Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parliament- what is it's function?

Speaker Hoyle defended the Labour Position ( in respect of a point of order) that Parliament should be the first to know in respect of new anti covid Policies, before the MSM, so that matters could be discussed. Given that the rules currently are that the Health authorities ( unelected) have the lead in response to the pandemic and that PMBJ has to follow the advice of Sage before making such an announcement and given that such publications are normally distributed through party leaderships in any event. Is this correct?

Surely the Government as executive has the power to proceed in the best way using MSM as necessary without referring to Parliament first ( they have to inform Parliament as to their actions later) but is a ratification of Government actions prior to action a pre requisite. It appears to me to be a first step in Parliament attempting to Govern which I understand would be unconstitutional.

To make it's members rich, and in some cases, stinking rich?.

Is that correct - I thought they were an advisory body?
I'm not sure if it's a legal responsibility, or if it's implied by the legislation that give the PH entities lead in these circumstances. But I think the issue for me lies with the determination that Parliament must be told of decisions before anyone else. The usual process is for the cabinet ministers and devolve to the relevant ministries, but that statements can be made to the house as necessary and they then can then question the actions. It is not for the commons to dictate to the sitting Government what they can or cannot do before they make that decision. That would be a wholesale change to a Parliamentary Government. It's not even the same as a coalition if that's what labour are angling for

The business of Parliamentarians seems to be to get away as often as possible.

When they are away, they pretend they want to get back.

I really don't know what they've got to offer in the current situation, other than muddying the waters and blaming Cummings grrr

The problem with Parliament is that there are too many careerists looking for positions of influence and what they can personally get out of it rather than people who do genuinely want to do good both for their electors and the country as a whole.

That’s a problem in all the mainstream parties to a significant degree but the tories have particular form for it.

Just trawl through the news this year of the fortunes being made from COVID-19 by associates of Conservative MP’s, Lord’s, government ministers and even government advisors with links into the various shakers and movers.

The problem with Parliament is that there are too many careerists looking for positions of influence and what they can personally get out of it rather than people who do genuinely want to do good both for their electors and the country as a whole.

That’s a problem in all the mainstream parties to a significant degree but the tories have particular form for it.

Just trawl through the news this year of the fortunes being made from COVID-19 by associates of Conservative MP’s, Lord’s, government ministers and even government advisors with links into the various shakers and movers.
Always being the same in crisis, come on we have to think historically. It's amazing how many MP's "mates from the pub, school, golf course" rapidly have a miracle solution to this that and the other. It's not the connections or old school tie bit that annoys people it is the outright profiteering. If you turned round and said, oh yeah old Billy from college was really good at chemistry and biology and says he will help out for **** all, nobody would care but when Billy puts his remit in for ££££££ and then I say ok buddy, I will get it passed for 5% into RM Holdings, that's when it becomes an issue.

I was once asked by A BBC political reporter, Mr Patrick Burns, many years ago when the expense scandal surfaced, what i thought of the currant crop of MP's,
" I Wouldn't piss in their mouths if their teeth were on fire" Now, many years later i have no reason to change my opinion of the present bunch of oxygen thieves.

Last edited:

Latest Threads