Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Darthspud, Sep 4, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just had a thought, wondered if anyone knew the answer
    Can a serving soldier,commissioned or not, sit as an MP?
    I know some former officers are now MP's or in the Lords .
  2. There are at least two sitting MPs I can think of who are currently serving as TA officers who have been on TELIC tours.

I'm pretty sure a regular officer would have to resign his commission if he stood for Parliament though.

3. Reason for asking,DOES the Army/Armed Forces need a vocal element in the place.
    Might be an idea to stop all these closures/amalgamations/de-commissionings. After all, who else gets the country out of the smelly brown stuff?(Fire strikes, foot& mouth etc)
    Mainly as we don't seem to be able to rely on senior officers to adequately fight the corner.
  4. The Electoral Commission

5. I note that it does not exclude the insane !
  6. It does, but I didn't extend the quote far enough:

7. An idea I had around the time of the general election, a propos all the usual problems of service personnel not registering to vote in time, was the prospect of a couple of Forces' seats. There's a precedent for this (in a way - the University seats for Oxford and Cambidge, although I think Oxbridge alumni could still vote in their local seat, as well as for their university seat). It would ensure that there were a couple of MPs who were on our side, although it would be slightly invidious... Thoughts?
  8. ah DB I stand corrected. Similar rules for entering a contract then ?. Although it does seem that there are a few loonys in parliament, maybe they become detached from reality sometime after being elected.
  9. Indeed DEEFER! Who decides when
  10. We already have politicians to 'represent' us in Parliament: all those tossers with responsibility at MoD. The problem is how do we stop them from dropping their pants, bending over and being butt-fcuked by Fat Gordon at every budget (while saying 'more please Big Man!')? Gordon Brown, possibly one of the most devious and dishonest fat shiites to inhabit No11 Downing Street has had the common sense NEVER to visit an Army base. He has visited one RNR base in his constituency (once). This is lefty who hates the Forces, and who's main aim is making every Subject in Britain (less of the 'citizen' shiite please) dependent on state handouts (thus trying to ensure the Tories never get elected). He hates people who can stand on their own and stand above the chav scum lowest-denominator.

One possible answer is this: every time Reid or one of his minor functionaries visits you on exercise, in camp, etc; make sure you trap the little fcukers fingers in a turret hatch or something. Apologise with: 'if we had the funding there is a new version of this that prevents this happening'. It might give the invertebrates a bit of spine before the next budget.

Dread , your post edited . PTP
  11. Get off that fence now, Dread, and tell us EXACTLY what you mean... :wink:
  12. Well Sir Humphrey states that, if its Labour, then its 40 grubby men in overalls who select the candidate. If it Liberal, then its 40 women in silly hats who select the prospective MP. Theres not much choice really. I really would have liked to see Lord Sutch get a crack at it. He could not do worse than what you have today!. Alas, Vale, Lord Sutch. He was a loony but what a great loony he was !. Then there is the first past the post voting system.......................................
  13. To add to previous answers, this is from Part 14 of QRs for the Army:

14. Had Peter Bottomley, member of the Defence select committee, with our Coy HQ on an OBUA ex three years ago. He had no idea what an antequated piece of crap the PRC351 is. Promised to ask questions re Bowman and kept that promise.
  15. Fair enough D Bint,

Currently in Pristina on a Sunday. Nothing to do except drink copious amount of vino and vent my spleen. Only been one drive-by shooting this morning :) . I would respect politicians more if they had the courage to visit the Forces more often, especially when you look at what HMF have done for our 'Dear Leader' since '97. Thanks to him I have seen over 400 corpses in various states of decay and been put in harm's way on 3 occasions (and I was lucky: I never had a soldier killed on Ops, though one of my fellow Capts did).

Could be worse: I could be in Iraq (I refuse to call it the sandpit as I have not earned the right to do this by leaving the Gunners on the day of 9/11), or I could be working for a company that tests for alcohol dependency:)

Top marks to Peter Bottomley for keeping his word. Hang on... he is a Tory. Funny breed the Tories: when caught with finger in the till (or woman or young boy) they resign. Labour scum lie and do everything to hang on there for a few more paychecks extra (just like a certain Labour Lord in Haggis Land).

Edited again Dread. The person you named was investigated and nothing proven. Yes I know , but there are parliamentarians and those who work directly for MP's reading this means. Let's not have any unneccessary attention please?