Part Time MPs? Maybe Not For Much Longer

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Call2arms, Jul 24, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Cyclops is considering stopping MPs carrying out anything other than parliamentary work, as well as the US system where politicians can only earn 15% of their wage outside government and a partial ban in which some jobs will be allowed whilst others will be banned.

From the Independent Link
  2. I would like to see this but i suspect its only Cyclops engaging with the common man spin...

If parliment were to implement this idea then i suspect the stampede too get out of the Palace of Westminster would leave it more like the NAAFI on a saturday night after payday.
  3. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Sounds good in principle
    It kind of mirrors getting the workshy of their arrses and back to work
    MP's are so used to the money and lifestyle they have they willl never vote for anything like this
    Be prepared for a lot of "You'll have to treble my wages if I have to give up my second job - afterall I have 6 houses and three mistress's to fund"
  4. As most of the NuLiebor cnuts will be looking for new jobs soon,this will not bother either Cyclops or his arrse licking sycophants.
  5. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

What full of birds in ron hills and white stilleto's trying to get a bit of cokc whilst the old man is on tour? :D
  7. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Quite - another grenade handshake waiting for call-me-dave.

Mind you, I wonder if this is the final death-knell for cyclops - they'll be sure to get rid of him now - if they get rid of him, they can quietly shelve this idea, blame the recession on him (it's his fault after all), and carry on ripping us off.
  8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

An interesting comment in last weeks shooting times about why labour must win the Glasgow By election guaranteeing Broon his job and ensuring that they will be defeated in the upcoming General Election, personally I selected military coup as my choice but I see his point!
  9. If you read the article Biped you would see that less Labour Mps have second jobs than any other of the 'big three'.

Do you think that the Lib Dems or the Tories will be supporting this move if it happens?

10. Am I the only one who thinks this is a bad idea?

60k p/a is not to be sniffed at, but it still won't get you very far living in London. If politicians feel unjustly (and I'm not sure there's more justice in public support of this than there is vengeance) deprived of legal external income then there is no reason why - in tandem with politicians in other countries where secondary incomes are banned - they will not grow corrupt on levels we are not used to in order to sustain an income comparable to others in the nation with similar responsibility.

Certainly, there should be legal restrictions on the number of hours devoted to non-parliamentary work, and to prevent conflicts of interest arising, but there appears very little to recommend such a drastic change as this.

After all, it's being done to 'restore trust'. I see equal or greater mistrust over US officials, so I don't see that this would change anything. A far greater improvement would be to stop forcing us to choose between a confused person in blue, a social worker/teacher/union official with a chip of their shoulder in red, or some sort of lost cause when it comes to elections. The fact of the matter is, we have very few good MPs, and if there were more good ones we'd be less likely to begrudge them a column in The Times or the occasional directorship.
  11. Biped,
    If they got rid of Pa Broon,what is the alternative? The Boy Milliband,Blears,Harman?
    It's a very poor subs bench.
  12. Well a lot of labour MP's are going to be very upset at losing their union sponsorship then, a lot of them are in Parliament as a result of unions paying for their campaigns!
  13. It seems gone is the time that MP's regardless of which side enetered parliment to make a difference, or too serve society.

Second jobs be they, non executive board posistions or union sponsorship be a conflict of interest.

I dont wish to see parliment become just for the rich however it should not be a place to become rich. Yes cutting their money will no doubt make some leave and they are IMHO those we need the least.
  14. Enter the 'loss of potential earnings' compensation allowance, on top of the others allowances? :roll: ( I can almost hear their accountants racking up the 'estimates' now )
  15. Can anyone tell me which Labour MPs have their salary augmented by union sponsorship. I have heard of party sponsorship and sponsorship of election campaigns but never of wage sponsorship.