Partial sight in right eye - will this exclude me?

Hi,

I'm considering joining the TA, but before I even go and look around, I want to know if I'm already dead in the water.

I have limited vision in my right eye. I can see light, colour, and vague shapes, but that is it. When I fire a gun, I sight with my left eye, but my understanding is that the SA80 doesn't allow you to do that.

Am I screwed?

you are in a firefight!

honor_roll_flapjack said:
Hi,

I'm considering joining the TA, but before I even go and look around, I want to know if I'm already dead in the water.

I have limited vision in my right eye. I can see light, colour, and vague shapes, but that is it. When I fire a gun, I sight with my left eye, but my understanding is that the SA80 doesn't allow you to do that.

Am I screwed?
Your condition sounds exactly the same as that which my father has had since birth although he has the defect in his left eye. It didn't stop him doing his National Service but I suspect you might have problems nowadays. Why not go to the recruiting office and ask for the eyesight standards or to be tested? Nothing ventured and all that!

Difficult to see how you could shoot SA80 though I'm afraid. I don't think the A2 variant has improved matters in terms of firing off the left shoulder.

EX_STAB said:
Why not go to the recruiting office and ask for the eyesight standards or to be tested? Nothing ventured and all that!
Because I'm currently sat in my comfy swivel chair and thought I'd ask you lot instead :p

I'll give them a ring.

Simple answer seems to be yes. I 'phoned my local admin office yesterday, and the guy I spoke to was pretty sure I'd fail the medical, putting aside the issues with the SA80. He's going to check, but I don't expect good news.

ARRSE indeed.

Why don't you check out the whole Cadet adult instructor thing?

suits_U said:
What about the medic role chaps?
Don't the medics carry rifles for self & patient defence therefore need to be able to shoot if only to scare then opposition

Seek Cyclops post in pantomime.

I know of a current serving soldier with only one eye - he lost the other one in a car accident. Still, it is his left eye and he was already in the TA.

You can only find out by having a medical. Recruiting people and PSAOs have a nasty habbit of telling people they can and can't join for XYZ when it should be left up to the doctor.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, but the admin office did some calling around, and yes, I will definently fail the medical, and it would be the same situation in the naval/airforce reserves as well.

Ho hum.

If you fancy a something along similar lines, there are the Venture Scouts or the Army Cadet Force who both need instructors. It may not be exactly the same, but both organisations offer an interesting sideline to your regular job. You get to do the fun adventure stuff without sitting in a ditch at 3am in winter. The fellas I know who do it find it both rewarding and challenging.

Or, as the guys mention, you go live the life of a swashbuckling corsair, beholden to none and master of all you survey. Once your crew of unabashed rogues is assembled, you shall take to the capacious expanse of the high seas to pursue fortune, fame, and hair-raising adventure.

Your path may not be filled with the porcine comforts and technological marvels that the TA provides, but you shall nonetheless move forward to carve a name for yourselvef in the annals of bold insurgency and death-defying derring-do. Once you have a keen blade at your hip and the Jolly Roger is flapping high above you, I believe you will find a true calling.

I would be interested if the the position of First Officer becomes available. I am more than willing to accept the risk of scurvy and the occasional bout of rickets if a dental plan is included. Just don't ask me to buckle a swash.

Yarrr!