Password Advice

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by HEART_STOPPER, Nov 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right we have arrived in theatre and started taking over our accounts etc, however some mong who has left theatre has taken the password for the work laptop with him. He is down as the administrator as well which makes it even better, can anyone tell me how the hell we get round this please.

Thanks in advance

HS

2. Find out which unit he belonged to and send them Anthrax.

3. Not wishing to state the obvious (but I will).

Ever thought of contacting him and asking for the password?

4. Shout at it. Works for Chuck Norris...

5. Reimage the laptop.

Job jobbed.

6. Have you asked the G6 wizzards?

7. He's now on comp leave and no-one in their rear party can find him.
    I was hoping to be able to do it ourselves and not take it to the G6 lads/lasses
    as I dont want to name and shame him when he may have had other things on his mind
    and may not have been the mong I said he was however if he did it to be funny then
    i hope his next sh*ts a hedgehog.

8. Make / Model of laptop ????

Is it a BIOS power on password or Operating System / Windoze XP / Vista

9. msr

msr LE

10. Assuming the OS is XP, if you have the OS CD you can do a repair install.

The OS will be reinstalled which will get you past needing the admin password and you wont loose any work saved on the laptop.

You may need to reinstall some of the apps.

See the link for instructions

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

11. I changed my password while drunk before and forgot it the next morning. Turns out there's a hidden administrator on XP by default. Restart the system and keep pressing f8. When the windows screen appears select safe mode, then hidden admin. Then you can do one of 2 things: 1) Create a new administrator account from there and use that one. 2) change the original admin password by running cmd in the start menu. When the dos box comes up type "net user administrator password " followed by the new password you want to set. I went with option 1 myself so I'm not sure if 2 works. If the last guy turned off hidden admin you're shagged sideways.