Parmesan

Strangly I miss the stuff that you used to get in a cardboard tube decorated in the colours of the Italian flag.
Now that stuff used to really smell of vomit and tasted like it to.
You just cannot get it anymore.
One of the tastes from my childhood.
Yes it had the plastic top. You had to push in an indented bit to open it and it always fell into the cheese. It was good as a standby as it had a long shelf life. I've not seen it for a while. I'm guessing that it fell foul of some EU PDO or PGI regulation.

Yes it had the plastic top. You had to push in an indented bit to open it and it always fell into the cheese. It was good as a standby as it had a long shelf life. I've not seen it for a while. I'm guessing that it fell foul of some EU PDO or PGI regulation.
You could choose the option of small sprinkles, or the big open hole.
Neither of which worked if it had been in the cupboard for a while.

I bought some last week from Morrison’s, labelled as “Grated Italian Style Cheese” it’s the same thing only re-named I’m guessing as it used to break EU regs under the “Protected Designation of Origin” rules much as Stilton Cheese, Melton Mowbray Pork Pies, Camembert and Champagne are covered.

Decades ago I was in Spain, and found some anchovy stuffed olives to die for.
The Eu banned them, as they were made on the dockside by some fishermens wives in stincking hot sunshine.
Somehow the Eu law was reversed, as I can now get a reasonable approximation In my local supermarket.
Made at the same port..

Last edited:
I bought some last week from Morrison’s, labelled as “Grated Italian Style Cheese” it’s the same thing only re-named I’m guessing as it used to break EU regs under the “Protected Designation of Origin” rules much as Stilton Cheese, Melton Mowbray Pork Pies, Camembert and Champagne are covered.
They don't do it in my local Morrisons.
Unless i am looking in the wrong places.

Strangly I miss the stuff that you used to get in a cardboard tube decorated in the colours of the Italian flag.
Now that stuff used to really smell of vomit and tasted like it to.
You just cannot get it anymore.
One of the tastes from my childhood.
Morrisons and Asda still sell it. The Asda stuff is better.

The Eu banned them, as they were made on the dockside by some fishermens wives in stincking hot sunshine.
Somehow the Eu law was reversed, as I can now get a reasonable approximation In my local supermarket.
Made at the same port..
Lidl do them occasionally. Fabulous snack

I think the same thing happened to Bombay Duck, which was a dried fish appetiser once popular (God knows why) in Indian restaurants. The fish was dried on Bengali docksides in amongst all the sh1t and with pariah dogs cocking their legs over it. Which is exactly how it tasted.

Grana Padano is better and finding the little hits of salt crystals in it as you scoff is a bonus.

You could choose the option of small sprinkles, or the big open hole.
Neither of which worked if it had been in the cupboard for a while.
That is because the saw dust absorbs moisture from the atmosphere...

The ready-grated stuff smells of dogs' piss. The Eyeties use the rind for grating over ragu ('mato sauce to us plebs) and eat the inner part as a dessert. I grate the inside of the rind (or crust to those of us on a higher plane) but chop up the outer and use it as dog treats.

Made at the same port..
LOL I was looking at that in Tesco yesterday, it looked disgusting - labelled as Anti-Pastis

Grana Padano is better and finding the little hits of salt crystals in it as you scoff is a bonus.
And it’s cheaper than Parmigiano.
For those saying it smells like puke, that’s because the starter culture is essentially the same as that found in your stomach, which makes puke smell like , well, puke.

We do use Parmesan which we get from the supermarkets. Mainly, though, we get the Grana Padano because it's cheaper and I can't really tell the difference.

However, on a Med cruise last year the ship docked at Livorno for Pisa and Florence. As we'd been to Pisa twice and Florence several times, we decided just to have a walk round Livorno.

It was market day and we bought a kilo of Parmesan Reggiano from a stall selling fresh cheeses.
It was a revelation and, unlike the stuff we get in the supermarkets, could actually be eaten as cheese (though very thin) and we had grated and shaved parmesan (great on salads) for ages.

You could choose how mature you wanted the cheese and you could get it from 6 months to 3 years plus aged. I think we got a kg of 24 months aged for about 13 euro the kilo.
Totally unlike the shrink wrapped stuff they flog in the supermarkets.

And ref the olives stuffed with anchovies being banned by the EU. Not sure of that as we can just go down to the docks here and buy them off a stall by the bucket load. Great if they haven't been so salted as to make them so you can only taste the salt.
Much prefer boquerones which are anchovies that have been pickled in vinegar rather than anchoas which are anchovies that are layered in salt.
A couple of bits of shaved parmesan over the boquerones goes down a treat.

An extract from Samuel Pepys diary, dated Tuesday 4 September 1666, at the time of the Great Fire of London. It goes as follows:

Up by break of day to get away the remainder of my things; which I did by a lighter at the Iron gate and my hands so few, that it was the afternoon before we could get them all away. Sir W. Pen and I to Tower- streete, and there met the fire burning three or four doors beyond Mr. Howell’s, whose goods, poor man, his trayes, and dishes, shovells, &c., were flung all along Tower-street in the kennels, and people working therewith from one end to the other; the fire coming on in that narrow streete, on both sides, with infinite fury. Sir W. Batten not knowing how to remove his wine, did dig a pit in the garden, and laid it in there; and I took the opportunity of laying all the papers of my office that I could not otherwise dispose of. And in the evening Sir W. Pen and I did dig another, and put our wine in it; and I my Parmazan cheese, as well as my wine and some other things.

He obviously prized his Parmesan cheese so highly as to bury it away, safe from the ravages of the advancing conflagration. He probably bought in Waitrose where it's even more expensive than usual.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
RRFHASBEEN Cookery 1

Latest Threads