Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parties, who are they and what exactly do they stand for?

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
Btw - the English language was our greatest legacy to India and many of our former colonies. It meant the whole country (which was a disparate bunch of warring princely & religious states, barely a recognisable country) could easily communicate with each other, and with English becoming the lingua franca, gave it a huge boost on the world stage.
Strange that, eh? What with English not even being an official language in India. And certainly not a lingua franca.

MsG

squiffy

Old-Salt
You just want an excuse to post anti British colonialism rants, get over it is my advice.

Far from it. I am not anti British nor ashamed of our colonial past. However, we should know the facts about our history and not look at it through rose tinted spectacles thinking that we have always done good, played nicely and left everywhere a better place that we have been.
Morally, we should be helping less developed countries, especially those we made our wealth and cemented our position as a world power from and not turn our back on everything as this and previous governments want to do.

Strange that, eh? What with English not even being an official language in India. And certainly not a lingua franca.

MsG
So, apart from the 200 million speakers quoted as speaking it as a second (foreign) language in that very article, and the fact that it does quote it as an official language, no-one has ever heard of it.

Do you ever read the articles you use to back up your ludicrous claims?

Last edited:

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
So, apart from the 200 million speakers quoted as speaking it as a second (foreign) language in that very article, and the fact that it does quote it as an official language, no-one has ever heard of it.

And the other 800 million who want to be able to speak English....

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Hindi and English

The Indian constitution declares Hindi in Devanagari script to be the official language of the union. Unless Parliament decided otherwise, the use of English for official purposes was officially to cease after the constitution came into effect, on January 26, 1965.[5] The prospect of the changeover led to much alarm in the non Hindi-speaking areas of India, as a result of which Parliament enacted the Official Languages Act, 1963, providing for the continued use of English for official purposes along with Hindi, even after 1965. An attempt was made in late 1964 to expressly provide for an end to the use of English, but it was met with protests from across the country, some of which turned violent. Widespread protests occurred in states such as Tamil Nadu, Kerala, West Bengal, Karnataka, Pondicherry and Andhra Pradesh. As a result of these protests, the proposal was dropped,[6] and the Act itself was amended in 1967 to provide that the use of English would not be ended until a resolution to that effect was passed by the legislature of every state that had not adopted Hindi as its official language, and by each house of the Indian Parliament.

Oh Bugsy, you really are a pitiful wretch.

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer

The current population of India is 1,382,011,722 as of Tuesday, August 25, 2020, based on Worldometer elaboration of the latest United Nations data. And all of 200 million in the country speak English as a second language, you say? Well, I never!:lol::lol::lol:

I also never stated that no-one in India had ever heard of English, just that it's not an official language there. Do you ever read posts and articles properly before you recklessly jump in with a *snigger* counter-argument?

MsG

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
Oh Bugsy, you really are a pitiful wretch.
Ha, ha! And yet you still feel so inferior to me that you habitually resort to schoolyard ad-homs, eh?:p

MsG

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
The current population of India is 1,382,011,722 as of Tuesday, August 25, 2020, based on Worldometer elaboration of the latest United Nations data. And all of 200 million in the country speak English as a second language, you say? Well, I never!:lol::lol::lol:

I also never stated that no-one in India had ever heard of English, just that it's not an official language there. Do you ever read posts and articles properly before you recklessly jump in with a *snigger* counter-argument?

MsG
Yes, but the British left India many years ago so it's no good quoting the current situation. If I'm correct we left in one of the years that you were born...

MsG
But there it is as a second language, It's spread only hampered by a lack of education, and yes, it is mentioned as an official language in the article; fifth from the top in the list of official languages.

It is currently used across India in business, finance and politics, thus, as a Lingua Franca.

As @RBMK states, those that don't speak it probably wish they did.
Thus, your rebuttal that it has not benefited India is tripe.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Ha, ha! And yet you still feel so inferior to me that you habitually resort to schoolyard ad-homs, eh?:p

MsG
It's stated in what I posted it's an official language, you are indeed quite pitiful and wretched not to be able to see that, so it's not an ad hominem

Why do you post bullshit - at least do your research.

"3. Continuance of English language for official purposes of the Union and for use in Parliament

Notwithstanding the expiration of the period of fifteen ears from the commencement of the Constitution, the English language may, as from the appointed day, continue to be used, in addition to Hindi,--

• For all the official purpose of the Union for which it was being used immediately before that day; and
  • For the transaction of business in Parliament."

From Official Language Act | Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology, Government of India

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
Please remove anything to do with Ireland from your profile photo.

Your making me ashamed to hold the passport
Shove it in your ärsehole pocket then. :lol: :lol: :lol:

MsG

MsG
Your a cock

Also you'll find nowadays in India English is actually a second language which is taught in their educational syllabus in most mainstream cities, every college aged legal to shag bird I met in India spoke fluently as well the benders I knew from karaoke

Latest Threads