Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by naguere, Jun 1, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. When did they kick in?

Served nine years with the colours all over the place and never had one.

Mind you, it was quite a while ago :D

'D' Day, rifle, ammo, passport.............
  2. Whaaaaar
  3. Not at all, you sprog.
  4. 1961 in Cyprus, although I'd shipped out there on an army ID card (pre MOD 90)I had to get a passport to fly home on leave on a RAF indulgence flight.
  5. Nine Yrs
    Get your heels together when you talk to me.
  6. While serving in Strat Reserve, all members had to have a valid passport, which was kept in the Company Office.
  7. Correctamundo - IIRC people wanted to be on Strat Reserve (3 DIV? - 5 , 19, 24 Bde) because they got a freebie passport.
  8. kicked in a long time ago we needed them for macedonia in 98 and kosavo for the invasion in 99 had to get mine renewed thre fcuking 70 quid!
  9. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Absolutely correct, on all points. I served in 19bde and 24 bde. Passport was in office until deployed. And we got stamps on it.

Defernce of the REalm act introduced passports. Arounf 1918 I think, but as I am old, memory is goi..............
  10. I remember we had to process each individual member of the Battalion and it's attached personnel for a valid passport supplied on gratis, prior to taking up our role as Spearhead' Battalion based in Chester during 1974.

Sub-units deploying independently on overseas exercises since then were required to hold passports for each of their personnel.

Given the rising cost of passports which will shortly be accompanied by identity cards, a gratis passport, rather like a driving licence, is probably one of the more valuable perks supplied by virtue of service.
  11. At common law, a passport is not required to enter or leave the United Kingdom. In practice it is time-consuming and some carriers will not, as a matter of contract, allow an individual to board without one given the fines and other penalties they face for transporting illegal immigrants.

Accoring to Wade: Administrative Law (8th Edition (2000)) p349, a passport is merely an administrative device, the grant or cancellation of which probably involves no legal consequences, since there appears to be no justification for supposing that, in law as opposed to administrative practice, a citizen's right to leave or enter the country is depedent upon a passport. See, for example para 4(2)(a) Schedule 2 Immigration Act 1971 which states that an immigration officer may require production of either a valid passport or some other document satisfactoraly establishing the identify and nationality.

The arbitrary power claimed by the Crown under the Royal Prerogative to grant or refuse the issue of a passport has now been made the subject of judicial review. That is to say, the courts will intervene to compel the executive to act within the law and adhere to the principles of natural justice.

Other countries, such as France, are ahead of Britain in this sense, since they regard the issue of a passport as a civil right!
  12. As i said, Whaaaar.

before this goes downhill - moved. mk