Password a USB drive

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Porridge_gun, May 17, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

Have made the move to a mac book, to combat the lack of memory in comparison to a PC I have bought 3 128GB USB3 sticks.

Because there is sensitive data on them and because I can be a forgetful cock I need to password them.

Its also clear from my posts in this forum that I am a computer spastic, can anyone please help?
  2. The police will be able to get through your password fairly easily. It is also now an offence to fail to give them a password to a computer etc when requested. Hide them up your hoop instead, and hope you don't get tugged for drugs.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Porridge_gun

I'm not protecting them from the police, they are on the payroll.

Oddly enought they are dull client files, nothing to do with shagging jam jars full of pony entrails.
  4. msr

msr LE

5. Porridge_gun

Just for me and just my PC, although it would be helpful if I could plug them into other PCs or Macs.
  6. Use winzip or any archive software you can put a password on the zip file making it impossible to crack
  7. Trucrypt
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Have they fixed that "feature" in Win7 that stopped you password protecting zip files yet?

The reason I now use 7zip.

9. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

I'll second that - truecrypt is excellent and apparently very secure.

10. Does Trucrypt act on the USB drive alone, or does it require a component on the host PC?

I ask, because I tried using the datavault-type programme that comes on SanDisk USB drives and a couple of other makes - and the problem was that you couldn't use the USB on a second PC. These programmes also seem to be useless at drag-and-drop or even just reading and accessing files via windows explorer - which are advertised functions.
  11. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

12. Trucrypt and if you are really paranoid, multiple layer encryption.
  13. There is a portable option. I use the normal installation and read encrypted stuff between Mac and PC with no issues.

I've found the better option is to encrypt the whole partition, then once mounted it behaves as a normal drive; there are issues with sharing the drive over the network

Just seen GoodCO's post ... what he said
  14. If it's not sensitive info... consider copy & paste into a google document then uploading them to your gmail account, store them on your google drive.

I've had two usb's go tits up, luckily they were backups and not the primary storage device.

Google drive means you can have access to your docs from wherever you have internet access and don't have to worry about anyone having access to the info they contain, if they get lost or stolen.