Parts of arrse forcing pop up windows with possible malware links

wafubustard

War Hero
I'm getting an audio "congratulations" on certain threads like who wants to buy a classic car and Ravers Sopworth PUP and the Aldi tools thread.
I cannot use the back buttons to move off the thread, I have to go to the menu.

I am using a Samsung S6 with updated AVG etc.

I've been getting one over the last few days. Until now it's been opening a new tab, but today it opened in the same window that Arrse had been in. Had to close the tab to re-open Arrse.

It was a fake ad from a Danish telephone company telling me that I've been randomly chosen to win an iPhone.

Sky, Samsung and some betting company - all on my phone. ARRSE unuseable that way.

Bad CO

Admin
Screenshots please

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

No can do via ARRSE. What’s your admin email - I’ll send them that way. Using a different device to write this!

IMG_6207.PNG
IMG_6206.PNG
IMG_6204.PNG
IMG_6207.PNG
IMG_6206.PNG

wafubustard

War Hero
I'm getting the following again using Chrome on my S6. Every time I try and change page it comes up.
On duckduckgo everything behaves normally.
Screenshot_20190623-221712.png

Bad CO

Admin
Have you clicked on it? This is the now mandatory thing we need to do to comply with EU law.

You shouldn't really be barebacking the internet by this point. No excuse. Even sites like arrse.

Do a blanket whitelisting/blacklisting of as much of the internet as you can via adblockers/javascript blockers/hosts file that blocks off all those nasty 'media' companies that carry the malware via the advertising vectors.

Use at least one reputable anti-virus/malware if you can just in case stuff 'gets through'. Even better, only browse in a virtual machine or in a sandbox. If you get an infection you can pretty much just delete the VM or sandbox and be good again. There's other software out there too that lets you reset your machine to an earlier state.

But to browse a site like arrse or any other big level site that has no real control of the vectors that the ads are propogated by, well, it's just asking for trouble. This is not a slight on arrse, it's an observation about all sites that allow advertising in this way.

I realise that many surf arrse via mobile and whatnot, but still, adblock adblock adblock. If you can.

Of course this will have an impact on revenue for the site owners and operators who already probably only keep their heads above the water what with hosting costs. I doubt that arrse is a money making for pure profit enterprise, but still the lights need to be kept on. On the site and in the homes of those who give of their time and expertise. I do get it. I'm not a commie.

So if you use the site a lot and are a regular, consider making a donation to make up for any loss of revenue incurred. The more you use the site the more you will be exposed to attack vectors and so it makes sense to just block everything you can coming from a known malware vector such as ad networks. I don't know, chuck a tenner in to the pot every few months or so or when you're flush. At least put something in. I know many of you already do.

I block everything on the internet, not just arrse. I made a few small donations here and there. In fact, it's probably time I made another come to think of it.

There will always be enough mugs to keep the ad thing alive. Don't be one of them if you value your security. This is just stuff you can see (the shenanigans noted above) but there's other far more nefarious stuff that can happen if you just allow this kind of open access to your machine.

And don't forget to make the odd donation. All of the sites I use a lot I chuck them between a tenner and fifty quid a year. There's not so many sites I do that with (a handful). They are always very appreciative and it goes to show how few people actually dip their hands in their pockets and make a hard cash donation. In fact if it weren't for the big 'sugar daddy' donators many of these sites would shut. Most people that use these websites donate nothing. If it were not for specific sponsors/benefactors giving large cash injections, these sites would have ceased to exist a while back.

With regard to the malware spewing out via the ad networks:
I'm sure the owners/operators of arrse do their best to keep on top of stuff like this and it must be a right royal pain for them, but they are only human (so the legend goes). And that's why it's a good idea to have threads like these. They have no idea when something goes 'rogue' so any heads up for them is a valuable pointer.

Block those ads, but make a small donation of even a fiver if that is all you can afford. Be honest, you spent more than that on the bottle of turps you mainline before you started your nightly arrse session. Admit it...

And I'll get around to making another small donation soon, after realising it's been a while.

In many ways, we get the 'internet' we deserve.

This is a business model that can work for arrse. Even if half of those that adblock make a small donation, I think it would more than make up for loss of revenue. These things have to be considered as we're pretty much out of la la land now with regard to how websites are maintained and run: like many other businesses that take real life meat-sacks running in real time, giving most of the hours of their day - Cash helps.

A fiver, a tenner, a score. These make a big difference. Hell, chuck them a fifty if you're flush (and drunk) enough! I know many people already donate, but more should. Same as it is with all other 'big' websites. Even a couple of quid makes up for blocking a few ads. Those things only pay fractions of a penny on the pound per thousands of hits, so it's not a great loss and even a few quid more than makes up for it.

Just something to consider. If you already run your browsing via a VM (virtual machine) or sandbox, or use software like Time Machine, then just let the ads roll! But maybe you should still consider making a donation.

But don't feel guilty about blocking ads. Unless you actively want to receive them of course. I know a few of you do. You get a good deal on a piece of kit and you're happy to snap it up. It's a fine line to tread. And the site owners/operators must work hard to make that happen.

Baby/Bathwater - your choice!

So, you're saying we should consider donating, say, a tenner?

Just checking like.

Bad CO

Admin
I don't think anyone likes ads but they are essential to keep the site alive. For what it is worth, I always run ARRSE with the full ads experience so I get a feel for how intrusive they are.

Another option is to go ads free on ARRSE which you can do via the link below:

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/account/upgrades

Happening now, blocks all others sites. Had to turn phone on/off

Attachments

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm getting the following again using Chrome on my S6. Every time I try and change page it comes up.
On duckduckgo everything behaves normally. View attachment 400423
I get the same on some but not all threads. I have tried all combinations of consent/deny onscreen and settings but it has no effect the thing just keeps appearing. I contacted Quantcast who replied that it was all in the settings. Typical septic - no real help at all except to ask who was using it - as if I know.

Ritch

LE
Whenever I open ARRSE, I get these adverts for games where you have to choose something to help the cartoon pixels on screen.

Like this.

Screenshot_20190716-202857.jpg

It's doing my head in.

Been getting these for the last 36 hours...

Wifi and 4g

Attachments

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
I am still getting the one below regardless of what settings I have.
same message again.jpg

The company inform me that it must be my fault. The surprising thing is that it fairly regularly appears but not every time and if it does it will reappear every page even though it has already preset the conditions previously entered. What is even more fun (for the want of a better word) is the fact sometimes it appears as an opaque presentation and I have to guess where the selections are.

Bad CO

Admin
Can you try with a different browser pse?

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
As soon as I try a different browser I get this - before I can even log in.

yet again.jpg

Latest Threads