Passing Main Board no longer guarantees entry to Sandhurst

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by DMan, Dec 6, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I had my initial interview today and my ACA said that, after the main board this weekend, passing main board will no longer guarantee you a place at Sandhurst. Apparently, as the army size is scaling down, they are intruding even further tests to only accept the best at Sandhurst.

Dman.

2. Twas ever thus really, just not really formalised. As anyone in the army knows, the trick isn't to pass the entry criteria, it's to get loaded onto the course.

Don't believe it until you are carrying your ironing board up New College steps.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Old College dear boy, and they prefer you to bring your kit in through the back these days (you still get to park on OC parade ground though...briefly).

The format for the last 4 years or so has been that if you didn't contact OCAC and at least provisionally book a place on a CC then your MB pass was invalidated rather quickly. The point being that once you had got through MB it was expected that the individual knew whether they wanted to attend RMAS or not however, some decide its not for them right up into the Senior Term. Maniacs.

4. Isn't this just moving into line with both the RAF and Navy?

5. What I really want to know is who in their right mind is joining up now? Junior Officers now work harder for far less reward than ever before and, switching to a maritime analogy, the whole ship is slowly sinking.

6. Interesting point. I'm not sure that I would join up again either.

7. That's daunting. I'm looking at leaving teaching to start a new career as an officer. Might I ask why you feel this way?

8. TMo

TMo Swinger

Interesting viewpoints seeing as I'm due to start in May! I'm eagerly awaiting my joining instructions as I haven't heard anything since sending back my PCCBC and entry confirmations post-Main Board.

9. Well, if you can find another career which allows you to enjoy the privilege of commanding the most annoying, sly, dishonest, evil - and brave, magnificent and hilarious - soldiers in the world, you should obviously pursue that. If, on the other hand, you can't find one and what I've described is what you want to do, there's no alternative. If you don't want to do that, don't waste the Army's or Sandhust's time, don't take the place, never mind if you managed to pass the Main Board or not.

I know this doesn't apply to you, Bloke mate, but if there's one thing which pisses me off royally, it's folk looking to commission without thinking it all the way through and viewing the Army as a route to another career. It certainly can be, but in my days as a senior, I was constantly disappointed by the young gentlemen who somehow didn't seem to enjoy the company of soldiers and couldn't *wait* to get away from them.

• Like Like x 1
  10. What will happen then, it appealed to me the fact I could have a place at Sandhurst booked 2 years before Uni finishes. I could understand increasing requirements, but i don't see the need in passing someone and not guaranteeing them a place?

And regards to Navy and RAF they both require applicants to apply for a particular job. They then get loaded onto a course if there are enough spaces for that job, so the popular jobs require a higher score to be obtained in selection.

11. News to me I had my interview last month and was told that I could have place confirmed on a CC as soon as I have the main board out of the road.

12. Ncaunt, PM coming your way!

13. To follow up on GladItsAllOver's point, here is my considered view on a sensible approach to being an Officer in the Army of today (Some will note that it is very similar to the model traditionally followed by many members of "proper" regiments):

Join, preferably a combat arm, stay single! Command a platoon, reach the dizzy rank of Captain, leave as soon as you can. DO NOT regard the Army as a rewarding and satisfying CAREER. It will not be for the vast majority of officers. What it still can be is a rewarding and satisfying short term experience. Once you promote to Major, the fun is over and you are likely to be trapped in one way or another in an increasingly frustrating job, surrounded by desperate back-stabbers and increasingly disconnected from soldiering and the soldiers you joined to serve with. Unless you are convinced you will command a (your?) Regiment, there is no point staying in after you finish Company command (if you have stayed that long).

Key to the whole adventure is my early point - do not get married. The life of a single officer is fun. The fewer financial responsibilities you have, the easier it will be to make the decision to leave when the time is right.

14. You could have been the Captain I sat beside at a mess dinner in Blandford over 30 years ago. I had passed RCB (as it was then) and was down for a familiarisation visit. I pondered his words, slept on it, and then next day walked away from joining up. Some regrets over the years but the clincher was could I justify the Army training me for 6 years then inevitably walk out on them. No.

15. Not sure I agree with you Mush dad, and I have copied the bit I disgree with.

"but the clincher was could I justify the Army training me for 6 years then inevitably walk out on them. No. "

I think we all agree the Army trains you very well for thejob, and then gets its pound of flesh back, in some cases with interest! So having done just what Blokeonabike did, and the Captain you no doubt shared a bum warmer in the Mess all those years ago, I tend to say it is horses for courses.

There are very bright capable officers who know what they want, and aim for the sky. Then there are those who do not see themselves in uniform for life and do a short term commision. They leave with outstanding skills and abililities to take into the Civilian world. Most I am sure also nurse knackered knees, backs and ears a legacy of the time they spent serving.