Passport/Phase 1

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Animal_Mother, May 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is aimed at people who have gone through basic and have been in a similiar situation. Right, I've just read through the booklet I was given at the end of selection when I was offered my job and on the list of things you need to/should bring to Basic it says a passport. Problem is, I don't have a passport. Did anyone else go to basic without a passport or is it essential?

2. Dont worry about it apply for it and get the money back during phase 2.

3. My CA said that they would sort it out

4. I'm gonna get on the dog and bone to the CA tommorow about it but was just hoping to get a few experienced answers here

5. Depends on how your establishment interprets regs. Used to be arms plot or spearhead (which you couldn't be at phase 2),but the sensible answer would be Yes, if you are likely to be operational within a few months of joining the field Army. If in doubt, try a JPA claim (but remember, you must keep any receipts for at least 3 years in case of audit).

6. Bugger,I was told my son needed one before starting basic tomorrow.

Sent off for it 2 weeks ago,luckily it came on sat.

7. Is your son going in the infantry?

If it's essential atleast I've got time to sort it out. How long do they take to arrive these days?

8. I changed my name and got a new passport with it. I want to change my name back, so i have to get a new passport with my old name reinstated. Lol. I'll have to ask the army to pay for that one :D

9. Fcuk off knobber. To contribute to the origanal discussion, I belive you may need it for a battlefield tour etc. The training staff should be able to get a NATO travel order for that but its best to check.

10. same with me animal_mother. i haven't got a passport, never left shores of this great country :D, but i told my CA and he told me the army will sort it out.

11. Good thing for me is if i ever lose my passport, then i only live about 4 miles away from a passport office.

12. I did have a passport but I lost it, I use to use it for nightclub I.D purposes but it's been out of date for atleast a year anyway. I'll have a word with my CA tommorow morning. Cheers, lads/lasses.

13. Dont worry i was worried about this before i went to basic. On your battlefield tour weekend your go on a thing called a NATO pass.

My Bdr said to me wait till you get to Regt because your most likely to be deployed in 6 months and then your get the passport for free. But if you want to go away during phase 2 or just after then apply for one.

14. I had this arguement with the AFC Harrogate last year when my son went through and needed one for AT, in the end he had to buy one with his own money. Whilst i was a Recruiting Sgt I had been led to believe that the Army would reinburst for the passports at phase 1/2 if required for recruits but the AFC wouldnt and I believe that some of the other training organisations are the same. As some one has pointed out the only time the Army has to pay for the passport of soldiers is when going on operational tours or posted abroad.

There were threads on this last year.