Parmesan

Is the rind on Parmesan cheese useable? In other words is it proper cheese, or is it candle wax or something best left alone?

I've always chucked it.

It's part of the cheese, not wax. Tastes like Parmesan but pretty inedible by itself due to the texture.
Ideal for adding to food and sauces whilst cooking as the flavour is still there.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Finely grate and add to sauces.

A mates Russian bride saves it all along with whatever cured sausage ends they have in the freezer then make a very nice dishwater soup at the end of the month.

nice dishwater soup
Hmm, that puts me in mind of what was left in the bucket after an entire company had used the communal string dish mop to clean their mess tins on range days,

It probably would have been more hygienic simply to crap in them.

Hmm, that puts me in mind of what was left in the bucket after an entire company had used the communal string dish mop to clean their mess tins on range days,

It probably would have been more hygienic simply to crap in them.
He doesn’t ask, and it’s simply easier to say it was fantastic. They live in Salisbury.

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
I have lost so many finger tips trying to grate parmesan rind I just bin it.

Nuke it. Softens and cooks out the oil in a few seconds. Chuck on top of your slice of toast with Marmite.

Over rated as a cheese I think.
Used as a run of the mill cheese, it isn't much cop. I'm not that fond of it when it's used raw on salads etc. However, used sparingly in cooking it certainly adds 'umami'. Pecorino and Romano are also good. There are some non-specific 'Italian hard cheese' substitutes that do much the same job and are cheaper.

I reckon if you can identify parmesan in a dish, you've probably overdone it. A bit like anchovies in that respect.

Anyone had one of those northern chav things called a chicken parmo? Apparently, there's about 6 days calories for a manual labourer per serving and it rarely, if ever, contains the merest hint of parmesan cheese.

A doner kebab sounds to be a healthy alternative.

O Zangado

War Hero
Listen here, you wastrel, millennial poofter with one eye always on the 'best before' date, Parmesan is the cheese of Gods and which, despite the small print, will still be pulsating in the back of your fridge when Novichok has become a lollipop flavouring and you can warm your hands on enriched uranium. Save your delicate fingertips from the grater and just melt the crusts into a straightforward bechamel sauce for that 'full on' cheesy flavour or add it to your French onion soup to take away the taste of French onion soup, or, as @Lardbeast suggests, nuke it and make cheesy croutons (or 'islands' if you are hopelessly mired in the ghey) for any winter soup, broth, or casserole.

Hope this helps.

OZ

Strangly I miss the stuff that you used to get in a cardboard tube decorated in the colours of the Italian flag.
Now that stuff used to really smell of vomit and tasted like it to.
You just cannot get it anymore.
One of the tastes from my childhood.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
RRFHASBEEN Cookery 1

Latest Threads