Parker Hale rail - thread size?

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Yet another irritating question relating to me getting my T4 running even more smoothly...

A hand stop rail (see pic showing similar) is fitted on my T4, and I'd like to use the rail to install a bipod with bolts. However, the threads of the holes in the rail are not as I was told 0BA, and being a very fine thread, I'm having trouble identifying exactly what it is.

1630412681316.png

Does anyone happen to know what thread the five locating holes on the rail are?

Failing that, any idea where I might find out?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Cheers...

4(T)

LE
Yet another irritating question relating to me getting my T4 running even more smoothly...

A hand stop rail (see pic showing similar) is fitted on my T4, and I'd like to use the rail to install a bipod with bolts. However, the threads of the holes in the rail are not as I was told 0BA, and being a very fine thread, I'm having trouble identifying exactly what it is.

View attachment 600728

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Cheers...

Maybe ask Norman Clark - he has all the old PH stock and documentation. IIRC there was a PH adaptor to put a PH bipod directly on the rail - so he might know of that or a similar bodge.

There is also a PH handstop with the bipod mount (a spike thing) already integrated into it; thats another option.

I used the bolt from an old handstop to make an adaptor. These days I'm normally more into removing the rail and replacing it with a wood fillet to restore the forend!

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Maybe ask Norman Clark - he has all the old PH stock and documentation. IIRC there was a PH adaptor to put a PH bipod directly on the rail - so he might know of that or a similar bodge.

There is also a PH handstop with the bipod mount (a spike thing) already integrated into it; thats another option.

I used the bolt from an old handstop to make an adaptor. These days I'm normally more into removing the rail and replacing it with a wood fillet to restore the forend!

Well, you sir are a scholar and a gent (as is Norman). Thank you!

The attachment holes are threaded 1/4" BSF obvs. At least it wasn't a 7/8 Gripley...

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
After a minor flurry of ebay purchases (thread gauges and a couple of selections of bolts), I have now determined that contrary to information received (and given in good faith I'm sure) the thread for the holes in the handstop rail is actually 1/4" UNF. This morning a pack of 4 1/4" UNF Allen headed cap screw bolts arrived:

1630767152804.png

After some titivation with hacksaw, file and a 7 mm drill, the cheapo kinda-copy of a Harris bipod (which I'd originally had screwed onto the T4's sling swivel post until recoil caused the locating rivets to detach) is now firmly attached to the handstop rail:

1630767396871.png

I'm off to Bisley tomorrow shooting at 600m, so no waiting around to see whether this simple mod survives the range:

1630767519252.png

jinxy

LE

View attachment 600728

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Cheers...
Just be a better shot.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
I'd have thought you may have a sense of humor.

For the record, though I shot at Bisley and I was in the shooting team in all the units I served in.
I do sometimes have a sense of humour, and I'm sure you'll be delighted to know that your self justification of "I've shot at Bisley, me!" has definitely twanged my funny bone.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
It went very well, thank you. The bipod is rock solid, and I've shot off it several times now. Along with the comb raising slip, it's massively improved my accuracy.

jinxy

LE
I shot the 9mm Browning, the guys from the RAF made me look like an armature, but then it was only ever my back up.. The target rifle comp was a knock-out shoot, the last 2 shot for over an hour until one missed the bull..

Latest Threads