Part One Orders

Discussion in 'Military Discipline' started by spartan5762, Sep 19, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gents wonder if you can assist,

Long story short we have an absolute oxygen thief that is currently taking the Army to court for his inability to carry out the basic orders given to him. His solicitor has come back to the unit and asked if it is an offence to not read P1 orders where does this direction come from?

Now I believe that I was informed to do so in Phase 1 but being 18 years ago I am not 100%. Any direction or assistance on this would be much appreciated.

And in case you are wondering yes he is after a payout, and the other question you are thinking is yes.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. Part one orders are exactly that, orders. If you fail to do something that is stated on them you can be disciplined.

3. Queens Regulations, Chapter 5:

I suspect the sticking point will be proving that said ratbag soldier has been ordered to read Orders.

• Like Like x 2
    • Show again braincell Show again braincell x 1
  4. Agreed, and it's probably written down in standing orders. However, he/she/it will have been told during basic to read P1Os and that remains extant throughout his career.

5. Many thanks fellas much appreciated.

6. Bit of a sidebar but my CSM on my last tour always instructed us to make sure that we read Part One Orders and Company detail every day. Failure to be in the right place at the right time, in the right dress, as directed in Part One Orders and Company Detail would hurt. Failure to attend Medical appointments was a Chargeable offense and would be so dealt with.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Outstanding work that man! I wish I'd known this last year when trying to ensure every bugger would at least attempt the PFT. Funny how our resident expert (no names, no pack drills) couldn't link Part 1s to QRs. As for 'proving that said ratbag soldier has been ordered to read Orders', ignorantia legis neminem excusat.
    I rest my case.

8. Well you've had your answer by the resident Arrse experts on Queens Regs & Military Law.

What worries me is, why do you need assistance with this, from the internet.

Are you by any chance his CO/OC/CSM?

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. I would have thought the adjt would have this squared away so I'm thinking it's prob his dad or solicitor.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Not solicitor or dad but needed the answer quickly for a civvie discipline clerk. 100 things happening at once so didn't have time to go looking for the answer, it was more a when do they get told rather than where to highlight that they have to read it.

Once again many thanks

11. He has no defence, it is his duty to do so as highlighted.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Have they recently invented a new form of court? Employment disputes are settled in Employment Tribunals - unless the case is related to sexual or racial discrimination, then the ET route is not open.

Do you have a med centre near you?

13. Agreed, but the point I was trying to make is that it is diffcult to prove he was told about this provision in Queens Regulations during his training.

I had a similar situation with a soldier recently, a solicitor argued that the Army could not prove that a soldier had been told he had to read Daily Detail and as a result each new soldier now has to sign on his Induction Package/WiP that he would read Detail every day.

14. I'm sure we have a Repeat Order published quarterly on Part One Orders informing the reader of said Part One Orders, that it is an order to read Part One Orders.

15. I'm fairly sure ignorance of the law is not an excuse.