Passing the army fitness test in basic

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by SGTsaladfingers, Jan 7, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, so im starting basic later in the month. However, due to having 2 chest infections after each other then the flu i havent been able to run much in the past 6 weeks or so. My question is, at what stage in the training d you have to run the 1.5 mile in 10:30? I realise to pass selection in 14:00 minutes for my job choice which is easily achievable, but when do you have to complete it in 10:30? Is it in the final weeks? im hoping after 14 weeks of training my fitness will have built up enough again, but if its near the beginning im not sure if i would pass at the minute. Thanks for any helpful replies.
  2. If it's anything like in the past, I'd imagine you may have one within the first few weeks to guage what level you are at and whether you need any additional PT outwith the normal programme, i.e. remedial PT sessions, then another in the final weeks to see any improvement.

Don't sweat it, if you do fail the first, you'll be more than ready by the time the final one comes around.

In the mean time, get pushing them out and pounding the streets, you'll be suprised how much you can improve in a short period of time.

Good luck with your training.
  3. It's reccommended that you manage it in the 10.30min mark, however if you don't, don't worry to much about it, as long as you don't go over the 14min that you needed at ADSC. The instructors will look more closely at you for the next couple of phys sessions to see if you need remedial or weather it was a 1 off.
  4. Ok cheers guys, that put my mind at ease a tad. Gonna start again tomorrow, im feeling a little bit better now, just didnt wanna run with a bad chest and make it worse. see how it goes i guess!!
  5. It wont get worse...I had the same problem for 6 weeks I was off because of a chest infection. My chest wasn't that bad but my muscle endurance was through the floor. I'd say just shock your system back into it so you don't suffer during basic.