Pashley bicycles

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Afternoon all,

Despite being of the studenty persuasion I do also do a minimal amount of part-time work for an investment house and they've recently opened their flexible benefits window. One of the things I can utilise is the Cycle2Work scheme.

Now, I have a road bike for proper cycling/triathlons and a hybrid for recreational/pub runs but by golly I'm tempted by an old-fashioned, twice as heavy as my road bike Pashley.*

Don't suppose anyone has any experience with them and could comment as regards build quality and so on before I take the plunge? I'll likely do it anyway but just checking whether they're overrated.

*Yes. I know that I'll look even more of a dick than usual.

IME the build is rally rather poor, shoddy welding to poor tolerances they've stuck with very outdated and low end componentry and standards that mean its difficult to change or upgrade anything (Quill stems rather than aheadsets for example)

go and buy a Surly or kona ute instead

the only thing that would tempt me in their range would be the parabike, however it doesnt fold any more...

Unless your marginal tax rate is 40-45% you're better off buying something second hand. You have a road bike and a hybrid already so the 3rd bike will be for what exactly? If riding to work the hybrid will do that; just stick some mudguards on to to increase its invisibility to thieves. If it's for mountain biking then the Pashley will be useless. If all you want is an old-fashioned heavy bike then £50 should get you something off ebay from the 80s that'll fit the bill.
Having looked at bikes for Mrs D63 and the little D63s in Evans I do also think the Pashley's are over-rated and over-priced for what they are.

Last edited:

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Unless your marginal tax rate is 40-45% you're better off buying something second hand. You have a road bike and a hybrid already so the 3rd bike will be for what exactly? If riding to work the hybrid will do that; just stick some mudguards on to to increase its invisibility to thieves. If it's for mountain biking then the Pashley will be useless. If all you want is an old-fashioned heavy bike then £50 should get you something off ebay from the 80s that'll fit the bill.

Truth be told I just think they look nice but it's a very fair point: no idea what I'd use it for beyond the occasional trip through Edinburgh.

Labrat; many thanks mate; it was the Parabike I was looking at.

Right, in that case my main concerns would be the hub brakes and sturmey hub

Relatively maintenance free, but nightmare to sort out problems with

Now, if someone did the ww2 para bike style folding frame updated with something like an alfine 8 or 11 disc hub, hydro discs, decent spec components, sus fork option, then I would snap one up. Be great for putting in the car or train travel

In the meantime, for a budget simple/fun commute bike like that, have a look at the kona humuhumunukunukuapua'a

Last edited:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Truth be told I just think they look nice but it's a very fair point: no idea what I'd use it for beyond the occasional trip through Edinburgh.

Labrat; many thanks mate; it was the Parabike I was looking at.
If you are riding through the centre of Edinburgh on Tuesdays and are knocked off your bike by someone driving a red Volvo then that will be me! The maniacal laughter may help ID me also :twisted:

Latest Threads