Parking across pavement

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Detonator, Apr 9, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I live in a bit of a sh1tty area and the roads are really bad. The local Chav Bde go roaring around in their little hatchbacks with no concern for life and limb.

There's a business down the road who park their wagons on the path so people have to walk on the road at a particulalry nasty junction. Its particulalry bad for people with prams

I've gripped them before but I dont think they really took it onboard, they just said that it 'was the designated parking area' and made it better for a day or so.

Its their rangerovers and vans, they park on their property but the arse end hangs out over the path. In the case of vans the rear wheels are on the path.

I'm not just being an officious little barsteward, it is dangerous and they're just being lazy.

So. What can be done, aside from blowing th fcukers up? Is it illegal?

2. I would think it comes under wilfully obstructing, without lawful authority or excuse, free passage along the highway, contrary to s 137 of the Highways Act 1980.

3. wilfully obstructing the highway and/or unnecessary obstruction. Call old Bill (non urgent number!) and state that it is potentially dangerous to other road users.. The police can issue non endorsable (£30 fine) tickets to each and all.

Note, parking on the pavement counts as the 'highway' under Road Traffic Act when it comes to issuing tickets.

4. you have answered your own question..
    if they are a danger to the public then they should be reported to the highways authority or the police to prevent accidents or fatalities..

5. wilfully obstructing the highway and/or unnecessary obstruction. Call old Bill (non urgent number!) and state that it is potentially dangerous to other road users.. The police can issue non endorsable (£30 fine) tickets to each and all.

Note, parking on the pavement counts as the 'highway' under Road Traffic Act when it comes to issuing tickets.

6. I'd say it was illegal to park on a public pathway, simply because it's not a road.

I drive a refuse truck and we are not allowed to mount the pavement at any time, we still do it because it would be impossible to do our job otherwise. Speak to the local councillor and see if he/she cant find a solution eg: double yellow lines or bollards.

7. Yes, it's obstruction. Take pictures so there's no argument.
    What the police are likely to do about it is anyone's guess though. Worth a try down at your local friendly nick. Try your local district, or town councillor as they may be interested enough to do something about it.
    Ours sits on the watch and transport committee so he has a beef about this stuff regularly - and gets results too.

8. I believe so, or at least you can get a ticket for it but the two don't necessarily go together. Either way, if they are hanging over or parking on a public footpath, I'm not sure how they can 'designate' it as the parking area.

I had a similar problem in York where vans and trucks parking on the pavement near my house constantly cracked the paving stones. The council's answer to this was... replace the pavement surface with something stronger (and more unsightly) rather than stop them from wrecking the place.

9. Highway Code <--- See for the whole lot

and

Google is your friend! :wink:

11. <Double post removed>

12. Happy days, what a response. Thanks everyone.

Reaches for camera...

13. We had a mong near my old apartment do something similar: while everyone else parallel parked on the road, he drove up onto the pavement, blocking it completely (this was on a very busy road).

First offense I just 'tutted' and went on my way thinking the owner was a cúnt.

Second time I deflated one of his tyres and left a note asking him not to park like that again (to do this I had to call my wench to tell me how to spell the message correctly as this happened in Budapest and my written Magyar is rubbish).

Third time I deflated all 4 of his tyres.

Fourth time I deflated all 4 tyres and scratched into his bonnet "Don't park here you cúnt" (but only down to the metal). Funnily enough he never did it again.

While I am not suggesting you take this path, if the plod don't help then have a word with the owner of the company and not some mong employee. If he faces a drastic rise in his insurance premiums then he will do something about it (don't do an act of vandalism, just accidentally bump into them with a shopping trolley full of sharp objects. As the vehicle is illegally parked you should not be held liable.

14. No, it isn't illegal to park on or half on a pavement, in fact in our local town the council insist on it on some residential streets so that cars can get by, and the parking bays are painted accordingly, half on the pavement. However it is illegal to obstruct the pavement so that you can't safely get by the vehicle, and if that's happening then the local police may well be able to help you.

15. obstruct - hinder or prevent the progress or accomplishment of