Passport applications

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by polar69, May 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Being a bit of an admin nightmare I have mislaid my passport, it had expired anyway.

    But now of course I need a new one so the question is .....

    Can a TA commisioned officer validate an ID photograph for passport application purposes ?
  2. msr

    msr LE


  3. A good question ... I seem to recall it saying that an Officer of the Armed Forces was eligible to do so ... so technically, yes.
  4. True msr.

    There is an information leaflet in the pack that you will receive when applying for a new passport. There is a list of who can sign your photo in there. Including Commisioned officers
  5. scaryspice

    scaryspice LE Moderator

    I certainly have done. :)
  6. msr

    msr LE


    You may like to ask if the TA will pay for you to get a new one, as it is a requirement for operational deployment.

  7. I'm sure they would pay for it if they sent you call out papers...

    So your choice, pay for it yourself and you get to choose your holiday destination, or let the army pay and they get to choose!

  8. What does it matter, they're all the same, hot, dusty, full of half naked blokes and fat birds!
  9. While the passport notes do not specifically list Armed Forces Officers or indeed Warrant Officers it is accepted that they are a "professionally qualified person" and/or "a person of similar standing" by virtue of a Queens Commission or Warrant.

    You will find a on-line form here with notes to look at:,0.pdf

    Note 8 – Section 10 – Countersignature
    When you have completed the form, someone who has
    known you personally for at least two years should complete
    and sign Section 10. That person should be a British citizen,
    other British national or Commonwealth citizen who is a
    Member of Parliament, Justice of the Peace, Minister of
    Religion, Bank Officer, Established Civil Servant, or
    professionally qualified person, e.g. Lawyer, Engineer,
    Doctor, School Teacher, Police Officer or a person of
    similar standing.

    Also be aware if you have lost your passport (even if it has expired) you also need to complete a ‘Lost or Stolen Passport Notification’ form (Form LS01) otherwise it will further delay your application.