Pass out ideas? What to buy.

Robme

LE
We gave our intake NCO a pace Stick.
mind you that was a long time ago.
I like the idea of asking him what he would like.

TBH at 19 if my dad had given me 400 quid to spend on beer I certainly would have thanked him most effusively.
It's unlikely that Army mama is the lad's Dad, unless they are for Norfolk.

Most of our lads added kukris or bowie knives to their webbing. I liked kukris because they were a general purpose tool that you could cut branches or dig a small hole with.
But what country are you in @CSM's Despair.. ?!

I have a couple of kukri in the house - for "gardening" you understand - gifted to me by my son a former Officer of Gurkhas, but to my knowledge they are VERY Gurkha specific !!

Initially hinted at by the DS in my intake though chinned off as deep down they realised it was a cnut's trick.

Cadging cigarettes off the Jocks over 6 months however probably more than made up for it.
Our 'tradition' was to be saluted, and then give the tosser a fiver for beer.
Sod that.
I'm sure the 'training staff' were behind the string of thefts in the last week as well.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Agreed! He may not mind looking like an officer . . . but his mates will take the piss :( .
Oh, go on. You couldn't move in Aldershot in the 80s for waxed cotton jackets. The PRIs there were selling 'Barbour-type' jackets as there was such a ready market.

Barbour has the advantage of being street fashionable, not just the preserve of the shooting set. I know plenty of young 'uns who'd have one like a shot.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
They are all chipping in £10-15 for Amazon vouchers and getting him a crate of craft beer that he has asked for. The platoon Sgt has asked that they get him a 12 year old bottle of his favourite scotch. Between the entire intake they can live with that I think.
So basically each intake is getting rushed for several hundred pounds-worth of vouchers? That ought to be gripped. It's wrong and I'm appalled that it still goes on.

Edited for spelling errors.

Last edited:

Slime

LE
Big difference between a folding-blade "pen-knife", and a fixed-blade knife . . . now illegal, anyway if over 3" (?) blade . . . which will NOT be approved of, and which seemed to dominate much of the site to which @Lardbeast provided link.

Most on here, can remember the time when the army issued you with a knife!

Some are old enough to remember when it included a "marlin-spike" for rope-work . . . and, picking-out their horses' hooves !! :) .

35023NEW.jpg

Wah shield up.
Dont you start with that horse‘s hooves malarkey :)

Shield down :)

I think some are old enough here to have been issued with the knife at the bottom of this pic, not just the ‘newer’ version!

4C59091C-16A5-4943-A150-1A47681EC914.jpeg

I have a couple of kukri in the house - for "gardening" you understand - gifted to me by my son a former Officer of Gurkhas, but to my knowledge they are VERY Gurkha specific !!
British army before the days of political correctness. Every squaddy had a locker full of sharp edged tat: Mail order Samurai swords, spears brought back from Kenya, rambo knives, axes...God knows what else.

I never personally witnessed it, but I heard stories of people carrying private weapons on the streets of Belfast that would have led to major scandals today.

We all liked to carry kukris or bowies on our webbing. When chest webbing first came out, there was a craze for strapping tanto edged daggers to the front. The officers and senior NCOs were fine with it.

Oh, go on. You couldn't move in Aldershot in the 80s for waxed cotton jackets. The PRIs there were selling 'Barbour-type' jackets as there was such a ready market.

Barbour has the advantage of being street fashionable, not just the preserve of the shooting set. I know plenty of young 'uns who'd have one like a shot.
Yep, wish i'd splashed out on one years ago,before wasting my dosh on married life

144 for £20

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Ha believe me I wasn’t happy but I’m under strict orders to stop moaning about it all lol. Yes, basically not long before final exercise they are called into the corridor and all the section NCOs announced their wish list. He said it was done in a jokey fashion but basically told any intake that doesn’t comply will have a rough introduction into the battalion. It’s anything for an easy life and to be honest I think at this stage they are just itching to get out of ITC.
Extortion, then. Great.

Big difference between a folding-blade "pen-knife", and a fixed-blade knife . . . now illegal, anyway if over 3" (?) blade . . . which will NOT be approved of, and which seemed to dominate much of the site to which @Lardbeast provided link.

Most on here, can remember the time when the army issued you with a knife!

Some are old enough to remember when it included a "marlin-spike" for rope-work . . . and, picking-out their horses' hooves !! :) .

35023NEW.jpg

Or just browse the site while averting your eyes from any big scary knives. Plenty of pens, compasses, nylon gear, backpacks, travel bags, toiletry bags, duffels, scran spanners, flasks, shaving gear, lanterns, torches, cleaning kits, multi and keyring tools and what-have-you.

oh god theres going to be hell on when Stacker 1 see's that
Not just Stacker !!

I have a feeling phone calls could be made to the ITC Catterick's Adjutant, CoS, Commandant :( !!

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Out of curiosity, which 'division' is he in i.e. Scots, Kings, Queens etc?
All, a brief interlude.

If this is all still going on and something happens to grip it, anything which identifies someone who can be 'blamed' isn't helpful for that individual.

I suggest that we park further comment and stick to gift ideas.

MODs: Any chance of a thread tidy-up, please?

Aren't they just. I got away with wearing one having done the Jungle Warfare instructors course, but not sure a NIG would get away with one!
I still have a bowie knife and that was confiscated from a recruit, and that was over 40 years ago

Latest Threads