Part-time UDR

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by irlsgt, Jul 2, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What were the terms of service and how did they operate?

• Like Like x 8
  2. And RIR(HS)?

3. See post 2

4. Let me Google that for you http://cain.ulst.ac.uk/proni/1969/proni_CAB-9-G-89-3_1969-nd.pdf

How did they operate? Meh-as a locally raised Internal Security force.

If you mean operationally-well, depends where the unit was raised and HQered: the rural Bns and Coys (certainly in the first few years) were not as hard-pressed as, say, 10 UDR (Belfast City Bn).

• Like Like x 1
  5. In modern times:

What basic training did they do?

What was they annual commitment in terms of training and ops?

Were they paid for everything?

When they went on ops was I presume it was something like 1 week in 3 from 2000-0600?

6. The main difference between the UDR and the HS battalions of the R Irish was that the UDR were locally-engaged troops - both part and full time - outside the main ORBAT, i.e. niether Regular nor Territorial. They were regularised as Home Service battalions when the UDR morphed into the HS element of the R Irish - which was unique, as it comprised elements of full time regulars, part-time TA and both part and full-time HS.

• Like Like x 1
  7. The basic training was much the same duration as the TA. They did 4 (I think) weekends at the battalion and then 2 weeks at Depot R IRISH.

There was an annual minimum commitment training and ops wise but I don't remember what it was as most of them massively exceeded it. To stay legal on the streets they had to pass all the same mandatory annual training as everyone else as well as all the NI specific ops shoots etc.

They were paid one days pay for every 8 hours or more they worked, so they could do 2x 4 hour training nights and it would count as a day. They also got a bounty like the TA provided they had passed all their ITDs, were up to date on the mandatory NI stuff and had completed out of province training or a career course during the year.

I did giggle a bit when I saw what you thought they might have done ops wise. Some of them were deploying every second night from about 1800hrs to 0200hrs and for at least one day over the weekend, every weekend. Not all of them did as much as that but a lot did and almost all of them were holding down a full time job as well. After the second ceasefire they were capped to no more than 15 duties a month each.

The part timers also accounted for about three quarters of those murdered as they were the easiest targets due to be tied to the routines of their civvy jobs.

For all those making comments about UDR by day UVF by night etc I can give you the exact figures for our battalion. In 4 R IRISH (including those from 4 UDR and 6 UDR that made up the battalion) there was exactly one member convicted of a terrorist offence. For the purposes of comparison with other units that would put us on a par with 25 Engr Regt*, a little bit behind the Royal Scots and looong way behind 1 PARA.

* I am pretty sure he was 25 Engr but I just looked it up because I couldn't remember the year and I have just read something that says he was REME. Apologies to the RE if I have it wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  8. when i joined 11udr in 1980 full time udr soldiers did a basic 12 weeks traing in ballykinlar followed by further training days by the batt training staff.full time members could also do further courses in england such as sigs,medical.search etc with rank courses held in ballykinlar

part time members did 1 weeks training with compulsary 1 night training per week and a annual training camp each year

full time members were paid same as regular soldiers and part time members were paid same as regular soldiers when on duty

there were certain restrictions how ever.udr memebers could not engage in riot control but could be on the edge controlling traffic entering the area etc.udr members could not do close ops but could do low level survillance

full time udr soldiers also did border ops when units were in change over and when called on,we did bessbrook,newton hamilton,middletown,forkhill and crossmaglen when i was there

• Like Like x 1
  9. I don't remember being limited to 15 duties,it every bloody night and or day up to 28.The army thought that even when we were not on duty,and getting paid,they still owned us.Pity the buggers didn't house us and pay the rent as well.The U.D.R.was no more corrupt than most regiments,and a lot less corrupt than some,however the press was very good at only giving credence to the side it did and still supports.Can't comment on the R.I.R.except to say Faugh-a-Ballagh!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Only the Part Timers were limited to a maximum of 15 duties and that didn't kick in until after the second ceasefire. Maybe 2000 or thereabouts.

11. That was after my time,had I been limited to 15 I'd have joined the T.A.and earned the pittance a little bit more safely.
    Still,mustn't grumble,had some good times,and some bloody good piss ups!

12. in about 1986-87 we were doing a lot of border ops and had what we called the dole patrol.this was appox 24 part time men and women who were on the dole and did full time duties mainly on guard but who had to still sign on

13. Did those from 77 onward but was fully trained before being trusted,worked in 2,9,10and 11s taors.,and yes it was better being part time,more variety.