Parking tickets

DieHard

LE
Book Reviewer
I just received a parking ticket from my local authority. Normally I wouldn't make a fuss over it but this time its a bit different. firstly I have paid the fine because at the end of the day I was on a double yellow.
I went out the other day but only got a short distance before I started to get a chest pain, so I pulled over to use my GTN spray, it was while I was Sat there doing this that I was caught on camera by one of them sneaky council cars.
The car is registered as disabled as am I.
Do you think this is sufficient grounds to ask them to cancel the notice and refund the money I have paid?
Usually I wouldn't contest a ticket because if I do get one its because I have parked wrongly, but this time if I hadn't stopped I could of had an accident

I'd give it a go - it was either that or (I assume) things could have got a lot more serious quickly. It'll only cost the price of a postage stamp.

DieHard

LE
Book Reviewer
I'd give it a go - it was either that or (I assume) things could have got a lot more serious quickly. It'll only cost the price of a postage stamp.
They could of got more serious also when you use the spray it lowers your blood pressure so you need to wait a few minutes before driving off

if your registerd disabled and have a blue badge you can legally park on double yellow lines.

if you were in the car when the picture was taken, your not classed as parked just stopped, you can legally stop on double yellow lines.

stopping for a medical emergency. you can stop anywhere even if it is signed not to stop.

i hope this helps

if your registerd disabled and have a blue badge you can legally park on double yellow lines.

if you were in the car when the picture was taken, your not classed as parked just stopped, you can legally stop on double yellow lines.

stopping for a medical emergency. you can stop anywhere even if it is signed not to stop.

i hope this helps

Pretty much covers it!

DieHard

LE
Book Reviewer
They could of got more serious also when you use the spray it lowers your blood pressure so you need to wait a few minutes before driving off
Make sure your driving licence is correct first ie have you informed DVLA of your disability and got a new licence.
See here for list of conditions,
https://www.gov.uk/health-conditions-and-driving

https://www.gov.uk/browse/driving/disability-health-condition
Thanks that's quite a list. I don't need to tell dvla at the moment only if the arrythmia returns to constant as opposed to on and off at the moment.
There have been times when I have had to stop altogether...ie heart attacks and vt the first you have to wait a month the latter when the professionals say its ok to do so.

M

Mr_Tigger

Is this true only for the disabled? I as ticketed about two years ago by a nob with a camera for stopping for 10 seconds to let someone out on double yellows near a train station.

I think it would have been a very good reason to challenge the ticket, but I don't think you have much of a chance of getting it refunded once paid. Just my opinion. Sorry.

Thanks that's quite a list. I don't need to tell dvla at the moment only if the arrythmia returns to constant as opposed to on and off at the moment.
There have been times when I have had to stop altogether...ie heart attacks and vt the first you have to wait a month the latter when the professionals say its ok to do so.
I didn't know about all them either until 2 years ago after surgery I was diagnosed with Diabetes and part of the info they gave me was about informing DVLA plus my insurance company as well and had to get a new licence that lasts for just 3 years.

DieHard

LE
Book Reviewer
I think it would have been a very good reason to challenge the ticket, but I don't think you have much of a chance of getting it refunded once paid. Just my opinion. Sorry.
I did initially think that but on reading the letter it says that I can challenge even after paying.
I'm gonna put in a challenge but not overdo it or as my Mrs says they may challenge my right to drive.
It is safe for me to do so, because even when I had my MI,'s I had a few minutes warning with other symptoms.
Most people just get hit by it in one massive blow, its helped me quite a bit

No such thing as registered didabled anymore, I would be more concerned about some jobsworth informing DVLA that you were unfit to drive due to your health and your license being revoked!!

You can challenge the ticket after payment but will get nowhere. You've paid, they won't refund. You should have refused to pay and then appealed and would no doubt get the 'on this occasion' letter. I have so far refused to pay 6 parking tickets (3 local authority and 3 private) based on disability and not paid once. I think if you've paid, you're fucked. Might get a sympathetic letter but no refund.

Edited to add: my condition has been notified to DVLA and my excuse has been 'had to park as too hazardous to continue driving'.