Passing the Port

Discussion in 'Seniors' started by BigRed, Oct 18, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. After imbibing in several messes there seems to be a vast amount of differing traditions on this, obviously all involve passing to the left and pouring for a lady however:

1. Decanter not to leave table
    2. Decanter not to touch table
    3. Decanter lifted over your glass
    4. Pour your own
    5. Pour for the person on your left

Sure there are many more out there.

Is there a "correct" way or does it come down to Corps/Regt/Unit traditions or does it not matter as long as the Port keeps flowing?

2. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Pour yours and whoever is sitting to the left of you then give the 1000 yard stare to anyone who try's to move it on. :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  3. As long as the Port keep flowing who really cares! Perish the thought of it running out at the last Regt Dinner I went to...that was even before everyone had a first fill!!!!!

4. We had a tradition that no two decanters should be with in one place of each other iof they touched you were fined / raddished etc. The subbies had a rule that your glass should be empty when a decanter was passed to you.

The effect if not moderated by Dad was a that of ever increasing rates of decanter passing to avoid "clinkage" and fining and associated port consumption / erratic behaviour etc.

5. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

I presume they sacked the PMC :omg:

6. He did get some s**t later, think he ended up buying a few bottles!

7. Never leaves the table.
    I once got fined a crate for wandering around the mess drinking straight from the decanter.

8. So its down to units tradition then with no hard and fast rules from days gone by?

9. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Good man, if your ever in the west country you can join my ruby society. Meets most nights.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Glad to hear that some of you approve.
    I work down in nigeria now and each month a good bottle of port gets smuggled in. A wee tip to customs normally see's it through.

I believe the reason why port decanters are rounded at the base is so you can still pour without lifting it off the tabls. No idea why this tradition started.Perhaps a fellow arrser can enlighten me?

11. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Ships decanter - rounded base - stops the thing tipping over at sea - but lets not get the navy involved, it will never end. Decanters come in all shapes and sizes, play golf, win and get tons of the bloody things.

12. I was told that not lifting the base from the table came from being on board ships, also why the base is far larger than the neck, which stops the decanter falling over in rough seas.

Personally by the time the port came round I was not too particulary bothered as I was normally 3 parts to the wind.

As no one could actually give me a valid reason not to lift it off the table, it got poured however it came to pass on that particular evening.

Think it is just pish of stuffy seniors trying to make traditions up as it suites.

13. In our mess when you entered there was 2 waiters, One sherry & one port.
    If you let the port waiter know that you will get a few beers for him if he keeps you supplied with port. You will find that he was never too far away when needed