Part time RAF plod jailed for fraud

It made me chuckle.

Link

A lorry driver from Northampton who fraudulently claimed £12,500 from the Ministry of Defence has been jailed for 18 months.
Simon Clements, aged 37, a father-of-two of Valley Road, Little Billing, was sent to Iraq to work as a Royal Auxiliary Air Force police officer in October 2006.

Under Ministry of Defence rules, those deployed on active service can claim the difference between their RAF pay and their civilian income.

But Clements along with James Barrett, aged 31 of Love Lane in Iver, Buckinghamshire, exploited the system by claiming for bogus and non-existent jobs that boosted their daily allowances while abroad.

Clements who was a £15,000-a-year lorry driver, submitted paperwork to the MOD that he worked in finance and earned £35,000.

Passing sentence at Luton crown court, Judge Richard Foster told both men they had committed a gross breach of trust.

Barrett was jailed for two years.

Peter Glenser, prosecuting, told the court, a logistics company was formed by Barrett but didn't trade and was created purely for fraud.

Bogus Medals, Uber Walting and now fraud. The Henlow Snowdrops are really getting a good name for themselves. Considering there is only a Squadron of them they seem to have a good vetting a recruitment policy....NOT! :twisted:

"Got a conviction? want one? Join the RAF Police Reserve"

You have to laugh, 2 years for defrauding the government of 15k, yet the people involved in the likes of the QINETIQ, rail network and other government sell offs that defrauded the government of hundreds of millions get huge bonuses and knighhoods :lol:

We'll not mention the ATLAS consortium or GDUK, they've got more MBEs and KBEs than you can shake a stick at :lol:

spaz said:
Baldrick66 said:
Bogus Medals, Uber Walting and now fraud.
Really, what else have they been up to?
Have a search through the site for the half dozen or so threads about them, including one of the muppets meeting HRH with a load of walt bling he'd bought from somewhere :lol:

What he should have done is claimed that he did not "understand" the rules. Seems to work for MP's (Westminster not Monkeys) when they inadvertantly claim tens of thousands of pounds. He would then avoid jail and his "reputation" as honourable would remain intact.

old_n_fat said:
What he should have done is claimed that he did not "understand" the rules. Seems to work for MP's (Westminster not Monkeys) when they inadvertantly claim tens of thousands of pounds. He would then avoid jail and his "reputation" as honourable would remain intact.
I like that, cos it has the ring of truth about it.

Argee2007 said:
You have to laugh, 2 years for defrauding the government of 15k, yet the people involved in the likes of the QINETIQ, rail network and other government sell offs that defrauded the government of hundreds of millions get huge bonuses and knighhoods :lol:

We'll not mention the ATLAS consortium or GDUK, they've got more MBEs and KBEs than you can shake a stick at :lol:
And thats before you talk about C130J, Chinook, JPA all of which would make the £15k look like Monoply money!

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I'm slightly curios: Why did they end up in a civ court, not a Courts Martial? Last time I checked the RAF still had military pretensions.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
BuggerAll said:
I'm slightly curios: Why did they end up in a civ court, not a Courts Martial? Last time I checked the RAF still had military pretensions.
Could it be this maybe the taxman has got involved

spaz said:
Peter Glenser, prosecuting, told the court, a logistics company was formed by Barrett but didn't trade and was created purely for fraud.
[/quote]

The RAF are really hard on fiddling claims a few years ago I remember 2 MT Sqn got hammered for bogus claims right as far as a Wing Co IIRC

Outstanding said:
Argee2007 said:

And thats before you talk about C130J, Chinook, JPA all of which would make the £15k look like Monoply money!
they should have opened a 'John Lewis' account. it would have been accepted then!

What they did was wrong, they should be punished but it really annoys me when guys like this get 2 years for stealing 15k and people in the big business get the same length of sentences for stealing millions, that's if they're not helped into hiding the rip offs so they can walk away before charges are handed out.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Argee2007 said:
What they did was wrong, they should be punished but it really annoys me when guys like this get 2 years for stealing 15k and people in the big business get the same length of sentences for stealing millions, that's if they're not helped into hiding the rip offs so they can walk away before charges are handed out.
Don't forget these 'guys' were policemen. I think they were lucky to get away with 2 years!

Don't forget these 'guys' were policemen. I think they were lucky to get away with 2 years![/quote]

are 'policemen' sposed to get away with it? they're normally the worse offenders!

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Muggle said:
Don't forget these 'guys' were policemen. I think they were lucky to get away with 2 years!
are 'policemen' sposed to get away with it? they're normally the worse offenders![/quote]

Obviously Miltary Police man are different
Civvie plod would have had 4 years on the sick at full pay through 'stress'
Then after being found guilty would have been let off to retire on full pension :wink:

the_boy_syrup said:
Muggle said:
are 'policemen' sposed to get away with it? they're normally the worse offenders!
Obviously Miltary Police man are different
Civvie plod would have had 4 years on the sick at full pay through 'stress'
Then after being found guilty would have been let off to retire on full pension :wink:[/quote]

i'm obviously in the wrong profession! my heart bleeds!

or am i just being totally heartless??

[/quote]Have a search through the site for the half dozen or so threads about them, including one of the muppets meeting HRH with a load of walt bling he'd bought from somewhere :lol:[/quote]

I must be completely thick as I can't find anything (although even if I had, I know I'm still thick!)

The 2 were invesitgated by an outside agency ie MDP, so there is always the otpion when dealing with cross civil/military to go straight for the civ courts. This also gives the prosecution greater punishments at their disposal.

aes69 said:
I must be completely thick as I can't find anything (although even if I had, I know I'm still thick!)

The 2 were invesitgated by an outside agency ie MDP, so there is always the otpion when dealing with cross civil/military to go straight for the civ courts. This also gives the prosecution greater punishments at their disposal.
Glad to here a snow drop admit it :lol:

I must be loosing the plot as well as I can't find the snow drop barrier thread from a couple of years ago either using the new search engine. Nor the posts about the Wing/bling Wearing walt (I assume it's been buried in the all walts thread complete with the pictures) My apologises they are there ....................... SOMEWHERE!

Post Red Penned as required :D

Oops, sorry. Told you I was fick!

Must admit though, not heard about the bogus gongs, pity as someone would really get the 'good news' from several of the lads!