Passing Physical

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by romanov, Jul 30, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've got my physical this week but it's come through really quick, they wont say you're not fit enough or over weight or anything will they? Or is it just checking for asthma etc?

Thanks

2. sup rec

sup rec LE Book Reviewer

What do you mean by physical. The only time you get a physical medical examination is at selection and if you rae there then yes they can tell you you are overweight, unfit or not medically suitable.

3. Well, I was told I needed to get a letter from my GP saying I'm suitable. If they said I was unfit or overweight would their be another chance to apply again?

4. sup rec

sup rec LE Book Reviewer

The doctor can only say if you are medically unfit probably not physically. As for BMI, if you massively out and the doctor annotates this, then yes it can stop you, however your BMI will be checked at your formal interview.

5. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

It's a medical examination rather than a fitness test so it's mostly about whether your body works properly, but if you're obese, for example, they will pick up on it.

6. I had one recently. First off is a urine sample, then brief eye test, hearing test, lung capacity test, BMI, ECG. After this wait for the doctor, he will examine your eyes, throat, ears, nose. Range of movement in every joint including walking on balls/heels/sides of feet. Oh and don't forget the cough check ;-)
    Had to do 5 pressups at the end, no physical activity apart from this.
    Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

7. I have my medical exam soon and was wondering;
    does everyone do a lung function test or are you told previously to going?
    What do people generally wear, I was thinking just some chinos and a shirt or something along those lines?
    Thank You

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Prior to going*

9. In regards to dress, it was a mixture of shirt/trousers, some had chinos, saw a lad in tshirt and jeans (saw nothing said to him however you all wear a numbered bib for identification).

10. Depends, what's your BMI?

(W/H[sup]2[/sup] - weight in kg divided by height squared)

If it's over 25 then you may have issues, but it's not a problem if it's muscle rather than pies.

11. sup rec

sup rec LE Book Reviewer

28 is the upper limit for the Army

12. Lack of Phys and love handles, eh?

13. Ah, I was close!

14. Just had mine today and passed, basically you arrive
    Pee in a pot
    Sit in waiting room and complete questionnaire
    Do a hearing test (press button when hear beep)
    Sit in waiting room
    Do eye sight test ( read letters on board)
    Do lung capacity test ( blow into tube)
    Be weighed and measured
    Hand pee pot in
    Sit in waiting room
    Do ECG
    Sit in waiting room
    Do medical ( answer questions, take top half off and Dr will listen to heart and check feet and joints, put top half on and take bottom half off apart from underwear Dr will make you walk on ball, heel and side of feet, do 5 press ups, check testicles)
    Sit in waiting room
    Get told whether you have passed or failed.
    The waiting room has a water machine, toilets and Ross kemp on tv. Hope this helps