Party guest set RAF pilot in sheep costume alight

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Blogg, May 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Now there is a headline you do not see every day.

A man walked free from court yesterday after he admitted setting alight an RAF pilot who was dressed as a sheep for a fancy dress party. Phillip Buckingham, 24, set fire to the costume, made from cotton wool and pillows, at a graduation party at Linton-on-Ouse airbase in North Yorkshire in November.

His victim, Martin Geraghty, 26, suffered burns that required skin grafts in the incident, which followed a traditional piano-burning ceremony, Teesside crown court heard.

Buckingham, of Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, admitted causing grievous bodily harm as part of a "stupid, drunken prank which went very badly wrong", the court heard.

The judge, Brian Forster, handed him a 12-month jail sentence, suspended for a year, and ordered him to carry out 100 hours of unpaid work and to pay his victim £7,500 in compensation. Buckingham must also pay £900 prosecution costs.

The judge described it as a "reckless prank".

Buckingham, who works in research and development for a water company, was a guest of two trainee pilots at the party, which had a rural theme. They were watching the piano-burning ceremony, the court heard.

Dan Cordey, prosecuting, said: "It led to a discussion about what would happen to Martin Geraghty if he attempted the feat in his fancy dress costume. The consensus was it was a stupid idea."

Buckingham took a lighter from his pocket and set fire to Geraghty's costume. Geraghty threw himself to the ground and rolled on the floor, trying to put out the flames, while people threw drinks over him. Buckingham was arrested at the base and in interviews said he had been so drunk he could remember little about the incident.

Geraghty, who was in training at the time, was off work for six weeks but managed to graduate in March despite his injuries, which required skin grafts.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/may/20/ukcrime2

2. I do hope they weren't alcoholic drinks.

3. My sister looked after him when he was in Selly Oak, nice bloke apparently and his friend is now a pretty much a broken man.

I also heard that someone robbed him of his wallet and phone at some point after the incident.

(Edited to add - if this is the same incident, cant be two like this surely)

4. Thats just Baaaaaabaric !

'Taxi mate ?'

'yup, 2 secs pal ill just get my coat...........

5. Blimey, first its name calling and then this!

6. At what point did he think it was going well???

7. I'd be interested to know what the "traditional piano burning ceremony" was all about........would it be something along similar lines to a "traditional" game of Freckles? :wink:

8. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

So, he crashed and burned then . . . . .

Er, can I share that cab mate, thanks . . .

9. you burn the piano from the mess. simple as that, outside of course. our OC braved the blaze to retrieve the stool once....only to have it thrown back in when he wasnt looking. lol.

10. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Good to see the old traditions still exist. 8)

I was in one Mess where a piano was purchased especially for such occasions for a couple of quid [it being knackered and useless and only fit for being demolished in the Bar and the pieces cast out through the window into the car park, where it was burned]. The tarmac outside was full of spots of molten lead from the bits inside :lol:

Really sorry for the victim though, NODUF.

11. Thanks for putting me straight, I'd never come across that one before. The only Mess tradition I'd seen before involving fire was the Dance of The Flaming Arrseholes, usually followed by an attempt to extinguish said inferno using Asbach brandy, & a visit to the Med Centre. 8O

12. Just occasionally, random chance throws up some priceless moments. The first time I saw this thread on the home page, it was right above auxie's 'Good Result'. :D

13. Hmm, talking about hot sheep...

Spit roast, anyone?

Attached Files: