Pass out parade with medals

#1
Just seen a mates photo album on facebook.

His partner has just passed out from recruit training but she has two operational gongs. It just seems so so so wrong.
 
#2
I know :(, we had a lad who has done 4 back to back combat tours of stan and iraq, a tour junky, hes L/Cpl and if he wants to go regs he has to do CIC.
 
#3
polar said:
Just seen a mates photo album on facebook.

His partner has just passed out from recruit training but she has two operational gongs. It just seems so so so wrong.
Why? We had ex TA joining the regulars wearing theirs at the passing out parade. They earned them they get to wear them.
Unless your implying she isn't entitled to them?
 
#4
Now I see what you are saying She shouldn't have to do basic.
 
#5
My wife did 6 yrs TA, got to full screw and did a tour. She has just completed phase one, after initial promises she would only do phase two. Funnily, I resent it, as a reg, more than she does!
 
#6
stacker1 said:
Now I see what you are saying She shouldn't have to do basic.
In a way. She's joined a different service so I partly agree she has to do basic but the rules can make a situation where a recruit has more operational experience than the instructor.

I just think this needs to be looked at, things are not black & white at the mo - we have a large bit of grey in the TA but I would say if you've earned an op gong - you've done your basic, any service
 
#7
Don't necessarily agree. I have an ex TA mate now reg, who was infantry, now RMP. His Op tour experience consisted primarily of booking people into Div.
 
#8
what NM said, obviously would need to do basic for Trade training, but for infantry wanting to go regs with his regular battalion after doing 2-4 op tours with said parent battalion should not apply.
 
#9
I think with RMP the policy is your tour needs to fall within 2 yrs of your trg date.
 
#10
polar said:
stacker1 said:
Now I see what you are saying She shouldn't have to do basic.
In a way. She's joined a different service so I partly agree she has to do basic but the rules can make a situation where a recruit has more operational experience than the instructor.

I just think this needs to be looked at, things are not black & white at the mo - we have a large bit of grey in the TA but I would say if you've earned an op gong - you've done your basic, any service
Maybe s mini-basic training course for TA wanting to tranfer, I presume there is enough TA wanting to join to warrant it.
I had this discussion with TA who transfered before, the training for a tour(and doing a tour), Is not always enough for being back at barracks. (How often do the TA have room inspections) Would doing a tour in the Balkans 10 years previous mean that they should now skip regular basic? Undoubtly there is quite alot TA soldiers with tour experiance could miss in normal training but maybe not all.
 
#12
polar said:
stacker1 said:
Undoubtly there is quite alot TA soldiers with tour experiance could miss in normal training but maybe not all.
Agree with that 100%
Maybe it needs to be pushed up the chain of command to design a tranfer course (If it saves the MOD money they are very likely to it).
 
#13
stacker1 said:
polar said:
stacker1 said:
Undoubtly there is quite alot TA soldiers with tour experiance could miss in normal training but maybe not all.
Agree with that 100%
Maybe it needs to be pushed up the chain of command to design a tranfer course (If it saves the MOD money they are very likely to it).
Six weeks at a ITC or a ATR perhaps.
 
#14
callum13 said:
what NM said, obviously would need to do basic for Trade training, but for infantry wanting to go regs with his regular battalion after doing 2-4 op tours with said parent battalion should not apply.
Certain TA soldiers in inf Bn's have achieved this through S - Type, Initial FTRS engagements and just down right good common sense by the unit Adjt's.
 
#15
It seems the Army is missing a trick here. A lot of guys join the TA for 3-4 years, do a tour or two and then want to transfer to regular service. The fact they have to start again from scratch puts many of them off. Especially if they have rank as the drop in pay can be crippling. If there could be some sort of fast track, or just make the transfer process simpler, it would benefit the Army across the board. You have some first class soldiers in the TA and many more would be willing to make that jump if it was easier.

Obviously there would have to be some sort of screening process, as we have our fair share of mongs and walts!
 
#16
I guy from my sqn went in to the regs same cap badge after a tour, skipped basic just re-traded and kept his stripe!

stilts
 
#17
Since when has saving on training, even 'basic' training EVER been a good idea?

What a STAB has done in the past whether on ops or not is irrelevent. He may have a nice rack of op tour medals, para wings and even have served with the reg bn he wants to join - but he should still do basic.

The regula army doesn't just let you fly helicopters because you have a PPL to do so, it doesn't garrenttee you a place in the Para Regt if you are a sports parachutist, it doesn't let you drive a tank or warrior just because you have a civie tracked liecence or be a redcap because you were a plod.

Shame some people have an ego that makes them think they are 'special' - they're not.

And again I say, when is saving on training, even 'basic' training ever a good idea?
 
#18
brewmeister said:
The fact they have to start again from scratch puts many of them off. Especially if they have rank as the drop in pay can be crippling.
A Lance Jack from our place came back off of a tour somewhere sandy, signed up with a different cap badge and went straight in to Phase 2 (trade training). He Kept his tape for as long as the Trg Maj could allow before being bumped down, with no reduction in pay.

Same goes if you decide to go Commission after being a Tom for x-amount of years. If you make it to Sgt then choose to go for Commission, you'll be a 2nd Lefty on a Sgt's wages (which is considerably more).

But then I hear horror stories of people having to start back at the begninning again so clearly there is no defined process in place, and experiences varies between soldiers.

Edited to add that the above transfer was from non-inf to non-inf.
 
#19
brewmeister said:
It seems the Army is missing a trick here. A lot of guys join the TA for 3-4 years, do a tour or two and then want to transfer to regular service. The fact they have to start again from scratch puts many of them off. Especially if they have rank as the drop in pay can be crippling. If there could be some sort of fast track, or just make the transfer process simpler, it would benefit the Army across the board. You have some first class soldiers in the TA and many more would be willing to make that jump if it was easier.

Obviously there would have to be some sort of screening process, as we have our fair share of mongs and walts!
Well said. Could the screening process be a 1 year FTRS initially, to see if they are up to scratch and to see if the regular army is what the person wanted?

msr
 
#20
Airfix
I assume that you would also agree that it would apply to ARABs in reverse - ie just left Regular Army & should start from scratch in the TA both for rank, pay and recruit training?
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top