Partial sight in right eye - will this exclude me?

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by honor_roll_flapjack, Dec 12, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I'm considering joining the TA, but before I even go and look around, I want to know if I'm already dead in the water.

I have limited vision in my right eye. I can see light, colour, and vague shapes, but that is it. When I fire a gun, I sight with my left eye, but my understanding is that the SA80 doesn't allow you to do that.

Am I screwed?
  2. you are in a firefight!
  3. No, the Army loves blind soldiers.
  4. Sorry mate, doesn't sound hopeful, but let us know how you get on.
  5. Your condition sounds exactly the same as that which my father has had since birth although he has the defect in his left eye. It didn't stop him doing his National Service but I suspect you might have problems nowadays. Why not go to the recruiting office and ask for the eyesight standards or to be tested? Nothing ventured and all that!

Difficult to see how you could shoot SA80 though I'm afraid. I don't think the A2 variant has improved matters in terms of firing off the left shoulder.
  6. Because I'm currently sat in my comfy swivel chair and thought I'd ask you lot instead :p

I'll give them a ring.
  7. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

Have you considers AAC in the aircrew role?
  8. Simple answer seems to be yes. I 'phoned my local admin office yesterday, and the guy I spoke to was pretty sure I'd fail the medical, putting aside the issues with the SA80. He's going to check, but I don't expect good news.

ARRSE indeed.
  9. You will fail the medical.

10. Why don't you check out the whole Cadet adult instructor thing?
  11. I've been trying to think of other options as well. As MIB mentioned, there may be options open. Navy / Air Force reserves might be alternatives, not sure what medicals are required for roles in those arms but it's worth looking into.
  12. What about the medic role chaps?
  13. Don't the medics carry rifles for self & patient defence therefore need to be able to shoot if only to scare then opposition
  14. Fair one.

Drummer it is then
  15. Or perhaps a pirate...?