Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parking tickets

You can challenge the ticket after payment but will get nowhere. You've paid, they won't refund. You should have refused to pay and then appealed and would no doubt get the 'on this occasion' letter.
Fully concur... Sympathy once you've paid, but you will not get a refund.
If you're a Blue Badge Holder you're able to wait for up to 3 hours on double or single yellow lines, so you should have told them to stuff it.

Usually I wouldn't contest a ticket because if I do get one its because I have parked wrongly, but this time if I hadn't stopped I could of had an accident
ALWAYS, always contest a parking ticket - especially if you're a Blue Badge Holder (and post something on here as plenty on here able to help out and advise)

Surely with a disabled badge you can park on double yellows so long as you aren't contravening other traffic law e.g. near a junction, brow of hill etc.
If a Blue Badge disabled parks on double yellows near a junction only the police can deal with it (for the first three hours) and they'll only deal with it if it's causing a serious problem.

DieHard

LE
Book Reviewer
You can challenge the ticket after payment but will get nowhere. You've paid, they won't refund. You should have refused to pay and then appealed and would no doubt get the 'on this occasion' letter.
Fully concur... Sympathy once you've paid, but you will not get a refund.
If you're a Blue Badge Holder you're able to wait for up to 3 hours on double or single yellow lines, so you should have told them to stuff it.

Usually I wouldn't contest a ticket because if I do get one its because I have parked wrongly, but this time if I hadn't stopped I could of had an accident
ALWAYS, always contest a parking ticket - especially if you're a Blue Badge Holder (and post something on here as plenty on here able to help out and advise)

Surely with a disabled badge you can park on double yellows so long as you aren't contravening other traffic law e.g. near a junction, brow of hill etc.
If a Blue Badge disabled parks on double yellows near a junction only the police can deal with it (for the first three hours) and they'll only deal with it if it's causing a serious problem.
A lesson learnt.
I have only had a blue badge for 3 weeks and should of read tjd usage guide I got with it.
I just checked the charge notice and it says if I wish to contest the notice or any monies paid, and the process to appeal so that's what I will try.
At least its not the whole£75

I was ticketed about two years ago by a nob with a camera for stopping for 10 seconds to let someone out on double yellows near a train station.
It counts as 'waiting and parking' so you can be ticketed while still in the car
https://www.gov.uk/waiting-and-parking/waiting-and-parking-238
Not true (As long as it was JUST double yellows rather than a loading ban also being in place - denoted by having signs and yellow 'blips' on the kerbs)

All parking restrictions are enforced through the legal Traffic Regulation Orders normally made by the local highway authorities and these provide exemptions. A standard exemption used within the legal jargon on all these Orders allows you to stop "for so long as may be necessary to enable:-
(a) a person to board or alight from the vehicle;
(b) goods to be loaded on to or unloaded from the vehicle;

So if you're stopping to pick someone up, or drop them off, you can take as long as you need That also means you can stop and get their shopping in the boot, shift seats around etc..

And always remember if you get no joy from the Council (and you think you have a case) to take it to the Traffic Penalty Tribunal

E

exmunkey

Having recently got a blue badge for my mum and can only speak for London

Every borough has different legislation covering blue badges. In no boroughs can you park on a double yellow using the badge and even with single line you may get a ticket depending on the kerb markings.

As someone has already said you should always contest if you think it was wrong and you will still get the discount after they rule. I've found a nicely worded letter has worked wonders even before the blue badge just depends on the council, did I mention I wouldn't even give Camden the gift of me shitting on them

Also as said I don't think they will do a refund after you have paid but you have nothing to lose, good luck

phoenix04

Old-Salt
Make sure your driving licence is correct first ie have you informed DVLA of your disability and got a new licence.
See here for list of conditions,
[B]https://www.gov.uk/health-conditions-and-driving[/B]

https://www.gov.uk/browse/driving/disability-health-condition

According to this list every driver should be filling in the advised form and advising them that they have a normal part of the human body. In short ,the brachial plexus is a load of nerve fibers that run into the arm and fingers via the neck.

Quick answer
Brachial plexus and driving

You must tell DVLA if you have brachial plexus.

M

Mr_Tigger

Not true (As long as it was JUST double yellows rather than a loading ban also being in place - denoted by having signs and yellow 'blips' on the kerbs)

All parking restrictions are enforced through the legal Traffic Regulation Orders normally made by the local highway authorities and these provide exemptions. A standard exemption used within the legal jargon on all these Orders allows you to stop "for so long as may be necessary to enable:-

So if you're stopping to pick someone up, or drop them off, you can take as long as you need That also means you can stop and get their shopping in the boot, shift seats around etc..

And always remember if you get no joy from the Council (and you think you have a case) to take it to the Traffic Penalty Tribunal

Thank you very much.

E

exmunkey

/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by sportbilly42 /images/buttons/viewpost-right.png

I stand to be corrected but singles will afford you that doubles are no waiting or loading, its been a while since I was playing with traffic, just didn't want someone arguing the toss on the advice given and ending up in shit street

DieHard

LE
Book Reviewer
Thanks for your help everyone, I know its different in other areas so I will let you all know what happens.
On another occasion I saw a police women getting a kicking one day so stopped and helped her wrap up this scum, 2 other cops joined in and I got his legs into a lock so he couldn't kick out and also squeezed his balls hard so they could cuff him.
While this was going on a warden gave me a ticket, the police asked him to scrap it but he said no I had to appeal, the cops gave me all their details to help me but one, a traffic cop, went to the wardens vehicle and found 6 faults all with 3 points each and told me he would make sure they went through

I stand to be corrected but singles will afford you that. Doubles are no waiting or loading, its been a while since I was playing with traffic, just didn't want someone arguing the toss on the advice given and ending up in shit street
Stand and be corrected then exmunkey ...(quite a while since you played with traffic I take it?)
For my sins I'm a traffic engineer with the council. Double yellow lines have nothing to do with loading restrictions. They just prohibit you from 'waiting at any time'

E

exmunkey

I think I did include "no waiting" in the inclusion, no loading was there just as a belt and braces. Just wanted anyone from getting into grief from misinformation from barrack room lawyers

Good call. Like I said in my post, 6 to date and never paid one through appeal. Although with private parking tickets I have written an 'intention not to pay' letter rather than appeal ... because they are a bunch of robbing twats with no legal jurisdiction.

As an aside in Scotland there is no three hour limit on the Blue Badge ... park as long as you want/need.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
According to this list every driver should be filling in the advised form and advising them that they have a normal part of the human body. In short ,the brachial plexus is a load of nerve fibers that run into the arm and fingers via the neck.

Quick answer
Brachial plexus and driving

You must tell DVLA if you have brachial plexus.
?

Contest, contest, contest! While yours wasn't strictly a blue badge type incident, we've successfully contested two 'Blue Badge' parking tickets. First time we were legally parked (Mrs CC has a BB and is a full time wheelchair user), and the cheeky fecking traffic warden had sneakily photographed our (totally legally parked in a public road disabled bay) car in such a way that the BB was hidden by windscreen glare and by what looked like him crouching down to get the right angle - he'd done the same to the other 5 (totally legally parked) cars too, they all had tickets. Contested, won.

Second was a traffic warden who slapped a ticket on the car having seen only me get out of it (the passenger's side, mind) in a disabled bay while it was (correctly) displaying the blue badge. Mrs CC had popped into work while I waited in the car, she was taking rather a long time (coffee, catching up on gossip, nattering) so I wandered in to remind her she'd only popped in for 5 minutes. The obviously rather dim warden missed the little tell-tale giveaways like it being a highly adapted vehicle with a tail lift, an electronic ramp, complex drive-by-wire hand controls and NO FECKING DRIVING SEAT (Mrs drives from her wheelchair). He'd seen me get out of it and thought 'Yeahhhhhhh, faker'. Contested, won.

pkf72

War Hero
Is this true only for the disabled? I as ticketed about two years ago by a nob with a camera for stopping for 10 seconds to let someone out on double yellows near a train station.

no its not just for disabled persons, anybody is allowed to stop on double yellows to enable passengers to alight. ( you can even pull over on them to answer your phone) they just mean you cannot park there. unless there is other signage saying otherwise.

its always worth contesting a parking ticket from the local authorities as many now dont have the cash to see it through to court and never ever ever pay a penalty notice from a private parking contractor as they are reasonably powerless to get the money off you, ( hence why they are happy to take 50% payment if paid within 14 days as people think its a better option)

i have had many tickets from private parking contractors over the years and have never paid one, they can threaten court action and bailifs but nothing has ever happend.

and never ever ever pay a penalty notice from a private parking contractor as they are reasonably powerless to get the money off you, ( hence why they are happy to take 50% payment if paid within 14 days as people think its a better option)

i have had many tickets from private parking contractors over the years and have never paid one, they can threaten court action and bailifs but nothing has ever happend.

Spot on. They can only apply to DVLA to find the owner of the vehicle. The ticket is actually issued because you failed to pay for parking as instructed on signage and that by entering the car park you accepted the terms and conditions and entered into a "contract" agreeing to pay. But it's the owner of the vehicle who gets the ticket, not the person who drove into the car park whilst they were using your car! And you are not legally obliged to identify that said driver.

DieHard

LE
Book Reviewer
The other annoying thing is that when they apply for details from dvlc they also get the taxation class of the vehicle, if they had bothered to look they would of seen it says disabled.
On a good point however I have managed to speak to my local council and told them the situation.
They said that by paying I had admitted guilt so I said the wording of the notice was intimidating.
Eventually they agreed that if vinci parking does not refund me after my appeal then they would make sure that they would.
I even got her name,, time off call and asked her if they record there calls, they do and I asked her to save this call if needed for future reference.
I also told her that I was recording it on my mobile too at the start of our chat.
So it does look like I will get a refund from someone, but if the council didn't have sneaky scum( I was in the army you know.. 3 weeks before binning it) cctv operatives and dealings with a dubious company, who don't check vehicle details, then this wouldn't of happened.
Oh and if I hadn't chosen that spot to have emergency medication. The meds worked too 5 minutes later I was at the monster in laws drinking her superb coffee

The other annoying thing is that when they apply for details from dvlc they also get the taxation class of the vehicle, if they had bothered to look they would of seen it says disabled.
On a good point however I have managed to speak to my local council and told them the situation.
They said that by paying I had admitted guilt so I said the wording of the notice was intimidating.
Eventually they agreed that if vinci parking does not refund me after my appeal then they would make sure that they would.
I even got her name,, time off call and asked her if they record there calls, they do and I asked her to save this call if needed for future reference.
I also told her that I was recording it on my mobile too at the start of our chat.
So it does look like I will get a refund from someone, but if the council didn't have sneaky scum( I was in the army you know.. 3 weeks before binning it) cctv operatives and dealings with a dubious company, who don't check vehicle details, then this wouldn't of happened.
Oh and if I hadn't chosen that spot to have emergency medication. The meds worked too 5 minutes later I was at the monster in laws drinking her superb coffee

Well done mate, good that you're getting your dosh back. But lesson learned ... don't pay the ******* in the first place :)