Pass grade for Mental Aptitude test

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by Jenjo, Feb 9, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I am preparing for the mental aptitude test but cant find any information on what a pass grade is. For fitness its very clear what I need to do to get through, but im not sure if I need say 80% in the MAP test to get through selection. Any advice would be great,

Thanks guys

2. Why does it matter? Aim for answering everything correctly. I don't think (can't remember now) you can revise for it anyway - just practice speed/distance/time calculations as much as possible as a starter for ten.

Edited to add:

Because I'm not a complete dick, try this to assist you with prep:

http://army.mod.uk/documents/general/map_test_prep.pdf

3. Thanks, I am doing lots of prep for the best grade i can get, i just wondered as it would be a motivational boost if I knew i was close. Will check out the link, thanks for the reply

4. The clue is in the name - Mental Aptitude Test. Similar to an IQ test, it is looking at your natural tendencies and abilities to analyse and evaluate data that is presented to you. Just try not to over think the questions and hopefully you will do fine.

If this gives you any peace of mind, a number of people on my intake had relatively low MAP scores and still made it here, whilst some others received the max score...

Good luck with your main board.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Nice to have my prejudices regarding a number of British Army Officers confirmed.

6. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

For AOSB Main Board, your score in the MAP is combined with various other factors, like your educational achievements, essay result, background and so on, to produce what is called an 'Intellectual Potential' rating which is what you get boarded on. Aptitude profiles are a pretty good indicator of intellectual potential but they aren't watertight, so a poor score in the MAP doesn't necessarily mean you're going to fail. At Briefing your MAP is similarly looked at 'in the round', so if you get a very low score, you won't necessarily get a Cat 4 unless you perform poorly in other aspects of the board.

7. The point I was making is that MAP scores are an indicator of mental potential, not a reflection of current ability.

8. Go and buy yourself a couple of test books for practice. It really helps.

9. Not a mong / 10