Parkrun -Sophie's Tale

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
For anyone who hates running :

Link
parkrun UK

Many of you will be familiar with the now-iconic photo of 13 ordinary people standing in a car park in Bushy Park in 2004, about to embark on the very first parkrun. Of course we all have Paul Sinton-Hewitt to thank for this truly life-changing concept, but for me it’s one of the pioneers in that photo who deserves the credit for starting my own parkrun journey – Karen Weir.

When Karen began training me for my first marathon in 2012 she insisted that I come along to Richmond parkrun. I must admit I was a little apprehensive at first, but the atmosphere was incredibly welcoming and within a few weeks I had met lots of different people. Before long I was introduced to some members of a local running group who have been meeting on Sundays at the same place for 30 years, and four years later I still do many of my long runs with them.

It’s a far cry from my early thirties when I hadn’t done much exercise since my teens and was trying to get into running. Just doing two or three miles was exhausting and I hated it. But after my first two children came along I set myself the goal of completing the Great North Run, and before long I was running with two kids in a buggy and starting to really enjoy it. I haven’t looked back and I am now running more than ever, with my sights firmly set on earning my 100 club shirt later this year.

With three children under the age of 11 and news bulletins and filming to work around, I literally sit down each week and plan my training. This often means running to work or sneaking away for an hour to squeeze a run in. I’m currently training for another London Marathon and my aim is to get four sessions in each week, as well as throwing in a parkrun when I can.

I love that I can do parkun with my children and I’m proud that they all have their 10 club shirts. When I was at school, girls weren’t really encouraged to play sport so I’m delighted that my kids play loads of sport and enjoy it. Sport is great for self-confidence, and communities such as parkrun set a great example for young people.

parkrun has had a profound influence on my life. Many of the people who inspire me, and most of the people who I run with, I have met through parkrun. People such as Jacquie Millet, who didn’t run until she had a health scare in her late fifties. Jacquie has now run 95 marathons in five years and is aiming to complete her 100th this spring.

I’ve introduced loads of people to parkrun, from teachers at my children's school to a friend who started out by running and walking between alternate lampposts. She progressed to parkrun and has now completed six marathons. On New Year’s Day I even dragged my brother-in-law to a muddy Plymvalley parkrun. By his own admission he had never run 5k in his life, but he enjoyed it so much that not long after we finished he was looking for the closest parkrun to where he lives.

I know as well as anyone that we live in a world where news and information comes at us from all directions 24 hours a day. Running gives me the freedom to put my phone away and have some space and time to myself, to sort through my thoughts or think of nothing. Last week I was running hill reps in Richmond Park in the pouring rain, soaked to the bone and covered in mud. I laughed out loud and briefly wondered if I had lost the plot! The reality is though that this is just another reason why I run – to drive myself on, to challenge myself and to be the best that I can be. I really would be lost without it.

Happy running,

Sophie Raworth

? It's a story about a woman who likes running. What's the point of it?

JoeCivvie

ADC
RIP
An old school friend of mine does the Middlesbrough one around Albert Park. It's also a big social event every Saturday morning.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Offendi
That post is the Interweb equivalent of
" You lookin' at my pint?'

Yes

Offendi
That post is the Interweb equivalent of
" You lookin' at my pint?'

Yes

Your post or mine? I'm genuinely baffled. I used to do parkrun in UK. twas all right. There's one in Derry but I can't get there from here and I think it's only UK. the Irish don't go in for training in the park for some reason.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Fair enough, here you go:
https://m.facebook.com/parkrunEire/

results | parkrun Ireland

sophie-raworth-0018.jpg

That Sophie ;)

Last edited:

BarcelonaAnalPark

LE
Book Reviewer
Park Run is excellent. I recommend it to anyone who is awake at that time.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
So is Goatman actually Sophie Raworth? Wow. Who'd have a thunk it. Some proper girls on Arrse at last.
Only after 4pm on a Friday (Anyway I've got better legs.)

....and if you can't beat my old red faced goat's time on Sat'day past ...well...for shame !

Last edited:

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Get your black daps on Gimp - and your nipples too can resemble chapel hat pegs....

walrusboy

War Hero
Park Run is excellent. I recommend it to anyone who is awake at that time.
There is a park run very close to me. However there is also a cafe in the park that does big lad's toast and a bucket of tea for two quid. I enjoy the freedom parkcafe gives me in eating toast whilst observing innumerable lycra violations on a Saturday morning. It's an inspiration.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Services no longer required - if you prefer to think of Ar Sophe as a bloke ,well hey? who are we to judge you ?

Walrus - aye, the limber Lycra clad hottie's are the only reason I'm still lumbering round.

Mind you, if your local Parkrun is in Seaham..

Why are British girls so fat?

fatstatue_2674398c.jpg

Last edited:

Dark_Nit

LE
Book Reviewer
If I could run fast enough to catch Sophie Raworth I'd be out tomorrow.
Bruce+Willis+arrives+premiere+Good+Day+Die+T44f4J3EXNyl.jpg

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
For the poster from Norn Iron

Cng34MZWYAAiWIE.jpg

Parkrun at Portrush apparently.

BarcelonaAnalPark

LE
Book Reviewer
After having been previously a fan of Park Run, I've been convinced by the anti-Park Runners on this site.

Free exercise is killing local parks. Ban it.

For the poster from Norn Iron

Cng34MZWYAAiWIE.jpg

Parkrun at Portrush apparently.
Maybe parkrun should get some funding to the park to help deal with that flooding, or is he running on a beach and it doesn't really matter if they aren't allowed to use some places if they are asked to contribute and don't want to pay

This should be the right place:
Sophie Raworth - tick
Running - tick

I've just been listening to the delectable Sophie describing her participation in this year's Marathon Des Sables.
Hats off to the gal, is what I say.
My B-i-L, then a Sapper half-Colonel, ran it in 2002 raising funds for Alzheimer's research.

Latest Threads