5. Ok, so we are looking at the computer and can forget Windows, as in my laptop I have a password for when the computer starts up and then a password to write to the HDD, these have nothing to do with Windows. If I forget these passwords I have to do a bios reset!! My first thought is for you to get the computer manual out and look to see if there is a way to do this.

6. msr

msr LE

7. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Whilst on the subject, I have forgotten the password for my wireless router's 'admin' account. It was five years ago that it was set up, and I'm sure I wrote it down somewhere .....

This is mildly irritating as I have a new laptop for work and would like to use it wirelessly. It works ok with the wire. I need (apparently) to key in the 21-digit code from the router into the new laptop to make them communicate. Is there a way I can find this from my old laptop, or some other way to get the code?

I've tried the usual passwords I use, plus 'password', but no joy so far.

It's a 'Netgear DG834G'

8. msr

msr LE

For info if having problems you need to do a factory reset, just pushing a pin or whatever it is you use to poke the hole at the back of your router is just not good enough, here is the official line quote from netgear.

Full Reset;

Hold down the reset button on the back using a paper clip, for 30 seconds with the power on.

After 30 seconds, keep the reset pressed in but remove the power lead for 10 seconds.

Then plug the power back in and keep the reset down for another 30 seconds.

So in total the reset is down for 1 minute and 10 seconds

Log into the routers web based configuration page by, launching Internet Explorer and in the address bar type

username = admin
    password = password
  9. 2

You can do a factory re-set. There is a snall hole in the rear, push a hair grip in to it and hold for a few seconds.

Obviously, you will have to set the router up again, unless you have backed the cfg up. In which case you just restore the back up.

Edite, MSR beat me to it.
  10. msr

msr LE

Then change the password, write it onto a post-it note and sellotape it to the bottom of the router.

11. Grownup_Rafbrat

Thanks, chaps. Little job for the morning, I think.
  12. You can reset the password by resetting the router. Beside the socket for the line in there is a small reset button, press that in with a pencil, not too hard and it will reset. Make sure the router is on when you do reset :D .

Opps, beaten to it :)
  13. Just a tip, if you have backed up the router, you should have a .cfg file. Normaly associated with 'Outlook' for some strange reason. If you open this file with notepad, your log in details are in plain text.
  14. Grownup_Rafbrat

Wow. That should be a great help.

A job to do when I get home. Sadly I have to visit the office today. Work does so interfere with life!
  15. Grownup_Rafbrat

Thanks to all for their advice.

For some reason the router today accepted a password of 'password', and I've found the WEP Key, meaning I'm now talking to my arrse from the sofa rather than the desk.