Partners to get say in licences?

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Infiltrator, Jan 17, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC News - UK firearms: Licence applicants may need partners' approval

I presume this is response to the couple firearms that have been used in domestic violence recently.

It's seems like a bit of a slegehammer to crack a nut. I would suggest that if the perpetrators didn't have access to firearms, they would have used something else to do the job.

I'm not saying for one moment, that we shouldn't care, but I would certainly suggest that anyone with a record of any form of domestic violence should be out of the loop for a ticket anyway.

2. Another bloody gimmick.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

What if your partner once did a tenner for armed robbery?

4. If the applicant is violent and the partner hasn't left them, what chances are there that the partner will sign out of fear or 'because he loves me really' or 'he only does it when he's had a drink/I upset him'?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Granting and renewal time.

6. Why put the onus on the wives/girlfriends/boyfriends/exes. Surely it would be simpler for the Plebs to check to see if someone has any allegations of any sort made against them, and refuse a permit (subject to appeal) if there are.

7. Here they can come and check when they want, with they initially asked for photographic and receipt evidence of the safe, showing its installation, serial number plate, security class and location.

The only people I know have been checked have been wealthy types and known friends, family, customers and associates of a local gun trader, who is now behind "Swedish curtains".

8. I think there are enough threads going at the moment where you've made that point repeatedly, so perhaps this one could be saved for discussion of the matter at hand?

• Like Like x 4
  9. Why restrict it to firearms, let's require a spouse to approve driving licences and TV licences.

It's a damn fool idea.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Not to mention if he is passing and fancies a brew.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I am sure you can tell the difference between a firearm in the house that someone is not happy with, maybe to do with children being present and a DL or TV Licence.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

12. The only time a spouse will say 'no' is when the relationship has already broken down, and then it would probably make matters worse. However, 'something must be done - this is something so we must do it.'

• Like Like x 1
  13. If the partner really didn't want his/her SO to have SC or FAC then they should simply contact the relivant authority and make thier objections known. As PF said above this is a be seen to do something BS.

14. We don't have a massive issue with legally held weapons in this country, so it probably would not make a great deal of difference to any gun crime stats.

It just appears to make sense to ask a householder if they are happy with firearms or shotguns being kept in their house.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)