Parliamentary report: Russia - a new confrontation?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by KGB_resident, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Absolutely

2. Mainly

3. Rather yes

4. Only partially

0 vote(s)
  5. Rather no

0 vote(s)
  6. No

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

It is a very interesting phrase.

And how Russia should regard such a military activity near its borders?

Edited to add a quote from the report

2. mercurydancer

mercurydancer LE Book Reviewer

Our government is capable of speaking total tosh almost all of the time. I wouldnt worry about the Bears flying into our airspece. We understand its a navigational error thingy and all a big misunderstanding.
  3. Mate, some expressions in the report look funny.

So, maybe from point of view of the authors of the report Russia should seek permission for the flights?
  4. Also, let's recall Obama's speech on US-Russia relations

So pres.Obama expresses the approach to the foreign policy based on the values. Let's compare it with what the Rt Hon James Arbuthnot MP, Chairman of the Defence Committee, said:

It is a big question was pres.Obama sincere or not. But rm.Arbuthnot could say that British policy should be based on unversal values as well (btw, what are his expenses?).
  5. Again?

Russia is aggressive. It's actions are aggressive. It gives idiots the ability to shoot down planes carrying innocent people. It invades, destabilizes and manipulates sovereign countries.

Can this thread be locked please?

And KGB given a shot across his bows.
  6. Eh? The last post was 6 1/2 years ago, fer Crissakes!
  7. Sadurian

Sadurian LE Book Reviewer

Just goes to show how prescient our government was back then.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. I saw that after as well... :(

But still.

Lock the thread!
  9. Of course it is up to MODs to decide to lock this thread or not but there is the poll with very actual question.
    Also, I would be interesting to know opinions of ARRSErs - should British policy be founded on universal values or not?
  10. Sergey, Sergey, Sergey. When will you get it? 'Universal values' is a synonym for 'our lot get to win all the time.'

There is no need for every country to universally agree with or consent to them. We just need to have a bigger stick to wield to quieten down any dissenting voices.
  11. Of course, you see that my question cum grano salis is a pure irony.
    No one here has written something like
    British external policy should be founded on universal values - respect for human rights, for the international law. British policy should be fair, transpaterent, human, independent and reflect will of the British people.
    Why? Beacause real life sometimes is not ideal and politicians have own agenda frequently unconnected to any values (except money of course).
  12. [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1