part time work whilst still serving

Can anyone enlighten me as to what the army's regulations are regarding working part-time whilst still serving?

A friend runs a security company and often needs extra staff to work shifts at events during the summer, would I be able to do that if it was just a couple days a year and fit in nicely with leave?

dave86 said:
Can anyone enlighten me as to what the army's regulations are regarding working part-time whilst still serving?

A friend runs a security company and often needs extra staff to work shifts at events during the summer, would I be able to do that if it was just a couple days a year and fit in nicely with leave?
You need the CO's permission. It's in QRs.

If I ever get DII access again this century, I will get the link for you, but I think it depends what type of "security work" you are doing.

The_Snail said:
dave86 said:

You need the CO's permission. It's in QRs.

If I ever get DII access again this century, I will get the link for you, but I think it depends what type of "security work" you are doing.
I had a mate bounced for this a while back-security work of any kind is a no-no when it comes to part-time jobs whilst serving as is special constable and selling insurance (for some bizarre reason).

Ok cheers,

It would mostly consist of doing access control at gates and patrolling sites (and at one particular beer festival trying to finish off as much of the leftover unsold stock as humanly possible)

Would it be easier to get permission if i described it as 'event stewarding' rather than security?

Event stuarding sounds good . Very clever.

But ask your mate about SIA licence - you could find you need one to be legal.

Some of the Regs are for your protection, such as parity of pay with other oiks doing the same job.

Here you go.

QRs

Employment during Leave or Off Duty Hours
J5.078. A member of the regular forces may, with the approval of his commanding officer, accept temporary
employment during normal leave or part-time employment during off duty hours provided that:
J5.076 PERSONAL CONDUCT AND EFFICIENCY PT. 2
Amdt 5/2-12 AC 13206
a. The activity does not involve the use of official time or affect the individual's efficiency as a member
of his Service.
b. The activity does not involve the use of official information.
c. The activity will not bring the Service into disrepute.
d. Service uniform is not worn.
e. Where an individual takes paid employment, he is not paid at a rate lower than that paid to a civilian
in like employment.
f. Where it is known that a trade dispute is in progress, off duty employment with a civilian organisation
affected by the dispute is not to be accepted without the specific permission of the Ministry of
Defence (PS2(A)) or, overseas, of the appropriate superior military authority. Where there is doubt
about the existence of a trade dispute the matter is to be referred to superior authority and, if
necessary, the full circumstances are to be reported to the Ministry of Defence as quickly as possible
with a recommendation as to the course to be followed.
g. Permission must not be given for individuals to undertake employment, whether temporary or part
time, in any of the following fields:
(1) As a retained fireman.
(2) As a member of any constabulary including MOD and Railway Police.
(3) As a security guard in any form (this includes acting as `bouncers' in night-clubs, discotheques
or public houses).

(4) As an insurance agent, or any form of financial agent, except that, with the prior permission of
the commanding officer, Service personnel may accept the position of agent where this
acceptance does not involve selling insurance or giving advice on insurance or financial matters,
but is intended solely to satisfy a professional requirement to enable them during the ensuing 2
years to take up employment in this field on leaving the Service.
h. When an individual is posted to another unit, the new commanding officer's approval to continue off
duty employment is to be obtained.
i. The advice of the Ministry of Defence (PS2 (A)) is to be sought through the chain of command where
there are doubts about the acceptability of any form of off duty employment.
j. In cases involving participation in a commercial advertisement the matter is to be referred to the
Ministry of Defence (PS2 (A)).
k. Commanding officers are to maintain a central record of all approved applications to undertake off
duty employment. The record of an individual's approved application is to be retained for as long as
he remains at the unit.
http://www.army.mod.uk/documents/general/queens_regulations_incl_a27.pdf

Cheers for the link, I guess the words "in any form" mean that its pretty much a no then, regardless of what job title I might try and attach to it.

does anone have a template for the content of a letter req permission to have an off duty job as one of the lads here is making one up and could do with a template?

yeah but if something happened whilst you were working for a civi company with no permission , it will all roll down to you, a majority of the co's are likely to say yes as long as it doesnt and wont interfier with your job