• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

PARK RANGER SEES OF BRITISH ARMY

A German park ranger called in the troops after a standoff with British soldiers who were trying to 'invade' his park.

Juergen Peukert, 60, stopped a British jeep, containing a major and a sergeant, from going into the Hartz mountains, reports Bild.

The jeep was one of 15 military vehicles containing over 100 troops set to take part in a long-planned training exercise in the area, codenamed Silver Head.

But Mr Peukert, who has worked as a park ranger for 10 years, said: "Carrying out military manoeuvres in national parks is forbidden.

"The Harz mountains cover a huge area and are extremely important to this region's ecology. They contain hundreds of endangered plants and animals that are under protection, and we can't allow hundreds of soldiers to run around trampling everything underfoot.

"The British officers had permission to drive up the mountain pathway, but not to carry out manoeuvres there, by the time I discovered them they had already set up a huge tent some metres high to act as a base."

In the end, German troops backed the ranger and the British were forced to return to their base.

Colin Gordon, chief liaison officer of the British armed forces in Germany, said it was an "isolated incident" and promised no "British in uniforms or military vehicles" would be seen in the Harz national park again.

He said British troops had now been briefed about the importance of the national park following the incident - and that the soldiers in the park had simply made a mistake with their location.
Poor bunny wabbits

:D :D

1. Sees OFF (apologies, a bit pedantic).
2. Do we have Jeeps now?
3. Barstewards probably trying to hide the lost POW labour camp my grandad was forced to work in there during WW1. Silly bugger volunteered at 15: captured in 1916 after a week at the front.
4. Is Silberhutte (Adv Trg) lodge still in operation anyone?

"British troops had now been briefed about the importance of the national park following the incident"

Train Green! :D

...British Army sources refused to comment on the activities of soldiers in the area or the purpose of their presence, but German spokesman, Ranger Schmidt, commented that some security camera footage of the troops appeared to be "particularly incriminating".

After being part of a detail that was told to bury about 50 partially full,25 litre oil cannisters whilst on exercise in N.Germany in ´74,right next to a Water Protection Area (Wasserschutzgebiet) sign,yes I can understand the guys worries.I pointed out to the SQMS whose detail it was the sign,and was told to shut the f*ck up.

There are enough already ruined areas in Germany on which to train on, Luneburg,Soltau and Grafenwohr spring readily to mind.

Due to the German `habit`of building villages and towns every couple of kilometers,there´s not a lot of unspoilt forestry left and quite a few areas are still suffering from the fallout of Chernobyl,no joke!

B

Biscuits_AB

RHODESIAN said:
Should have buttstroked the boxhead barsteward and reminded him who won the war
Come on admit it........you're just a bluff old traditionalist aren't you? :lol:

Biscuits_AB said:
RHODESIAN said:
Come on admit it........you're just a bluff old traditionalist aren't you? :lol:[/quote

I would have ignored the ranger but at the same time humming the dambusters theme. :wink: after buttrashing him as rhodesian suggests. :D

Biscuits_AB said:
RHODESIAN said:
Come on admit it........you're just a bluff old traditionalist aren't you? :lol:

Rumbled but if you want to avoid the violence i am sure he would have done a Nelson if the O/C had offered him a few jerricans of derv,that used to be universal currency in BOAR as I remember

I would of confronted the krautes, not ran away or backed down and if they tried something just tell them why we are still in their country when the cold war has finished!

I think the old HQ 3 Shock Army should be contacted to provide evidence of their environmentally aware advance to contact policies 'No persistant nerve agent in this area shaded on the map, its a conservation area'.

I can remember doing something like midnight mentioned as my vehicle dumped it's POL.....

Well we have a new TEWT area. :twisted:

Toe.

dan_man said:
I would of confronted the krautes, not ran away or backed down and if they tried something just tell them why we are still in their country when the cold war has finished!
I would OF/have...

Loosened all the tent pegs

Returned at 3 a.m.

Tossed a few XM84s into said tent

Watched the ensuing panic/chaos/retreat/white flags

frenchperson said:
dan_man said:
I would OF/have...

Returned at 3 a.m.

Who would be surrendering the boxheads?

RHODESIAN said:
frenchperson said:
dan_man said:
I would OF/have...

Returned at 3 a.m.

Er, no. The ones in the tent. Which I thought was self-explanatory.

frenchperson said:
RHODESIAN said:
frenchperson said:
dan_man said:
I would OF/have...

Returned at 3 a.m.

Er, no. The ones in the tent. Which I thought was self-explanatory.

British Soldiers surrender to a frenchman?

"There are enough already ruined areas in Germany on which to train on, Luneburg,Soltau and Grafenwohr spring readily to mind."

No No No Lad,

All of these training area's have been cleaned up and handed back to the the local Stadts and Forest Miesters.

This image is taken near the old Tank Bridge looking towards what was area 3 and strip woods.

If you look hard enough you can see Wolfgang selling beer near Apex woods :D

MacSapper said:
"There are enough already ruined areas in Germany on which to train on, Luneburg,Soltau and Grafenwohr spring readily to mind."

No No No Lad,

All of these training area's have been cleaned up and handed back to the the local Stadts and Forest Miesters.

This image is taken near the old Tank Bridge looking towards what was area 3 and strip woods.

If you look hard enough you can see Wolfgang selling beer near Apex woods :D

[/quot

NO no no Lad,

Grafenwohr is still being used by the yanks and british,though the locals still complain especially when a round goes through the infant schools roof.

The picture is a bit reasuring,but how long will it take before any sort of crop farming can take place;Most of Luneberg´s Heath got burned in ´76 so it´s not just a Brit instigated problem.I´m no tree hugger but squaddies and trees just don´t mix,in fact anything inflammable or mildly combustable,will fuel any troopers urge to get out a crate of beer, a handfull of spuds and turn 50 odd years of gentle nurture,into a pile of ashes;I know I was that trooper!

And yes I remember Wolfgang,he always knew where we paused on exercise,which was damn near miraculous as we were always lost! :p