Parliamentary E-petitions

Ohh a second thread on the same subject. Means I can quote myself

What a total waste of time

"The UK may no longer legislate to restore the death penalty while it is subject to the Convention. It can only now restore it if it withdraws from the Council of Europe."

So petitions for capital punishment are pointless and only a brain dead marmoset would bother putting their name to it.

Ohh a second thread on the same subject. Means I can quote myself
Well one of the other petitions is withdrawing from ECHR.

None of this will ever be debated, and votes in the commons are not binding.

Apparently if we can generate 100,000 signatures it will be put to debate

BBC News - E-petitions urge MPs debate return of death penalty

Edited to add: I know the link is related to the death penalty but I was hoping to ask for thoughts surrounding HM forces and whether it was worthwhile

We've got 3-4 times that many in the ARSSE community

What would be your top topics??

Lets give it a go!!!!

PoGs

PocketComms - Language First Aid at your Fingertips
Are you seriously suggesting there are 3-400,000 users in the ARRSE community? I doubt that figure (unless I have completely mis-understood you).

Edited to add: I know the link is related to the death penalty but I was hoping to ask for thoughts surrounding HM forces and whether it was worthwhile

Lets give it a go!!!!

PoGs

Didn't you already say that?

Lets give it a go!!!!

PoGs

Whats the ****ing point?

The UK CAN NOT legislate to restore the death penalty until we withdraw from the EHCR.

So even if 10 million people sign up and all the politicians have a nice all expenses paid gabfest about it they will still be exactly as far off bringing it back as they are now.

Completely pointless exercise designed to make the lumpen mass think they are making a difference.

The UK CAN NOT legislate to restore the death penalty until we withdraw from the EHCR.
Not strictly true. It could be legislated and the ECHR would have to make a declaration of incompatibility, which would put the ball back in Parliament's court to revoke the legislation.

ECHR has no method of enforcement. If you don't obey it, troops aren't going to start landing on the beachers. It is obeyed only by those who choose to obey it.

Are you seriously suggesting there are 3-400,000 users in the ARRSE community? I doubt that figure (unless I have completely mis-understood you).
We have a rapidly diminishing HM forces admittedly

However we still have a massive community of ex servicemen and women and their wives, husbands, and kids around the world many of which subscribe to ARRSE.......... lets also not forget potential recruits and sympathetic supporters

This not just about ARRSE we should factor in other sympathetic web communities too

PoGs

We have a rapidly diminishing HM forces admittedly

However we still have a massive community of ex servicemen and women and their wives, husbands, and kids around the world many of which subscribe to ARRSE.......... lets also not forget potential recruits and sympathetic supporters

This not just about ARRSE we should factor in other sympathetic web communities too

PoGs

Thanks for the clarification - "other sympathetic web communities too". I still think you are over-egging it though. :)

Thanks for the clarification - "other sympathetic web communities too". I still think you are over-egging it though. :)
About 65982 members on ARRSE, but a fair percentage of those post rarely and an even greater percentage have never posted at all. Even factoring in other web communities, I reckon we'd struggle to get 100,000 votes down.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
You are also presuming that all members of Arrse will vote the same way.

Just a quick roll call of current posters, me - Cuddles - Brandy Soured - AK - Delta Dog - lsquared - Sunnoficarus - Whet - Brighton Hippy etc will show that this is not the case.

What would you petition for?

"We the undersigned request that the Government stop being beastly to the Armed Forces" isn't going to make much headway.

What's the issue in other words?

As far as the death penalty goes, if it gets as far as the house and a vote. Ayes:- The DUP member for Ballyshuckmagullion West, Nays:- Everyone else present/awake.

Directly followed by a debate on how they can start ignoring bloody stupid petitions.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
well if a 100k people keep signing up for various quit the EU petitions so its brought up once a week someone might get the message.

now how about petition to make prostate massage available on the nhs - and I dont mean freebies off jarrod!

Latest Threads