Passport Required at Foreign Hotels?

For those of you who are traveling often, whenever you stay at a hotel overseas are you usually required to present your passport to the reception staff when you check in?

I had an incident in here a couple of weeks back that has escalated into a massive complaint. I had a group of French guys staying with us and when I asked for a passport (we record the number on the check-in invoice) they were adamant that it wasn't required and claimed they didn't have a passport. I spent a good twenty minutes arguing with them and trying to tell them that it was a legal requirement until one finally showed his.

As far as I'm aware, I need to record the passport number of foreign guests. If they are UK residents then it is okay ("NO! I am French! Not UK!," said the lead Frog) and there is a weird aside for former commonwealth countries but even EU residents still have to show their passport. Thing is, I'm not sure if this is our company policy or an actual legal thing.

Command_doh

LE
Book Reviewer
I have been asked to show it everywhere I go on my travels.

I assumed it was some sort of requirement in the event I smashed the place up and the Police would need to find me afterwards. Why those cheese sniffing beret - bandits disapproved of your request is beyond me.

happened to me when based in Germany a few times - when asked for a passport on check in I explained that i didn't carry it, was never a problem. I expect that its company policy not law??

happened to me when based in Germany a few times - when asked for a passport on check in I explained that i didn't carry it, was never a problem. I expect that its company policy not law??
I think that might be the case. I've never asked but can't seem to find any paperwork in the back about it. I'll maybe email the gaffer and see if she can let me know by the morning. Complaint is out of my hands anyway.

I have been asked to show it everywhere I go on my travels.

I assumed it was some sort of requirement in the event I smashed the place up and the Police would need to find me afterwards. Why those cheese sniffing beret - bandits disapproved of your request is beyond me.
We do take passport/driving licence numbers for cash payments at hotels as it helps police to keep tabs on you if you do anything naughty so you're probably right.

If French they may have been travelling in the UK on their national ID card (carte nationale d'identité sécurisée) and left their passports at home. You can travel throughout the EU with that, as well as Andorra, Monaco and Switzerland.

In a nutshell.

Under the Immigration (Hotel Records) Order 1972, all hotels, boarding houses, etc. must keep a record of the full name and nationality of their guests over 16 years of age. Aliens must also record the number and place of issue of their passport, their nationality and their next destination.

Records of this information must be kept for at least 12 months and be available for inspection by any police officer

If French they may have been travelling in the UK on their national ID card (carte nationale d'identité sécurisée) and left their passports at home. You can travel throughout the EU with that, as well as Andorra, Monaco and Switzerland.
Yep, we can take that. I asked for that, too.

It is entirely possible that they were staying with a friend or something like that and didn't realise they needed to pick up their passports to travel up and stay with us. There are all sorts of possibilities, really.

The French do not require a passport to travel to the UK. Their driving licence suffices. Maybe that was the reason for their belligerence?

Why can't we travel through Europe on our national ID cards then???

Oh, right.

has that not been surpassed by EU & European laws? Edited to add, i've got a number of Irish relatives who've never been asked for passports when we've stayed at hotels for wedding, funerals, group fights etc.

I find I often have to produce my passport in Europe and some long-haul destinations (but never in North America)

Funny the French should object as my recollection from reading 'Day of the Jackal' was that French hotels had, in those days, to make a daily return to the local police of all overnight stayers. Yes I realise DOTJ was fiction but it was well researched.

Yet I don't think nowadays it's for any official reason because I'm only ever asked for mine and not my wife's when she is with me. You would expect that if the hotel was required to forward these details, they would require them of all travellers.

Yet I don't think nowadays it's for any official reason because I'm only ever asked for mine and not my wife's when she is with me. You would expect that if the hotel was required to forward these details, they would require them of all travellers.
We don't forward the details on to anybody but if the police were looking for a Mr Frog from Bordeaux and it was suspected he had stayed with us then they would be able to look at the invoice that Mr Frog signed and would have a recording of his passport number there.

But, yeah, if I have two people in front of me I still only need one passport number (unless there are two invoices).

TheIronDuke

On ROPS
On ROPs
Book Reviewer
My PA does check-in but if here is an issue, I find a black Amex card shuts the front desk right the **** up. Produce my passport? Do I look ******* foreign?

S

syledis

It always seems to be the dodgier and more 3rd world the country, the more likely you are to be asked for your passport

Latest Threads